Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World sub in the works and my guesses for the grades. (GRADES POSTED!)

ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 18, 2021 3:03PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

So a bit frightening to post here before grades are in since I could be really off or end up with details coins or the worst being fakes. However I wanted to share here so I could compare with my guesses later is a blatantly honest way.

So I didn't do a great job getting photos of these before I sent them in for being subbed but most can be found here hosted on imgur I urge you to check them out as well and let me know what you think:

https://imgur.com/a/y5Li5YM

As far as my guesses I marked up a screen shot of the sub here while things are processing:

Even since I have subbed these I have thought a few guesses were too high. The two 1787 6 pences and the 1863/2 8 Sol but I will keep them as I initially thought rather than obsessing over them.

There are others coins on this sub, not just my own so I won't post the order number or anything but here's a screenshot to show where it is now. I will of course update with another one once grades are posted.

Feel free to let me know what you think and I will check back in once grades are posted. I suspect sometime in late February.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

coin photography is challenging... You have some attractive submission candidates- I did not see the Irish shillings. The 1893 and 1902 shillings look attractive so there is reason to be optimistic. The 1787 6d coins look as if an MS grade is reasonable- not sure of where they end up. I would like to see the South African shilling in hand- that grade will largely depend on the quality of the fields/surfaces

Best wishes with the grade results...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    coin photography is challenging... You have some attractive submission candidates- I did not see the Irish shillings. The 1893 and 1902 shillings look attractive so there is reason to be optimistic. The 1787 6d coins look as if an MS grade is reasonable- not sure of where they end up. I would like to see the South African shilling in hand- that grade will largely depend on the quality of the fields/surfaces

Best wishes with the grade results...

The irish shillings are not imaged. I really just didn't even photograph them because those clad ones are worth so little. Grading fees are mostly wasted on them but I need them for the set. Thanks for the feedback.

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice sub. Digging those 6d's. Did you remove the black stuff on the Bolivian prior to submitting?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Nice sub. Digging those 6d's. Did you remove the black stuff on the Bolivian prior to submitting?

As someone who rarely sees these coins in hand, I did not. :(

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

So grades have posted! I clipped out the coins on the sub that weren't mine. Will post the images in just a moment.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great results. It's hard to pick a favorite.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coins and grades
    It would appear the grades assigned exceeded your expectations except for the Details grades & the 1902 (perhaps due to the verdigris on the head and spotting?)
    I think you did well, and the coins have great appeal. Even the 'cleaned' 1787.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you done good!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @Clio ! Great looking bunch and some top pops to boot!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall... excellent results... I sort of wonder about the 6d no hearts. What does that look like in hand? I ask mainly because there could be some light hairlines the graders attributed to prior cleaning or just the look of the surfaces leading to the color that they make believe was the result of a cleaning. As for the SA shilling, I was curious about the nature of the look earlier. I suspect they may have decided on environmental damage because they see lustre impairment as an issue. Just trying to offer explanations...not saying I agree as they have seen the coins in hand and obviously I have not.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Overall... excellent results... I sort of wonder about the 6d no hearts. What does that look like in hand? I ask mainly because there could be some light hairlines the graders attributed to prior cleaning or just the look of the surfaces leading to the color that they make believe was the result of a cleaning. As for the SA shilling, I was curious about the nature of the look earlier. I suspect they may have decided on environmental damage because they see lustre impairment as an issue. Just trying to offer explanations...not saying I agree as they have seen the coins in hand and obviously I have not.

I think I agree with your assessments. the 6d no hearts was pretty dark an a bit more dull than his brother. I think the toning likely hid the cleaning from me. I can't remember terribly well how I thought it looked in hand but will try and review when it returns where the problems are.