Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where to sell cards in the future?

NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2020 3:12PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hello everyone,
I have some “high end” cards I want to sell next year “2021”. Mostly Mahomes/Bryant rookie cards. I am hearing a lot of current problems with eBay. Some people are talking about myslabs.
Does anybody have anywhere else they sell?
I wonder if there will be better places to sell in the future.
:/. Mmmmmm

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

NAXCOM. jk

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I recommend PWCC

• Options

I would go with myslabs. They only charge 1 percent sellers fee. How can you go wrong?

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I just checked out myslabs.com.............I like the 1% fee idea, but it looks like nothing but junk and overpriced modern stuff to me

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I guess the question is this, are you hoping to auction things off or set a firm asking price and see what happens? Ebay gets you the exposure needed, especially when taking a chance with an low opening bid auction. It seems when you are selling something in demand or of quality, the bidding usually catches up by auction end. it is the other stuff that maybe is not so in demand or obscure that might get overlooked.

I don't do a lot of selling and really don't monitor the market beyond what is of interest to me, so these are just casual observations. Frankly, I can't stand the selling side of the hobby much at all. I never intended to sell my stuff, hoping to pass it down, but after 40 years of accumulating and no interest from my boys yet (they are 16 & 18, so there is still a slim chance something changes), it seems more likely that I will need to do that dance someday and i am not looking forward to it.

Using card related sites like this, you could post items and ask a flat fee. Some may try to negotiate, and it seems people are always looking for bargains on fixed price items. if it isn't close to what they see similar items selling for on ebay, then your item sits.

I can't vouch for the results, but it seems people on facebook are willing to pay way more than necessary for things in certain groups I have checked out. This seems to work best with the most popular items/players. Maybe i am out of touch, but I saw someone post a 1990 Pacific legends Hand Aaron autograph on facebook. It had a hidden reserve to protect the seller. The signature was nice, but to me that type of signed card is the bottom of the barrel. It was certified by one of the TPAs, but I don't recall which. He said BIN was $400, but reserve was "much less". Even at half the price, it seems extremely high to me, but then again I would only pay that kind of money for one of his pack certified cards and knowing that getting him via a private signing is in the range or more, it just makes me realize that I was lucky to be buying autographs in the early days of ebay for fractions of the prices we see today.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    I just checked out myslabs.com.............I like the 1% fee idea, but it looks like nothing but junk and overpriced modern stuff to me

There is a ton of over priced stuff. I sell on there some when I list at market it moves. There is a group of card bros from a particular fb group that list a ton of stuff on there that is higher end but up to 2-3x eBay. I mentioned in a post in the myslabs group that I tend to move right by the cards that are over priced and this little group started attacking me personally. If you can get past that kind of stuff it is a great hassle free place to do business.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 7:09PM

@mrmopar said:

I can't vouch for the results, but it seems people on facebook are willing to pay way more than necessary for things in certain groups I have checked out. This seems to work best with the most popular items/players. Maybe i am out of touch, but I saw someone post a 1990 Pacific legends Hand Aaron autograph on facebook. It had a hidden reserve to protect the seller. The signature was nice, but to me that type of signed card is the bottom of the barrel. It was certified by one of the TPAs, but I don't recall which. He said BIN was $400, but reserve was "much less". Even at half the price, it seems extremely high to me, but then again I would only pay that kind of money for one of his pack certified cards and knowing that getting him via a private signing is in the range or more, it just makes me realize that I was lucky to be buying autographs in the early days of ebay for fractions of the prices we see today.

I have found that 99% of things being sold on Facebook Marketplace are either counterfeit nonsense being sold by the scum of the earth, people who think their "mint" Griffey Donruss RC should get PSA 10 pricing or people trying to sell cards from the junk era for 50 times what they actually sell for. I put a few listings up of various things to test it out at only a fraction of what some were asking, but still higher than ebay prices and out of 25 or so items, sold one in 6 months. Bottom line is, most listings on FB are not sold at all.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    I recommend PWCC

I agree with PWCC or Probstein. I like both because in the past I have been burned on ebay with cancelling, etc...

I also like the BST on this forum but be mindful on using friends and family.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 9:48PM

Myslabs.com is interesting. I do have a seller account there, but nothing sold (ended up selling the items on eBay). Love the 1%, hate the crappy search, NFS section is useless to me.

When searching for Griffey cards the results are limited and overpriced. As was mentioned it does lean toward ultra modern.

It will be interesting to see where it is in 5 years.

I see 4SC is doing consignment now. Interesting to see where that goes. More info here.
    https://www.4sharpcornersimages2.com/images/SOC/SubForm1.pdf

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I know there are some programs that seem to search all over the internet for marketplace items. That is what sellers (and buyers) really need. A quick way to find things across many selling platforms. That will make finding deals as a buyer much harder, but think of all the stuff you'd otherwise miss, now being seen! Everyone wants to sell with little or no fees but some of the places sellers choose tend to be so small and off the beaten path, that they get lost. Most buyers don't have unlimited time to scour the web for their wants/needs.

Ebay definitely has issues for both buyers and sellers, but you can't really beat the exposure when it is something you need lots of eyes on. If only there was some way to get that exposure elsewhere, immediately.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

The best way I have found to sell is card shows/shops in your area. You are dealing one on one with potential buyers, they pay cash on the spot, though some shops may pay by check for really high end cards. But beware the shops have rent to pay and some will low ball offer whereas at the shows they are competing with 50+ other buyers.

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    I see 4SC is doing consignment now. Interesting to see where that goes. More info here.
    https://www.4sharpcornersimages2.com/images/SOC/SubForm1.pdf

I've been thinking about sending some to 4SC. We'll see if they bring the kind of page views that PWCC and Probstein do.
    5% promo rate is pretty enticing.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15