Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Special edge on 1938 British West Africa two shilling?

Does anybody know what the special scarcer edge supposed to look like?

beaded or something to that effect. I had one come in today, and it looks similar to one a guy had posted on ebay, but i want to make 100 % sure what i am looking for

thanks

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure - is it a security edge like on some of the Mauritius issues (kind of a railroad track appearance)?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 7:12AM

May be this topic helps: https://en.numista.com/forum/topic7462.html

The 1938-KN West Africa 2 shillings has 2 edge types. The VERY common 'security edge', which has a double-reeded edge, with forward slashes (or back slashes?) and dots between them. The other type is Very, very rare and looks just like a US dime's or US quarter's edge and is known as 'reeded' or 'grained.'

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks

Mine is the normal, I knew I wouldnt be lucky enough to find it in group of junk.
    Somebody on ebay is trying to sell the security edge as the rare edge type, that's what Had confused me.

• Options

I need someone with knowledge. Okay, new to coins. Inherited a few. I can’t for the life of me find the approximate value of this coin.
    1938 British West Africa two shillings kn. I did find out that it has an interrupted reeded outer edge, in 2 areas. I’m trying to find a way to post a pic, unlucky so far. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had this one since the 1960's:

British West Africa 2 Shillings 1938
    Nickel-Brass, 28.5 mm, 11.28 gm
    Heaton Mint, Security Edge

British West Africa 2 Shillings 1938 edge

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television