Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What to beware of with Mech Error correction

miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2020 3:06PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I've received many hundreds of cards back from PSA grading that have needed free mech error correction. I've sent lots of them back to have them fixed. I was always under the impression that the cards would only have the labels fixed, as mech error correction in no way asks for regrade or any sort of re-assessment review of the card's grade. I sent an order in at the end of last March and it was just completed today. There was a card in there that had the wrong year on the label, but it was graded an 8 and today's market would have its value approaching $2,000 or so. The value has gone up dramatically between when it was sent in (with a declared value on the form) and today when I should be getting it back, more than tenfold. Well, it is now being sent back to me as N6 min-size even though I did not ask for a review on the grade, just a fix of the year. I never would have thought that this scenario was a risk when getting my label errors corrected. Posting this so you can keep it in mind the next time you consider sending mislabeled items back for correction. Frustrated does not even begin to describe the situation.

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

And you're just out of luck with no compensation?

• Options

Still waiting to hear, as this problem just came up this afternoon. I don't have high hopes though. The compensation I'd like is for them to somehow stop the shipment even though it was sent out today, and for it to be put back in its original graded holder, as opposed to a voucher for today's value. I don't like the idea of getting a voucher for the declared value on the mech error sub form since it is no longer remotely representative of the item. But I don't even know whether I'll get anything regardless yet.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow. just wow.

sorry to hear this but very thankful for the heads up.

hopefully they make it right.

rethinking my stack of mech errors and even reholders.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    I've received many hundreds of cards back from PSA grading that have needed free mech error correction. I've sent lots of them back to have them fixed. I was always under the impression that the cards would only have the labels fixed, as mech error correction in no way asks for regrade or any sort of re-assessment review of the card's grade. I sent an order in at the end of last March and it was just completed today. There was a card in there that had the wrong year on the label, but it was graded an 8 and today's market would have its value approaching $2,000 or so. The value has gone up dramatically between when it was sent in (with a declared value on the form) and today when I should be getting it back, more than tenfold. Well, it is now being sent back to me as N6 min-size even though I did not ask for a review on the grade, just a fix of the year. I never would have thought that this scenario was a risk when getting my label errors corrected. Posting this so you can keep it in mind the next time you consider sending mislabeled items back for correction. Frustrated does not even begin to describe the situation.

Wow

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

I sent 20 mech errors in sept got them last week...no grade changes... I have never heard of such a thing

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I will go with Blurryface. "Wow and Wow". Scary. Mabe new ownership has new and different rules. I would be highly upset.

• Options

@MDLB said:
    One of dem trimmed cards that were gettin' through earlier from one of da big subbers which got poppered ? Modern ?

Where did you get the card from prior to subbing it ?

Nope. a 2004 soccer card I subbed originally

• Options
    edited December 31, 2020 8:26AM

@miwlvrn said:

@MDLB said:
    One of dem trimmed cards that were gettin' through earlier from one of da big subbers which got poppered ? Modern ?

Where did you get the card from prior to subbing it ?

Nope. a 2004 soccer card I subbed originally

in that case, i retract my original "wow" with WOW!

had it been a card/cert originally subbed by a known trimmer then i can understand and even applaud them for pulling the card. but naturally thinking they'd make you whole.

but this makes it an even bigger head-scratcher.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Reach out and contact someone, and I'll be surprised if you aren't reimbursed.

• Options

@lawyer05 said:
    I sent 20 mech errors in sept got them last week...no grade changes... I have never heard of such a thing

I am impressed and surprised that you lucked out with such a quick turnaround time on that order, congrats.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there anything wrong or suspicious of the original slab? The reason I ask this is because maybe they thought the slab was tampered with and took another look at your card. In doing so, they found the N6 flaw. If there was nothing odd about the slab, then why would they regrade it? I sent mech errors in the past and never had the grade change only the label error.

• Options

@pab1969 said:
    Was there anything wrong or suspicious of the original slab? The reason I ask this is because maybe they thought the slab was tampered with and took another look at your card. In doing so, they found the N6 flaw. If there was nothing odd about the slab, then why would they regrade it? I sent mech errors in the past and never had the grade change only the label error.

Nope. 100% certain there was nothing wrong with it. It was part of an order that I subbed for grading originally, and all other items within that order looked fine too. The certs have been in my registry since then too. The item never changed ownership.

• Options

any update on this?

• Options

@blurryface said:
    any update on this?

PSA is working with me on this. Process is now ongoing, so will provide a more complete update once I see how it turns out. The hopeful news so far though is that I was not told that I was out of luck or that they wouldn't try to work it out. Here's hopin'...