Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Cert Verification - date of certification

chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish PCGS would put the date (month & year) of when a coin was certified when you look up the Cert number, at least, for any of the old (pre edge view holders). I don’t know, it would be interesting to see.

Comments

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's something many of us would like to see but I don't think the TPGs want to share the info (for a variety of reasons). The one time that I have noticed a date listed is with NGC copper coins. Those are only guaranteed for 10 years, so NGC lists the date slabbed and the date the guarantee expires right on the cert verification page.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know they have the slab museum so you can figure out a date range but that isn’t the same. That’s why I thought maybe they can at least do it for the older holdered coins.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:
    I know they have the slab museum so you can figure out a date range but that isn’t the same. That’s why I thought maybe they can at least do it for the older holdered coins.

It would be nice and provide for a lot of interesting information. There might be something in that information though that the grading companies wouldn’t want us to know.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slab museum is rather new. Maybe just four years old. Prior to that PCGS resisted citing any information that might reflect grading dates.

A lot of us thought it might be because many collectors felt there were grading trends...periods where grading was perceived as loose or tight, and that it might affect values or reflect badly on the service.

This is why cert#'s are mostly random (though a single submission will have sequential numbers).
    Lance.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 6:08AM

@chesterb said:
    I know they have the slab museum [...]

@lkeigwin said:
    The slab museum is rather new. [...]

Link: https://www.pcgs.com/holders

I cannot get the 'PCGS Museum of Coin Holders' to fully load. Just GEN1.0 - 3.0, and the 'spinning wait cursor'.
    Another forum member recently reported the same issue.

@thefinn said (in another thread):
    I have tried to go to the history of holders site, and just get the spinning.

Not sure whether the problem is systemic, or an issue on my end. Can either of you get this page to fully load?

TIA

Edit - typo.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is working for me at this hour.
    Lance.

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

Thanks for checking, and responding. I appreciate it.

Happy New Year !!!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@chesterb said:
    I know they have the slab museum [...]

@lkeigwin said:
    The slab museum is rather new. [...]

Link: https://www.pcgs.com/holders

I cannot get the 'PCGS Museum of Coin Holders' to fully load. Just GEN1.0 - 3.0, and the 'spinning wait cursor'.
    Another forum member recently reported the same issue.

@thefinn said (in another thread):
    I have tried to go to the history of holders site, and just get the spinning.

Not sure whether the problem is systemic, or an issue on my end. Can either of you get this page to fully load?

TIA

Edit - typo.

Same issues here, for a couple weeks

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it easier to determine Crosby, Noe and Salmon Numbers for pine tree shillings than to figure out what generation holder they are in

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 9:56AM

I believe numbers have been fairly sequential recently. It seems like I've seen coins with leading digits of 38 precede those with 39, which precedes those with 40 That seems to be generally the case going back to the early-mid 2000s. This is coming from someone who submits and looks at world coins. I believe we could crowd source general certification date ranges for a lot of coins.

For example, my submission that was graded and submitted in February is 3927XXXX. My submission in May was 3903XXXX. Mine in July was 3984XXX and 3960XXXX. My October 2019 was 3837XXXX. Starting sometime mid year I started seeing more 40XXXXXX certification numbers. While not exact, there seems to be a pretty consistent trend of increasing numbers. I suspect it might be possible to pinpoint coins to a month or quarter they were graded it, if not an exact date.

If I order my registry inventory by certification number, there are some clear trends. The coins with secure plus photos have cert numbers that lead with 17XXXXXX to 32XXXXXX. The ones with lower numbers were generally bought (by me) before the ones with higher numbers. I think there is a general chronological order to it. All of my coins with 7 digit cert numbers are always in OGH or blue labels with the barcode on the back (gen 3.1 and 4.0). I haven't seen any or owned German coins prior to gen 3.1 yet.

If folks are willing to post cert #s with known certification dates, I'm willing to start building a spreadsheet. Known date usually means you bought it certified or you bought it freshly certified from the person who did.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

Ditto.

thefinn

@thefinn said:
    Ditto.

I am glad that it is working for you now.

Happy New Year !!!

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:
    I wish PCGS would put the date (month & year) of when a coin was certified when you look up the Cert number, at least, for any of the old (pre edge view holders). I don’t know, it would be interesting to see.

It would also be nice if they included the submitter number or an anonymous alphanumeric sequence unique to each submitter too. You'd learn a lot of things. It might even be easier to figure out who the AT artists are among other things.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as the PCGS slab museum goes.... if you’re using an ad blocker or a pi hole to do DNS blocking, the odds are that you’re blocking one of the essential scripts for running the site. If you disable the ad blocking on the site it should run normally.

@TurtleCat said:
    As far as the PCGS slab museum goes.... if you’re using an ad blocker or a pi hole to do DNS blocking, the odds are that you’re blocking one of the essential scripts for running the site. If you disable the ad blocking on the site it should run normally.

I will check that out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file