Home Sports Talk
Options

Barkley says Pro Athletes should get vaccine first

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

He says they pay more taxes so they should get preferential treatment and skip the line to get the vaccine.

what do you think??

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 10:15AM

This opinion is about as good as his golf swing.

ETA:

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did he really say that? Was he being serious?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

apparently he said it last night on the NBA broadcast. his two co-hosts were in disagreement. I read it on a news sight

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

If you really want to stir up class-based controversy, this is how you do it. Screw the proletariat, vaccinate the bourgeoisie.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought, is he serious? He can't be that stupid.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 10:40AM

They just rolled out the vaccine at 2 sites in OC. I spent 2 days probably a total of 6 hours trying to get the vaccine for an over 65 year old. The app, and website run by the county of OC makes a new, hot release from the mint a walk in the park. Nobody can get an appointment.

I finally got scheduled for one at Disneyland. If I see Barkley in line there, me and the other seniors will jump him, and beat him with our canes.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 11:18AM

my mom (76) and dad (75) -- both sans underlying conditions -- received 1 of 2 of the moderna earlier this week. but by all accounts the rollout where they live is disorganized. while filling out paperwork they overheard the pharmacist saying that there were a couple of extra doses remaining (apparently my parents were the last ones on the list). my mom asked what they planned on doing with those, and the guy said something to the effect of "just give it to whomever." 5 minutes later my mom's 65ish-year-old friend with diabetes was at the supermarket.............when it normally takes 10 to get there.

(btw Barkley's swing needs to be vaccinated)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the public arena, of course as was mentioned, the elderly, etc, will receive it first.

In reality, one way or another, the rich always get what they want first.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

ETA:

Am I wrong, or did I see that he recently (within the last couple of years) fixed his swing and made it into a "normal" swing?

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

ETA:

No wonder over the years, that Barkley has lost millions of dollars getting hustled on the golf course.

With that swing, it's like taking candy from a baby. :D

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

Am I wrong, or did I see that he recently (within the last couple of years) fixed his swing and made it into a "normal" swing?

vast improvement, actually. he had a hitch for the ages, but a swing instructor got hold of him and smoothed it out

before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvpwG50fLnU

after (ff to 3:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRWNvFT3wY

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@LarkinCollector said:

ETA:

It's much improved of late, after decades of having to watch many variations of his hitches.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always how the heck he ever got a swing like that in the first place. I mean, the man has watched golf, he knows what a swing is supposed to look like and yet his didn't even look like a poor imitation.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't believe at least one privileged pro/well to do has not jumped the line. We will never know for sure.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I recall when Mickey Mantle received a liver transplant, and for a variety of reasons some said that he received it before others more deserving of it because Mantle was a famous sports star.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

But my Queen the people have no bread.
    Let them eat cake.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I recall when Mickey Mantle received a liver transplant, and for a variety of reasons some said that he received it before others more deserving of it because Mantle was a famous sports star.

My dad died waiting for a heart transplant and I was pretty mad about that at the time.

After looking into it, it looks like they did not do that, at the time they gave organs to those critically in need.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

useless drunks shouldn't get livers to poison all over again.

no drunks allowed on the liver list should be the rule

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

One of the books I read on Mantle, some of the Doctors stated a more in need recipient should of received the transplant. One who could of lived years more than a few months. Sometimes rank does have it's privileges.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    My first thought, is he serious? He can't be that stupid.

I bet he is!

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

useless drunks shouldn't get livers to poison all over again.

no drunks allowed on the liver list should be the rule

True.

Mantle had sobered up for the required period of time.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@stevek said:

One of the books I read on Mantle, some of the Doctors stated a more in need recipient should of received the transplant. One who could of lived years more than a few months. Sometimes rank does have it's privileges.

He was the patient at the time in most dire need of a transplant. I also think the rules may have been changed and he would now be allowed to die.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

He's often obnoxious and I don't always agree with him, but I must admit that I do like that he shares his opinion frankly and frequently find him to be a funny commentator, He seems to be a likeable guy, from a distance anyhow. In this case however, Sir Charles is simply wrong. Vaccination preferences should be based on health factors, not wealth factors. Sometimes I think Barkley says things just to get a rise out of people but he used poor judgment by voicing such an arrogant and ignorant opinion here.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't agree but the case could be made that essential workers should be towards the front of the line and those that pay an enormous amount of taxes are essential to the government.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

barkley isn't a pro anymore he isn't saying he gets a jab first , his tv job depends on sports taking place , he just wants to keep his job

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 8:22PM

We will see.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 8:22PM

Only time will tell.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Barkley of course started his NBA career in Philadelphia and played here for a number of years. So Philly sports fans know him quite well.

Charles was an excellent basketball player and future Hall of Famer, and he did have a certain charm that could be considered entertaining. That being said, hearing it day after day, year after year, along with some of his antics, began to become tiresome to the point where not many Philly sports fans, despite his talent on the court, were all that sad when he left Philadelphia.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Barkley of course started his NBA career in Philadelphia and played here for a number of years. So Philly sports fans know him quite well.

Charles was an excellent basketball player and future Hall of Famer, and he did have a certain charm that could be considered entertaining. That being said, hearing it day after day, year after year, along with some of his antics, began to become tiresome to the point where not many Philly sports fans, despite his talent on the court, were all that sad when he left Philadelphia.

Great player, but kind of an idiot.