Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rick’s US Coins - call now!

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would the same arguments, pro and con, mentioned in this thread also apply (with equal vigor by the proponents of said arguments) to other types of TV sales, such as:

1. Jewelry (both regular and costume);

2. Clothing;

3. Household items;

4. Sports cards and memorabilia;

5. Personal care products; and/or

6. Knives.

I expect that many of the persons who watch such other TV sales programming and who purchase items from the comfort of their couch at 2 a.m. on a Sunday morning may not realize that the sale price of item they purchased is double or more than what an identical item can be purchased for through other venues. Should these types of TV sales programming be prohibited because purchasers of the offered items are not very aware or knowledgeable? To what extent should someone else (i.e. "the Man") be required to take action to save the unaware or unknowledgeable from the consequences of their uniformed decisions?

I expect that some of the purchasers are in fact aware and knowledgeable, such that they realize that they are paying double or more for an item that is available cheaper elsewhere. With such awareness and knowledge they choose to purchase from the comfort of their couch anyway. Should these types of TV sales programming be prohibited because someone else (i.e. "the Man") decides that a person should not be allowed to make his or her own decisions?

No right or wrong answer to the above, but plenty of different ways to view same.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

take a look at an infomercial for gold

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • My issue is that the pitch is: Folks these are rare, supply is limited and a great deal. The pitch is not as a luxury item but lends toward investment. Quotes from NGC or PCGS population reports, but only sites one pop report to say how rare they are and doesn’t disclose the total population including both services. I can only watch it for a few minutes. The idea that he is better than someone else selling on tv just doesn’t register with me.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 3:33PM

there will be 1899 $20 infomercial on 12 am eastern thursday early morning. basically not midnight tonight but in 2 nights.

it'll be on bloomberg tv

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

@Coinobsessed

"Quotes from NGC or PCGS population reports, but only sites one pop report to say how rare they are and doesn’t disclose the total population including both services"

that said, often times the coins for sale are raw and have nothing to do with graded populations. Makes it look like you are getting a graded coin BUT you are not.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 5:49PM

@airplanenut said:

@ambro51 said:
    He’s promoting coin collecting.

No better way to get someone involved in a hobby than to take their money early on and when they get educated, find out the first thing they got was screwed.

Oh Goodness......in Reality, every single member of this forum has overpaid badly and been mildly screwed by a dealer during the start of their Numismatic journey.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:

@airplanenut said:

@ambro51 said:
    He’s promoting coin collecting.

No better way to get someone involved in a hobby than to take their money early on and when they get educated, find out the first thing they got was screwed.

Oh Goodness......in Reality, every single member of this forum has overpaid badly and been mildly screwed by a dealer during the start of their Numismatic journey.

Is paying double what it’s really worth for a coin just ‘mild’ in your POV? Seems like ‘moderate’ at least IMHO. 😆

How about the ANA Dealer Code of Ethics which includes:

To refrain from making unjustified and/or false statements or misrepresentations in my relations with others, and to fully cooperate in the advancement of our hobby and business in my relations with collector and dealer alike.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister said:
    I met Rick by chance at a local restaurant years back. Really nice guy and is extremely knowledgeable. Really big in high grade Franklin's and proof coinage.

So he knows he is lying and ripping people off? Really nice guy.

Vplite99

Ripping off potential new collectors is no way to promote our hobby. My wife only lets me watch these shows for a few minutes, since I yell at the TV.

Vplite99
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭

If someone could pay $10k or more for a common bullion silver eagle graded 70 then I think this price isn't that bad :smile:

There’s NO graven in granite pricing with Anything these days. Show me examples of any item that costs Exactly the same when purchased from every single vendor.

• nagsnags Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

@Crypto said:
    his Buyers end up with legitimate if not slightly generic collectibles which are by their nature luxuries which by their nature have a spectrum of values that vary by venue.

That’s a lot of acrobatics to justify exorbitant overcharging. Surely anyone that buys this particular $5 coin will feel badly manipulated should he/she go to sell and learns the truth.

logic does not equal acrobatics and retail is over charging for a coin with a 5$ face value. I am not saying a seasoned collector can't go to a wholesale auction and get it cheaper, I am just saying you shouldn't expect wholesale on TV. I doubt he could offer them much cheaper and pay his producer and make it worth his time. You ever order a 10$ drink at a bar? I know where you can get it cheaper

The cost of selling has zero to do with fair market value. Buying the same coin in the same holder (or raw for many of this offerings) on ebay is not wholesale.

It baffled me that folks that order from these scammers don't do any research. Rick is clearly a knowledgeable guy. His claims as to the value of the coins being sold based on ebay listings is completely absurd and he 100% knows it. He knows the common date Morgan he's puffing is not worth 1000's of dollars.

I agree that value can be subjective, but for a very common coin with a very established price range, that range is pretty small.

For a drink or steak you are often times paying for the experience. That isn't so with a blender from QVC or a set of common date Morgans from this clown.

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 10:29AM

With the advent of the internet and smartphones, why do people still bother buying from TV programs? TV and Littleton are way overpriced and are starting new collectors on bad footing. Even the US Mint, with all of their website crashes & website bans, is a better place for an entry level collector to purchase coins.

The local grocery store is at the opposite end of the strip mall from Dollar General. The grocery store wants $3.99 for a fresh loaf of Meiers Italian bread. The Dollar General sells the exact same loaf of fresh Meiers Italian bread for $1.99.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the store hyping the $3.99 loaf as an ‘extremely rare, once in a lifetime opportunity’? Probably not.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

No. They’re simply ripping people off.

• Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    No. They’re simply ripping people off.

Sorry to derail this thread any further, but does the local grocery store have over 16 thousand locations? Do they have same buying quantities as dollar general? Probably not. Even within 1 city if dollar general has 20 locations and local store has say 5 they can’t compete on price.
    Having spent my career in manufacturing and materials management for 30 years I have a very good understanding on how pricing works.
    Not defending the TV guys, but the same principle applies to them.
    They have a cost and need a price to cover the cost and still make a profit.
    Unfortunately many folks who buy from TV don’t understand the market and get sucked in.
    They are selling a product, but the consumer has to do their own due diligence as well.
    Again not defending them, and will never buy from them but many people must in order for them to continue the practice of selling on TV.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

" I'm well aware I'm being hosed, yet I partake anyway.
    It's not clear to me that TV viewers understand they are suffering the same fate." @Dave99B

This.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting a lecture on ethics from some of the people in this thread makes me want to laugh. I'll leave it at that.

edited January 12, 2021 1:54PM

🤓

@CoinJunkie said:
    Getting a lecture on ethics from some of the people in this thread makes me want to laugh. I'll leave it at that.

What’s your opinion as to the $5 coin being sold?

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

@CoinJunkie said:

Pretty drecky to be honest and usually promoters image one of the nicer coins.

• Dwight_MDwight_M Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

As a two time guest on Ricks show, I am impressed with the quality of the show and the professional presentations they give.
    In my case , he offered a double pinch of gold and a book for 199$. After overhead they barely break even . They provide a 30 minute history show that is better than most anything on tv of you appreciate history at all. I’ve had family order from the show and have been thrilled to receive their treasure.
    They also sell 5 ounces of genuine California good dust for 19,995. This is a bit more than double melt. Whether it’s an investment or a collectible , or both , I feel the value is very fair. In fact I bet the costs to pull up those 5 ounces from 7000’ below the ocean was more than 10,000 alone !

@CoinJunkie said:

Random character impugning must give you a kick

@SeattleSlammer said:

@CoinJunkie said:

I don't admire people who hawk things on TV at inflated prices, but there are significant overheads associated with selling in that venue, and no one is forcing anyone to actually buy the coins. Caveat emptor. If what Rick T is doing is unethical, then capitalism itself is unethical, in my view. How much of a profit are you allowed to make before you're behaving unethically? Do we even know how much Rick T is making on those coins after expenses?

There are dealers who set up on the national coin show circuit who charge far more inflated prices than Rick T is asking for that $5 coin. Are they unethical for doing so?

@Swampboy said:

@CoinJunkie said:

Whose character did I impugn? Please be specific.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half eagles in 63 are close to a commodity and should be priced as such without the hyperbole IMO.

Mass marketers have a responsibility to the customer and the marketplace, they are representing the hobby and they project an image.

@CoinJunkie said:

@Swampboy said:

@CoinJunkie said:

Whose character did I impugn? Please be specific.

I won't play

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pass, too. Always have and always will.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the hoard of Walking Liberty halves are only around $15 each. The 1932 $10 Indians have been on there for what seems like at least 2 months.

It takes 20 minutes of hipe to get to the price. If you went to a coin show and asked the dealer a price of something and it took him that long to tell you you wouldn't be there when he finally got around to it.

• GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭

Check this out. Mike Sleazak sells a BU roll of 40% Kennedys for $250 and never mentions that they are 40%. Last of the Silver Kennedys he calls them. The Coin Vault sells the same BU roll for $120. $100 per roll if you buy 5. Both high but Mike is out of his mind.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 10:19AM

@nags said:

@Crypto said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

@Crypto said:
    his Buyers end up with legitimate if not slightly generic collectibles which are by their nature luxuries which by their nature have a spectrum of values that vary by venue.

That’s a lot of acrobatics to justify exorbitant overcharging. Surely anyone that buys this particular $5 coin will feel badly manipulated should he/she go to sell and learns the truth.

logic does not equal acrobatics and retail is over charging for a coin with a 5$ face value. I am not saying a seasoned collector can't go to a wholesale auction and get it cheaper, I am just saying you shouldn't expect wholesale on TV. I doubt he could offer them much cheaper and pay his producer and make it worth his time. You ever order a 10$ drink at a bar? I know where you can get it cheaper

The cost of selling has zero to do with fair market value. Buying the same coin in the same holder (or raw for many of this offerings) on ebay is not wholesale.

It baffled me that folks that order from these scammers don't do any research. Rick is clearly a knowledgeable guy. His claims as to the value of the coins being sold based on ebay listings is completely absurd and he 100% knows it. He knows the common date Morgan he's puffing is not worth 1000's of dollars.

I agree that value can be subjective, but for a very common coin with a very established price range, that range is pretty small.

For a drink or steak you are often times paying for the experience. That isn't so with a blender from QVC or a set of common date Morgans from this clown.

snicker...... Fair market value.....snicker.... what is that? And paying for the experiences? how much can you resell that for if maintaining value is the measure of fair apparently.

Jokes aside i see the point made by other about hucking investments that aren't worth what you pay for but most coins aren't worth what the buyer pays for them and at the end of the day all hobbies are luxuries. Coins hold their value better than most but they are simply not investments. At best they are assets and 98% of the people who treat them as investments will be disappointed at the end regardless of where they bought their coins.

• nagsnags Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@nags said:

@Crypto said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

@Crypto said:

snicker...... Fair market value.....snicker.... what is that? And paying for the experiences? how much can you resell that for if maintaining value is the measure of fair apparently.

Jokes aside i see the point made by other about hucking investments that aren't worth what you pay for but most coins aren't worth what the buyer pays for them and at the end of the day all hobbies are luxuries. Coins hold their value better than most but they are simply not investments. At best they are assets and 98% of the people who treat them as investments will be disappointed at the end regardless of where they bought their coins.

I watched him hype a group of ungraded Morgan dollars. He was proclaiming that a few of the dollars are worth in excess of $1000. If you walked into 100 coin shops and asked what that coin is worth there is nobody that would value them at more than $50. He's not selling unique items where the value is debatable.

When someone is telling an uninformed individual that a collectible is worth $1000+ to induce a sale, when the seller 100% knows that the item is worth $50 at the absolute most, I have a problem with that.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he set up at a coin show with his coins and his pricing he would be laughed from the building. He isn't good for the hobby in any way. His actions will turn off prospective numismatists after they realize they have been lied to (great opportunity, very rare, etc.)and overcharged. Just stating my opinion.

• Klif50Klif50 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭

If you offered him 500 of the graded gold coins, what do you think he would offer to buy them? I believe he doesn't buy in quantities of less than 500 to be able to sell them on his show.

Would a major dealer buy 500 at a time and what would they offer? A reduced price due to the quantity?

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 7:29AM

Well good for him in moving them. But the cost of tv ads.....my markup equation already overloaded lol.

It takes being a good biz man make in RCI nowadays.

Don’t feel sorry for the tv buyers LMAO - they getting what they want and at least not spending it on Booz, strip clubbing (sugar dating), or entertainment where that money gone forever. He has the experience and eye for PQ material which can bring 50-100 pct prem or more. No free ride on PQ lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just now. I don't even know what to say... $400 in the PCGS guide.
    I mean...there is a tiny sticker on the outside of the slab that says "Everest Collection"!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 5:26AM

@Cougar1978 said:
    Well good for him in moving them. But the cost of tv ads.....my markup equation already overloaded lol.

It takes being a good biz man make in RCI nowadays.

Don’t feel sorry for the tv buyers LMAO - they getting what they want and at least not spending it on Booz, strip clubbing (sugar dating), or entertainment where that money gone forever. He has the experience and eye for PQ material which can bring 50-100 pct prem or more. No free ride on PQ lol.

There’s been absolutely nothing to indicate that the MS63 $5 Libs being offered, are PQ.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins I like simply don’t exist in quantities that could be sold in that way.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Smudge said:
    The coins I like simply don’t exist in quantities that could be sold in that way.

you can market a 1804 dollar for 100 years of $328 daily payments

But you cannot offer hundreds of them.

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to purchase some of his shirts. Rare relics of another era!

I can guess where he gets the coins but hwere the heck does he find those shirts?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 9:07AM

@Kurisu said:
    I mean...there is a tiny sticker on the outside of the slab that says "Everest Collection"!

That coin does have an Everest sticker. The Guide says $850 for MS66+ FBL and $13,000 for MS67 FBL. Perhaps an Everest sticker is like "MS66++" or "MS66+++"?

What do Everest stickered coins sell for on the secondary market? Secondary market meaning not sold by Rick as he does the stickering.

Rick works with clients with budgets up to $100,000 a month. That's a pretty nice budget to build a great coin collection.

https://www.randicoins.com/store/pc/WhyR-I-d95.htm

Founder, Rick Tomaska purchases rare coins as a collector first and foremost. Profitable coins are naturally occuring due to collector demand. Rick purchases coins that he enjoys owning, that he knows you will love owning and that will give you countless hours of viewing pleasure!

Whether your budget is $100,000 a month or $100, R&I Coins is a collector oriented company whose primary interest and goal is to supply you with the most eye-appealing coin rarities whose desirability will only grow with the passage of time.

While million dollar coins may grab headlines in the coin publications, the greatest numismatic opportunities lie in the priceranges more affordable to 99.99% of the collecting public. I specialize in locating those "needles in a hay stack” – the "beach front” property that is currently still priced for little more than a few Arizona sand dunes!

Many dealers like to "talk the talk”. R & I clients get to "walk the walk”. Checking through the PCGS and NGC Registries you will find many of the finest proof collections proof Morgan dollars, mint state and proof Franklin halves, Barber halves, Seated halves, proof Washington quarters, Roosevelt dimes, Jefferson nickels, and Lincoln cents that were assembled by our clients through our company.

We would like the opportunity to do the same for you!

Warmest Regards,

Rick Tomaska

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 9:30AM

@Zoins said:

@Kurisu said:

That coin does have an Everest sticker. The Guide says $850 for MS66+ FBL and $13,000 for MS67 FBL. Perhaps an Everest sticker is like "MS66++" or "MS66+++"?

What do Everest stickered coins sell for on the secondary market? Secondary market meaning not sold by Rick as he does the stickering.

Clearly I need to get my own stickers before I start selling a bunch of my slabs later this year!
    Also, apparently...you won't know if you're getting an NGC or a PCGS slab for your $5k! ...Or maybe it's one of those rare dual slabs soooo that would be in the book at around $1000 or so??? ...My math must be wrong.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

... and the $5,500 price doesn’t include Shipping and Handling.

Rick, Rick, Rick.....I honestly wouldn’t be able to sleep at night.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Ripping off people new to collecting is bad for the hobby, no question. And he knows better.

Vplite99
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭

New England Coin used to publish very fascinating articles/adds about FBL Franklins in Coin World which I often read in a local public library during my Summer break. :smile:

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 10:20AM

@Rarity said:
    New England Coin used to publish very fascinating articles/adds about FBL Franklins in Coin World which I often read in a local public library during my Summer break. :smile:

I'd love to read about FBL Franklins some time.

Rick's profile indicates he wrote the book that led to the FBL standard:

RICK TOMASKA

After graduating from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1973, I made it my goal to carve my name eternally into the numismatic community. My first milestone in accomplishing this goal was the establishment of my flagship business called R & I Coins, which began operating in 1981.

Ten years later, in 1991, I published the book which gave me my reputation as the “Cameo King.” This book, called Cameo and Brilliant Proof Coinage of the 1950 to 1970 Era, eventually led to the creation of the Cameo, Deep Cameo, and Ultra Cameo designations awarded by NGC and PCGS. Six years after that, I published my second book, The Complete Guide to Franklin Half Dollars, which birthed the Full Bell Line standard for Franklin Half Dollars.

In 2014, I became a founding member of Rare Collectibles TV where I created Rick’s U.S. Coin Show. My goal this time was to provide both beginner and expert numismatists with beautiful, high quality coins as well as valuable knowledge, statistics, and history regarding their prized collections. Now with 38 years of experience, I finally feel comfortable saying that I’ve made my mark on the numismatic community.

https://www.rarecollectiblestv.com/about/hosts

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Rarity said:

I'd love to read about FBL Franklins some time.

Rick's profile indicates he wrote the book that led to the FBL standard:

RICK TOMASKA

After graduating from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1973, I made it my goal to carve my name eternally into the numismatic community. My first milestone in accomplishing this goal was the establishment of my flagship business called R & I Coins, which began operating in 1981.

Ten years later, in 1991, I published the book which gave me my reputation as the “Cameo King.” This book, called Cameo and Brilliant Proof Coinage of the 1950 to 1970 Era, eventually led to the creation of the Cameo, Deep Cameo, and Ultra Cameo designations awarded by NGC and PCGS. Six years after that, I published my second book, The Complete Guide to Franklin Half Dollars, which birthed the Full Bell Line standard for Franklin Half Dollars.

In 2014, I became a founding member of Rare Collectibles TV where I created Rick’s U.S. Coin Show. My goal this time was to provide both beginner and expert numismatists with beautiful, high quality coins as well as valuable knowledge, statistics, and history regarding their prized collections. Now with 38 years of experience, I finally feel comfortable saying that I’ve made my mark on the numismatic community.

https://www.rarecollectiblestv.com/about/ho

He has made a mark to be sure. A dark spot on the credibility of coin dealers. Particularly to beginners to our hobby.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    ... and the $5,500 price doesn’t include Shipping and Handling.

Rick, Rick, Rick.....I honestly wouldn’t be able to sleep at night.

Hmmm...... something tells me he would not have any problems sleeping.......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file