Home U.S. Coin Forum

Were Peace Dollars ever stored in Mint canvas bags to get textile toning?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 8, 2021 7:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

There are a lot of Morgan Dollars with textile toning from Mint canvas bags, and even some modern Silver Eagle Dollars now not from Mint canvas bags.

In between, there are some Peace Dollars with textile toning. Were Peace Dollars ever stored in Mint canvas bags to achieve this kind of toning?

1925 Peace Dollar - PCGS MS63

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/39156129

Comments

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

After nearly 100 years, I guess anything could have been stored in these types of bags. I never thought they left the mint like that, entering bank vaults for years and years like Morgans, but the above post gives me pause.🤔

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

What else would they be stored in? I think the issue is they weren't stored as long as Morgans.
    I have one that shows what appears to be textile toning.
    @HasBeen that bag is way cool!

Collector, occasional seller

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the real question is at what point did they start rolling silver dollars instead of sending them out in $1,000 bags?
    The bag posted does not appear to be from the treasury and instead looks (from the wording "standard silver dollars") to be private issue.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad @RogerB isnt here to help us.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins weren't / aren't rolled by the mint. This is done after they leave and go to processors like Brinks.

thefinn
  • HasBeenHasBeen Posts: 42 ✭✭

DCW

I have had bags from almost every mint and virtually all denominations.

I assure you that is a government issues US Mint bag.

DCW

For what it’s worth I have never seen any “classic” coins that were “rolled” at the mint. They’re usually rolled at the Federal Reserve Bank(s), or more likely at a commercial bank.

Which poses the question: How did they get from the US Mint to the Federal Reserve Banks?

Answer: bags

The coolest Peace dollar, or Standard Silver, bag I’ve ever owned was from San Francisco, dated 1934.

Unfortunately I didn’t think to get a picture of it before I passed stewardship to a fellow collector.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love them old bags :s (im gonna pay for this)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file