Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1818 B-9 Capped Bust Quarter

NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new addition to my bust quarter collection recently arrived: an 1818 B-9 graded VG8.

1818 B-9 is the toughest die marriage for the year, and the die state with the arrowhead clashes above the cap on the obverse is especially popular with collectors. Unfortunately this coin is an earlier die state before the arrowhead clashes formed, but it’s still a welcome addition to my collection. Maybe someday I’ll get an example with the clashes.

The reverse die was first used to strike B-7, during which the crack through the N in UNITED began to develop. The reverse was then used to strike B-9. As more B-9’s were struck, the crack developed further. The reverse was then used to strike more B-7’s with the heavy die crack present.

If you own an 1818 B-9, feel free to post it (especially if it has the clash marks, because those are always a treat to see).

Comments

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin is too small...should be twice its size. ;)

For some unknown reason, I've never really gotten into bust quarters. I've done half dimes, dimes, and of course halves, but somehow I missed quarters. Yours are nice.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

Bumping for the evening crowd to see if anyone else owns an 1818 B-9.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 4:46PM

I like this variety very much! The clashing, the huge die crack, and the mysterious B-7 remarriage that came afterward. Here's an example from a set I've been slowly breaking up.

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    I like this variety very much! The clashing, the huge die crack, and the mysterious B-7 remarriage that came afterward. Here's an example from a set I've been slowly breaking up.

Nice example! Probably one of the coolest die states for the entire series.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my LDS......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the new addition. Great coin.

• Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

Nice B-9 NSP. When I see the reverse die crack on 1818's but no arrowhead clashing, I start wondering if it's the early die state B-9 or a B-7.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file