Home Sports Talk

Russell Wilson may not like this

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pete Carroll is apparently going to make some changes next season, and Russell Wilson may not like it. The story goes, Pete Carroll is planning on running the ball more next season and not letting Russell Wilson take so many deep shots down field.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportscasting.com/russell-wilson-has-received-bad-news-about-his-nfl-future/?amp

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russell Wilson was an MVP candidate early in the season, but then it all fell apart. Midway through the season he had 2,541 passing yards, 28 TDs, 5 INT and a 117.1 passer rating. During his final eight games, he had 1,671 passing yards, 12TDs, 5 INT and a 91.3 passer rating.

edited January 13, 2021 3:37AM

Seahawks offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has been fired, so the wheels are already starting to turn. The Seahawks cited the reason for the firing as "philosophical differences."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30701471/seattle-seahawks-citing-philosophical-differences-part-offensive-coordinator-brian-schottenheimer?platform=amp

My goodness, all of this news is overwhelming. Just let me catch my breath here.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russell has nobody to blame but himself

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I don't agree . The offense has changed into something that doesn't work as well for wilson and it seems dumb to move away from the QB's strength then blame him if it doesn't work well.

There is a lot of "System" stupidity in the NFL lately and its turning into baseball.

Whats wrong with keeping things simple and going with what works?

We are seeing a lot of questionable coaching decisions that seem to be analytics based. Some friggin nerd calls in and says oh don't kick go for it on 4th theres a 1.5% higher chance of a positive outcome.

Was it the colts buffalo game this week? Before half time the colts try a 4th and 2 and fail. Easy kick but nope go for it , its a fail buffalo marches down gets the TD instead . That had nerd written all over it.

Nerds are in seattle screwing with wilson , remember HALO ? :D That was nerds and Pete got the blame . Beast mode for the TD don't need to look at your ipad on the sideline game over idiots

Why would wilson be opposed to more running? the wilson , lynch tandem worked great.

MVP trophy and $3 will just about buy you a cup of coffee these days , Wilson doesn't care about MVP's

The only QB that cares about an MVP is douche Rodgers

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

by far the most I have ever seen bronco post at one time......and it's about Russell Wilson of all people

tell-tale sign of having Bailey's in your coffee

edited January 13, 2021 9:36AM

Lately, I've been hooked on Planter Peanuts. There's something about that little peanut guy wearing a monacle that lures you in.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 9:59AM

@perkdog said:

Except perhaps.......Aaron Donald and his friends?

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

early in his career Russell Wilson was being compared to the greatest QB's of NFL history, but he has faded rather quickly. my take away from his fall from grace --- this is a Team game and without the other proper pieces in place many players look real ordinary. early in Wilson's career, those pieces were there and he looked extra-ordinary.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

I don't agree . The offense has changed into something that doesn't work as well for wilson and it seems dumb to move away from the QB's strength then blame him if it doesn't work well.

There is a lot of "System" stupidity in the NFL lately and its turning into baseball.

We are seeing a lot of questionable coaching decisions that seem to be analytics based. Some friggin nerd calls in and says oh don't kick go for it on 4th theres a 1.5% higher chance of a positive outcome.

Was it the colts buffalo game this week? Before half time the colts try a 4th and 2 and fail. Easy kick but nope go for it , its a fail buffalo marches down gets the TD instead . That had nerd written all over it.

Nerds are in seattle screwing with wilson , remember HALO ? :D That was nerds and Pete got the blame . Beast mode for the TD don't need to look at your ipad on the sideline game over idiots

Why would wilson be opposed to more running? the wilson , lynch tandem worked great.

MVP trophy and $3 will just about buy you a cup of coffee these days , Wilson doesn't care about MVP's

@galaxy27 said:
    by far the most I have ever seen bronco post at one time......and it's about Russell Wilson of all people

@galaxy27 I was about to say that I love seeing bronco bring the fire like that. And as for the Bailey's, if i remember correctly from an old comment, @bronco2078 is a teetotaler like me.

In a discussion not that long ago, I said that Wilson is the QB I would take if it was for three or more seasons, as Brady I would still take for the next two (I think this conversation was last off-season). . I would have to do a deep dive into his play this year to determine if something has really changed, but in general i always really liked his game, leadership, and most importantly winning percentage.

I'm also addicted to Funyuns. I'd fight an old lady for the last bag of Funyuns!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

RW looked like he was moving in quicksand compared to Lamar last weekend, and that's what has made him so special over the duration of his career: his ability to extend plays and improvise by way of his elusiveness

against the Rams it looked like that elusiveness had dropped a couple of notches. he simply wasn't creating the magic we've become so accustomed to witnessing with him

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wilson’s success was directly tied to the run game and defense. Not saying he isn’t a top quarterback but look at his attempts during their heyday. Super Bowl victory without looking it up I bet he didn’t throw 22 times or there abouts.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@thisistheshow said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

@galaxy27 I was about to say that I love seeing bronco bring the fire like that. And as for the Bailey's, if i remember correctly from an old comment, @bronco2078 is a teetotaler like me.

on the wagon since 1988 :#

@doubledragon said:
    I'm also addicted to Funyuns. I'd fight an old lady for the last bag of Funyuns!

years ago when i was a wee little 'un my brother pinned me down because i took the last funyun and ripped the funion out of my hand and ground that funyun into my side until i bled. they are like shards of glass! the funyun shredded my flesh

@keets said:
    early in his career Russell Wilson was being compared to the greatest QB's of NFL history, but he has faded rather quickly. my take away from his fall from grace --- this is a Team game and without the other proper pieces in place many players look real ordinary. early in Wilson's career, those pieces were there and he looked extra-ordinary.

remember what happened , they had a great run and had to either pay or cut half the top players and that was the end

dimeman would cry about that effect of salary caps and free agency but overall its a good thing to keep some crap team with a rich garbage owner from hoarding all the top players

@2dueces said:
    Wilson’s success was directly tied to the run game and defense. Not saying he isn’t a top quarterback but look at his attempts during their heyday. Super Bowl victory without looking it up I bet he didn’t throw 22 times or there abouts.

Russell Wilson was 18-25, 206 YDS, 2 TDs in that Super Bowl beatdown of the Broncos, so you're spot on. The thing I remember most about that Super Bowl was the Seattle defense holding the Broncos to 8 measly and pathetic points. I believe the Broncos were the number 1 offense in the NFL that season.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

Me too, 1983

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would kill for a jar of Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts.

Unfortunately my GERD would kill me.

@hammer1 said:
    I would kill for a jar of Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts.

Unfortunately my GERD would kill me.

Acid reflux? I've definitely dealt with this.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@bronco2078 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

Me too, 1983

I assure you I've been picking up the slack for you guys during the pandemic

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

Wow and I thought @stevek was the only fella that did dissertation’s on CU Sports Talk. I’m impressed 🤷‍♂️

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

it seems i remember Wilson wilting in the second half a couple of years ago too.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    it seems i remember Wilson wilting in the second half a couple of years ago too.

he is kinda small , the smaller QB's can't soak up as much damage as the big goons

@JoeBanzai said:

@bronco2078 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

Me too, 1983

that was the year my old man died , 46 years of age drank and smoked himself to death , I was going to turn into him the way I was going.

I don't miss the drink or the tobacco , I guess I miss weed a bit and maybe the acid :D

I do feel like others have the advantage of using these substances to cope with everyday life , being sober all the time means you have to take everything head on , it can be a little much sometimes but i'd do it the same way again

@JoeBanzai and @bronco2078, congrats guys for staying sober. I know I joke around a lot on the forum, but I'm serious, congrats on staying sober. You guys are strong and brave to face it head on like that. Keep fighting the good fight guys.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

that was the year my old man died , 46 years of age drank and smoked himself to death , I was going to turn into him the way I was going.

My dad dies when he was 62, smoker and drinker as well.

I don't miss the drink or the tobacco , I guess I miss weed a bit and maybe the acid :D

Me too. I loved to trip and pot slowed the mind down a bit (then too much).

I do feel like others have the advantage of using these substances to cope with everyday life , being sober all the time means you have to take everything head on , it can be a little much sometimes but i'd do it the same way again

I'm sure if I hadn't killed myself, someone would have murdered me by now.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited January 13, 2021 11:45PM

To be clear, Russell Wilson is my favorite player in the NFL. The Rams are my favorite team. Wilson is a great quarterback who has had just one glaring problem for the last four years........he gets the crap beat out of him on a regular basis by the Rams. That's not supposed to happen because he's a superstar and the Rams are just...well...the Rams. To make matters worse the Rams quarterback is Jared Goff who is supposed to be mister so-so zip nothing. The Rams have throttled the Seahawks in 6 out of their last 8 games. One of the losses was determined on a chip shot field goal attempt that hit the upright with time running out. The Rams could easily be 7-1 against the Seahawks for the last four years. The football universe can't figure it out. The Rams? Goff? Heaven forbid! In head to head match ups Goff has beat Aaron Rogers AND Patrick Mahomes, AND everyone's current favorite flavor of the day, Baker Mayfield, AND the Sainted Drew Brees ...... hold on to your hat boys and girls.....TWICE! They haven't beat him. Not once. But Goff is only 1-1 against the Brady GOAT. Nobody's perfect.
    Unbelievable! Well......on Saturday the Lambs play the MIGHTY Packers led by SUPERDUPER Rogers! The Lambs don't stand a chance. I predict a Packer win. But if the Packers don't win it's not the end of the world and it won't mean that Rogers is washed up. It will just mean that the BEST team won.

@JoeBanzai said:

@bronco2078 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

Me too, 1983

I've been a non-drinker for about a decade now.

edited January 14, 2021 12:38PM

I stopped boozin' about 12 years ago. That lasted for about 10 years then I started nippin' Jimmy Beam 'cause of back pain. Jimmy beats morphine seven ways to Sunday. But.....I haven't touched a drop now for 6 months or so........ever since that Sidewinder Diamond Back reptile creature sunk his fangs into me. Hey, nothing can compete with that "high" so why try. But I don't recommend you try it. It's definitely not for kids.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

After Wilson's hot start this year, teams just started playing cover 2 the whole game, daring the Seahawks to just pass underneath. The offense never seemed to adjust and still tried to just hit WR screens or deep balls without anything in between. Very frustrating, moreso because after the Seahawks loss to the Rams, I watched the rookie AAF WFT QB throw 3-4 of those 10-15 yard outs in a row to march down the field.

Seahawks have always used run to dominate on the ground or to set up the pass, holding linebackers with play action, and they've seemingly gotten away from that philosophy lately. In letting Schottenheimer go, Carroll signalled he wants to return to that formula. Hopefully not just run, run, pass, (punt), but more of a balance next year, with intermediate route concepts playing a more significant role.

@Hydrant said:
    I stopped boozin' about 12 years ago. That lasted for about 10 years then I started nippin' Jimmy Beam 'cause of back pain. Jimmy beats morphine seven ways to Sunday. But.....I haven't touched a drop now for 6 months or so........ever since that Sidewinder Diamond Back reptile creature sunk his fangs into me. Hey, nothing can compete with that "high" so why try. But I don't recommend you try it. It's definitely not for kids.

You were bitten by a rattlesnake? You're lucky to be alive! I can't imagine what that must have been like. I was out in the woods back in 2000 on a camping trip, and my buddy killed a copperhead snake and brought it over to me and showed me it's fangs, and there was venom dripping from it's fangs. I couldn't imagine being bitten and having that venom running through me.

edited January 14, 2021 3:19AM

@mvs7 said:
    Carroll signalled he wants to return to ............not just run, run, pass, (punt), but more of a balance next year, with intermediate route concepts playing a more significant role.

Intermediate routes playing a significant roll? Sort of like, well more or less like, no...EXACTLY like the Rams offense? Never! That would be an offense designed for a QB with a weak arm and very limited agility. Like Goff. Pete has Wilson at QB who is quick footed and ...........BOMBS AWAY!

@Hydrant said:

@mvs7 said:
    Carroll signalled he wants to return to ............not just run, run, pass, (punt), but more of a balance next year, with intermediate route concepts playing a more significant role.

Intermediate routes playing a significant roll? Sort of like, well more or less like, no...EXACTLY like the Rams offense? Never! That would be an offense designed for a QB with a weak arm and very limited agility. Like Goff. Pete has Wilson at QB who is quick footed and ...........BOMBS AWAY!

well hire brucey the beatnik tampa will be firing him shortly

@bronco2078 said:

@Hydrant said:

@mvs7 said:

well hire brucey the beatnik tampa will be firing him shortly

Are you saying that the Seahawahs should hire Arians as OC? I do not foresee him being fired. I definitely think that he and Brady were not on the same page for a lot of the year, but if anything I was thinking they would get rid of Leftwich.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@Hydrant for some reason I thought you were Mormon. Which would make it tough because of it's forbidden status with that outfit.

I quit in '92.

I have a anecdotal theory, subject to exceptions. If you don't quit by 50, you ain't going to.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 5:59AM

Their offense is Wilson.