Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What card do wish you had picked up sooner (and had the chance) but now its simply out of reach?

Of course most here would probably say the 86 Jordan seeing how prices have skyrocketed over the past year but something more realistic for me that I actually wanted since I am more of baseball fan, it would probably be the 68 Nolan Ryan RC in an 8. It's not that it's fully out of reach (yet) but there's just so many other cards I also would love to own and seeing the prices compared to what they were just three to four years ago hurts when I look at todays prices. I'm not giving up hope on that one just yet but it's slipping further each year it feels.

Comments

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

well i wish i could have picked up a psa 7 68 topps ryan and bench rookies. i have psa 6 of both i just wish i had sevens. another card is the 1982 topps base cal ripken jr rookie in psa 10.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

'48 Jackie Robinson in a 6 continues to elude me; probably gone forever unless a market crash.
    Woulda, shoulda, coulda bought a 5 at a show 4 years ago for $2000

• Options

Summer of ‘18 I was offered a Goudey Ruth PSA 1. He was asking $2,000. Those funds ended up going toward another awesome card but after seeing how much the ‘33 Ruths have shot up...damn, I wish I had come up with the $$ .

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

1955 Jackie Robinson psa-8.5

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

1952 Mantle PSA 8. I could have actually afforded the one that sold for $50k back in 2007.

There are tons of unopened packs I could add to this list as well.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    1952 Mantle PSA 8. I could have actually afforded the one that sold for $50k back in 2007.

That one stings. The most recent PSA 8's were selling at around $450K and now with the most recent record breaking sale of the PSA 9, it looks like its going to break the 600K mark (or maybe even higher). Can't wait till they hit the million mark. Guessing within the next 5-8 years.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:

@gemint said:

That one stings. The most recent PSA 8's were selling at around $450K and now with the most recent record breaking sale of the PSA 9, it looks like its going to break the 600K mark (or maybe even higher). Can't wait till they hit the million mark. Guessing within the next 5-8 weeks.

At the rate things are going, FIFY.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

2000 Brady Rookie ticket. I remember I bought the SPA instead because I liked the aesthetics of the card better. I was wrong on that one I guess. The contenders has gone up so high that I would have to sell some big ticket cards to acquire one. unfortunately, paying all those taxes to uncle sam is not that appealing so I would have to set up a trade, which seems unlikely.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

All unopened material from the 80s...........I've finally started buying some after years of watching you guys talk about it.....and I'm paying HIGH prices

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

1952 Topps Mantle SGC 2....I was the direct under bidder at $4k around 5 years ago.

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

1974 Topps Harold Carmichael RC and 1996 Brian Dawkins RCs before they joined the HOF.

Jason

• Options
    kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

Mines was 10yr ago could have gotten alex ovechkin psa 9 sp authentic for $499 passed on that

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Walter Payton RC PSA 10. Went from aspirational to "gotta win the lottery first".

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 11:32AM

For me it’s actually a card I DID have but life got in the way and had to sell it. Wish I had done better with my finances so I could've kept it. Had to sell it in 2017. Needless to say I wish I still had it and probably won’t be able to afford it again with how much that card has appreciated.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

2000 bowman chrome tom Brady psa 10. A guy had one at the Philly show 2 years ago for $2100 and I offered $1900. We both passed. Really regret that now.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@76collector said:
    For me it’s actually a card I DID have but life got in the way and had to sell it. Wish I had done better with my finances so I could've kept it. Had to sell it in 2017. Needless to say I wish I still had it and probably won’t be able to afford it again with how much that card has appreciated.

It's a shame to have to sell a favorite card to pay a bill. I've had to do that myself. '54 Aaron in a 4.5 BVG, beautifully centered. My thought was easily upgrade in a couple years. Never have been able to replace it.

A hot and rising market is fun to watch, however extremely disappointing getting priced out of key rookie cards.

• Options

1990 Topps NNOF. When I got back into collecting in 2007 they were much more affordable. I made the worst decision ever to put off acquiring one.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Julius Erving RC in a high grade

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Psa 6 Gregg Jeffries rookie.
    Wish I would have pulled the trigger in 1999.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when Joe Montana rookies were affordable. wish I would have picked one up then!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2021 9:02AM

I remember when Joe Montana rookies were affordable. wish I would have picked one up then!

The Montana rookies did shoot up in price but then came back down again. Not to the point they were ($700-800 range) but they still came down from $2800 to about $1700 a couple of months ago. I mean he one of the greatest QB's to play the game. Probably the second greatest arguably. They are again going to rise so you may as well grab one.

Consider selling off some items you can live without so you can grab a copy. I have done that plenty of times.

• Options

A 10 just sold for $60,000.00. Another for $45,000.00.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Oh, I thought you were talking about a PSA 9. Yeah, the 10's have shot up. Didn't know you were talking about the elusive 10. That ship has certainly sailed.

• Options

@Vagabond said:
    Oh, I thought you were talking about a PSA 9. Yeah, the 10's have shot up. Didn't know you were talking about the elusive 10. That ship has certainly sailed.

I thought that was the only thing people collected now-a-days. ;-)

9's are at $2800 with one selling for $6500 in November. I would be happy with a well centered 9, but I don't have that kind (or even $1700) of money to spend.

He's my choice as one of the top 5-6 guys for GOAT. just because Brady has more SB wins doesn't impress me, he has more losses too.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:
    1974 Topps Harold Carmichael RC and 1996 Brian Dawkins RCs before they joined the HOF.

Jason

Cards similar to those mentioned for the most part. I can add PSA 10 1982 Topps Lawrence Taylor. That was certainly attainable. 86 OPC PSA 9 Patrick Roy. Whiffed on Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard PSA 7 rookies a few years back.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 7:28PM

1939 Ted Williams Play ball. A few ago you could get one of these at a 7 or 8 at a decent price. They were undervalued for a longtime. I let go a SGC 7 back in 2009. Big mistake.

Also any of the 2003 netpro Tennis rookies.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BigMike79BigMike79 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

In terms of realistic buys 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens PSA 10. For 1980s i only pick up 10s. I always had that card on my "buy soon" list. I somehow bought an 8 with a bid i didn't think would win. But the 10's were going for 400 when i was looking. I saw one listed by 4SC for over 4 grand. Kicking myself now

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

more black knight 252.
    bought a few on a tip.
    shoulda listened better though.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

Yeah, the one that kills me is I could have had a GAI 9 1971 wax pack for $1000 in 2014 and I passed because I thought it was outrageous. I’m not sure I was wrong, but $3000 is more outrageous.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I was at the Wilmington Card Show in MA about 6 years ago and saw a PSA 3- 1933 Lou Gehrig #160 for $1400. I had the cash with me and had the intention of finding it then since it was the last Goudey Gehrig card i needed (I have the #92 in PSA 3 and the 2- 1934 Goudeys in PSA 3). I was about to buy it when someone told me that $1400 was too high of a price to pay for that card in that condition. I knew better but put the money in my pocket and walked away. I don't think you could touch that card for under $3K now. It haunts me still.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not that it's out of reach, but there are many that I passed on in the past from Europe because shipping was double the card cost and I couldn't find anything else from the seller to make shipping worthwhile. Now I just don't want to pay the price for something that is still a $5-10 item in my head: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiger-Woods-ROOKIE-Card-Sported-Magazine-Shooting-Stars-1997/114626955418

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a show probably in 2004 or 2005, after the Patriots 2nd Super Bowl win

I passed on a Tom Brady 2000 Upper Deck SP-AUTHENTIC PSA -10 for $500

Thought it was too much money so I bought the Tom Brady 2000 Upper Deck SPX PSA-10 for $300 instead

Still not a bad "investment" but boy what a difference now

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

Most 1980s OPC Gretzkys in PSA 9. I have a few but now wish I’d just bought the others.

• Options
    Tibbs4Tibbs4 Posts: 66 ✭✭

1966 Topps Bobby Orr

• Options
    Billyk97Billyk97 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

So far, after reading all of the stories, I haven't had any of the buying stories that everyone else has had. Just haven't been in long enough. I have been more gotten lucky on the timing. However, the only thing I ever regret doing is giving away my pokemon and yugioh cards. On top of collecting baseball cards, I was big into yugioh and pokemon. I remember my parents buying yugioh cards when they first came out back in 2002 and my dad for my 7th birthday bought a huge collection of the first edition pokemon cards from a guy off eBay for dirt cheap. Needless to say, I got older and didn't really care about them anymore. I wanted to find someone that would truly care for the cards. I ended up giving them away to a guy that was in my church, who to this day, still has them and appreciates them. I'm glad I gave it to someone who appreciates them. However, seeing how crazy the prices of some of these cards have gone and just about every single one that are valuable I remember having. Just irks me a little lol

• Options
    bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I have a lot of pack-pulled Kobe rookies from back in 1996, but I wish I picked up a bunch of them in PSA 9 & 10 a year or two ago before everything went nuts.

I had quit collecting in the late 90s and didn't start again until recently so I missed out on LeBron as well.

• Options

Everything on the Buyers Club List.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Psa 6 Gregg Jeffries rookie.
    Wish I would have pulled the trigger in 1999.

Me too!

Mine would be a 1985 fleer Eric Davis. He couldbeen a contenda!

Seriously for me, it would have been to buy more than just one stupid box of 1986-7 fleer basketball cards when they came out.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am coming to the realization...it is nearly every sportscard!

mint_only_pls