Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How has Selling Numismatic Items on Etsy worked out for you?

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2020 1:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My sales on eBay absolutely horrible Nov and Dec 2020. Covid or what I don’t know.

Considering Etsy. What say ye.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    My retail sales on eBay absolutely horrible Nov and Dec 2020. Covid or what I don’t know.

Considering Etsy. What say ye.

I haven't tried Etsy in a couple years. It's not exactly a coin venue in my experience. But, what do you have to lose?

eBay has been fairly slow for me also. Although, to be fair, I haven't really been adding any new material as I was busy with other things.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 1:58PM

I would go with Instagram.

I have made sales and bought coins thru that venue.

My eBay sales have been extremely strong this month and especially this week.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, thought Etsy was for handmade goods — is that no longer true?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 2:10PM

There are 2500 Pcgs coins in Etsy and about 3000. Ngc when I checked about an hour ago. So thinking not as much competition too.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t speak for all eBay buyers, but if they are anything like me....don’t want to deal with the poor shipping times. Lately if I can’t buy what I want locally, I go without.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried it for about 6 months. Not a peep! offer or anything and that was paying for extra advertising also!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never tried it. Probably wont though.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been more satisfied with Ebay lately over the holidays than earlier. Sold some items pretty quickly with plenty of watchers which have been lacking earlier this year. Sorry, but never used Etsy to sell. Searching coins(unless I just don't know their methods) is rather difficult. I tried putting in a specific date into search and got a plethora of specific coin and mixed dates. I tried specifying PCGS and got the same nonspecific selection. I tried to search certified coins and again got the mix. If there is a better way to search for specifics I would appreciate knowing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Do your own research as I'm not sure of all the details, but once you reach a certain sales level on Etsy they force you to pay extra for online advertising. It makes the fees relatively high.

• Options

@Davideo said:
    Do your own research as I'm not sure of all the details, but once you reach a certain sales level on Etsy they force you to pay extra for online advertising. It makes the fees relatively high.

Doesn't say anything about that here:

https://www.etsy.com/legal/fees/

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I haven't tried Etsy in a couple years. It's not exactly a coin venue in my experience. But, what do you have to lose?

The time you spend getting set up to sell and preparing listings if it turns out your stuff doesn't sell there?

There doesn't appear to be a "sold items" search on the site, making it difficult at best to figure out what sort of items sell there, and for how much.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The time you spend getting set up to sell and preparing listings if it turns out your stuff doesn't sell there?

There doesn't appear to be a "sold items" search on the site, making it difficult at best to figure out what sort of items sell there, and for how much.

Yes, that always annoyed me about them. Their search function was quite minimal.

A little time now could be dollars later...or not. Besides, it wasn't my time. LOL.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    A little time now could be dollars later...or not.

Based on my limited exploration there, the "Coins" section appeared to be mostly novelty items and overpriced "stuff". I've got no problem with selling my stuff for overpriced prices, but if I can't see that people are actually buying it, I'm not sure I want to invest the time necessary to make the attempt.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay charging me sales tax when I live in a state without sales tax on coins, currency and precious metals has curtailed my buying. Only thing I will look at is an auction, and those are rare on ebay now.

thefinn
  • Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    A little time now could be dollars later...or not.

Based on my limited exploration there, the "Coins" section appeared to be mostly novelty items and overpriced "stuff". I've got no problem with selling my stuff for overpriced prices, but if I can't see that people are actually buying it, I'm not sure I want to invest the time necessary to make the attempt.

Actually, I decided Etsy wasn't worth my time several years ago. But I haven't tried lately.

• Options
    JGDcoinsJGDcoins Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I highly recommend instagram. There is a gigantic coin community floating around there and if you find a group of people in your niche area, even better. Nowadays, majority of my items come from IG. Is suggest joining and giving it a shot for yourself. Plenty of awesome people. Here is my page,my registry wouldn't even have half of the coins I do today, if not for IG

• Options
    acsbacsb Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Sold two (non-coin) items there. On one I received slightly less than 75% of the selling price, the other almost 80%. So make of that what you will.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Davideo said:

Yes, it does: offsite ads fees. According to my quick reading, once you hit 10K you are forced into the offside ads program where Etsy will run ads elsewhere (search, video, etc.). If someone clicks an ad for your item and then purchases within 30 days, you pay an extra 12% or 15%. I don't know if there will be many coin sales driven by online ads. So perhaps not very applicable for coins. But I do know that can be tough for other sellers who have no control over the ads which makes managing a particular margin difficult.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's Etsy? (says the Old Codger).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    edited January 5, 2021 6:31PM

@Davideo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Davideo said:

Yes, it does: offsite ads fees. According to my quick reading, once you hit 10K you are forced into the offside ads program where Etsy will run ads elsewhere (search, video, etc.). If someone clicks an ad for your item and then purchases within 30 days, you pay an extra 12% or 15%. I don't know if there will be many coin sales driven by online ads. So perhaps not very applicable for coins. But I do know that can be tough for other sellers who have no control over the ads which makes managing a particular margin difficult.

It doesn't say you have to pay extra for online advertising on each item which is how I read your statement.

It says you can opt out of the offsite adds but the opt out ends at 10k. At that point, if they run an ad using one of your items and someone buys it, you are charged a fee. I would think that is a relatively rare occurrence given the number of listings on the site.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file