Home Sports Talk

New Years Day

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

They really need to move most of the games back to New Years Day. They need to figure it out. Today is awesome. The Cincy- Georgia game was great!

Congrats Buster!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just watched that Cincinatti vs Georgia game. I couldn't believe Cincy lost that game. That was a good ol' fashioned slugfest. College football at it's best!

Up next, Bama vs Dame. I'm not doing anything today except watching college football. This is life on the wild side!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the good old days when all the major bowl games were on New Years Day

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I remember the good old days when all the major bowl games were on New Years Day

and it was simplicity at its finest without any long-winded corporate nonsense

remember the fruit days? peach bowl.......apple bowl.......tangerine bowl......cherry bowl

now it's the professional sports authenticator pre-1970 quarterly special @ $9/per for cards with a max declared value of $500 sure hope you're alive when they finally pop bowl

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

Yes, the names of the bowl games are ridiculous. What name will they come up with next, the Charmin Ultra Soft Bowl?

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ummm college sports (except womens volleyball of course )are worthless.
    How about real sports today instead ?

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I just watched that Cincinatti vs Georgia game. I couldn't believe Cincy lost that game.

Well, they didn't so much lose the game as hand it on a silver platter to Georgia. Twice on their last drive they snapped the ball with 10 seconds or so remaining on the play clock, and then to top it off on third down they threw an incomplete pass. Georgia gets the ball back with 1:30 or so on the clock instead of 30 seconds or so and it cost Cincinnati the game.

Is this a macho thing among football coaches? All Cincinnati had to do once Georgia was out of timeouts was snap the ball when the play clock reached :01 and take a knee. If they do that, they win the game, guaranteed. What is it that possesses coaches to not use every possible second and to risk incomplete passes?

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cincy HC absolutely had no interest in winning that game.

@dallasactuary said:

@doubledragon said:
    I just watched that Cincinatti vs Georgia game. I couldn't believe Cincy lost that game.

Well, they didn't so much lose the game as hand it on a silver platter to Georgia. Twice on their last drive they snapped the ball with 10 seconds or so remaining on the play clock, and then to top it off on third down they threw an incomplete pass. Georgia gets the ball back with 1:30 or so on the clock instead of 30 seconds or so and it cost Cincinnati the game.

Is this a macho thing among football coaches? All Cincinnati had to do once Georgia was out of timeouts was snap the ball when the play clock reached :01 and take a knee. If they do that, they win the game, guaranteed. What is it that possesses coaches to not use every possible second and to risk incomplete passes?

@dallasactuary said:

@doubledragon said:

That was insane. It cost them the game. A reporter asked Luke Fickell that question and he got upset and said "Because we're going to play to win". If he was playing to win, then he should have drained the clock.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 4:19AM

amazing in this heightened age of analytics that there are still cash-rich coaches pacing the sidelines who would be challenged in a remedial math class

and then when confronted after the game with a modicum of common sense he doubles down :D

Fickell best be glad i'm not the Cincy AD............."you ain't got to go home, but you gotta get the hell up outta here"

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 8:17AM

I was sweating the UGA/Cincy game, we definitely got a clock gift in the 4th for sure. The 2nd half defense contributed to the W but we should have lost that game a couple times.

sure sure , ignore the truth of my message :|

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was Expecting a U2 thread.

@Goldenage said:
    Was Expecting a U2 thread.

They had a window of about 2 years then people started asking boner his opinions about stuff and it ended , the pompous twit :D

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion of Boner err Bono.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

So we are told this is the Goldenage
    And gold is the reason for the wars we wage.
    I want to be with you night and day.
    Nothing changes on New Year’s Day.

@2dueces said:
    My opinion of Boner err Bono.

>

is that a true quote ? Bob has been dead since 1988 :( if he felt that way 40 years ago his head would explode in 2020

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I remember as well. I got to lose all my bets in one day rather than stretching out the aggravation. :(

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 I’ve used that quote for quite a few years and never researched the source. That house was 50 years ahead of its time as tiny houses are all the rage today.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.