Home Q & A Forum

1876 S and 1877 S trade dollars, genuine?

Hello coincommunity,
Can you help me with these 2 trade dollars. The 1876 S is 100% fake, I think, because the weight is 23,44 gram. But are there any details next to weight that stand out and you can say that it is fake? I mean visually.

For the 1877 S, I am not sure if it is fake or not, the weight is 27,18 gram so it seems ok to me. Are there any details that can say that it is fake? Visually of course.

Both coins are not magnetic and the size seems also ok.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

The 1876 S is a fake.

The 1877 S appears to be genuine.

• @ifthevamzarockin said:

The 1876 S is a fake.

But are there any details visible to conclude that it is fake? I am a beginner so I want to train my eyes to recognise fake ones :-)

The 1876 S is a fake.

Thanks for your reaction ;-)

The pitting on the obverse & reverse of the 76s would indicate a cast counterfeit. ;)
    The details & strike are off too but that takes more time to learn.

There are other older, higher quality counterfeits with Trade dollars that are harder to detect.
    Not wise for a new collector to buy raw coins, stick with graded ones.
    There are also counterfeit coins in counterfeit graded slabs. :/

There are other older, higher quality counterfeits with Trade dollars that are harder to detect.
    Not wise for a new collector to buy raw coins, stick with graded ones.
    There are also counterfeit coins in counterfeit graded slabs. :/

I bought this 2 dollars from a reputable seller but I think he overlooked this one. I will give it back to him. If I find for a reasonable price a graded one, I will buy but for the moment I couldn’t find 😉

"a reputable seller but I think he overlooked this one"

Maybe...... but I would use caution buying from them again.

Maybe...... but I would use caution buying from them again.

You are right. Normally if he has fake pieces it is written on the coin holder that it is not a genuine one so I don’t know with this one🤷🏻‍♂️

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest that your interest include learning about US trade dollars in general and the work that has already been done on counterfeits. Knowledge is confidence when spending your money. You can do better but it takes effort. Have fun growing with your collection. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52