Home Q & A Forum
Options

Error Coins or Not

I need some help. When I find a coin that is different than the others in the same date etc. How do I tell if it is a real error? I have a Louisiana State Quarter that has a bar across the Pelicans beak, no other has this, it is not a gouge or damage. Help will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Post photos in this thread or make a post on the main board like you did with your Kennedy.

• Options

Here is a picture. I am new hope this comes thru.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a contact mark or post mint damage, it may be a small strike-thru but it is hard to tell for sure from the photo.
    Either way it would not add any extra value to the coin.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 12:52PM

I also think it's a hit/contact mark.

I don't think it's a strike through because it is straight and flat. If it was grease/debris wouldn't it be somewhat irregular, and if it were a wire or metal wouldn't it be contoured to the design of the bird's bill and not flat? And if it wire or metal, would it still be straight AND fit exactly to the length of the recessed area on the die? (it ends right at the edge of the raised bill). Also, there may some displaced metal on the right edge (hard to tell though)

In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't really matter as @ifthevamzarockin said, but it was fun (at least for me) to think it through. Your mileage may vary ;)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Thank You for the info. I wasn't sure what I had

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look like a contact mark.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, that bar thingie in on top of the bird bill mouth lips. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall