Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1977 Burger Chef grading

I noticed a few complete Burger Chef panels have been graded. Does anyone have examples or know how these are submitted? They are too large for the jumbo holders. Does PSA fold them or alter them in any way to fit in the holder? I have a few to submit and would like a number grade vs the risk of an authentic if cut down to an incorrect size.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:
    I think I have one

Great!! Do you mind posting a pic or emailing me at LDFergi@gmail?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Sah-weet! Looks great. Thank you.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

That is something I have never really looked into further or understood at a glance. The complete trays are clearly cut apart for the graded copy above, but the cards are all intact. Does is all come down to the cut/edge and surface, as it appears the discs themselves are pristine. The panels were not meant to be cut that way (that specific shape) by any means, so if you do it with a sharp blade with straight edge/angels, presumably you get a better grade? Does this piece suffer from being O/C because there is not an equal white space below the copyright line, where as the other "sides" have a larger white space?

If you are cutting away part of packaging to grade a card (like these Burger Chefs, 79 Raisin Bran Garvey, Hostess, Magazine cards, etc), how do you end up getting the lower grades when the cards themselves are complete and intact? I saw where some Garvey Raisin Bran panels were graded higher with part of his hat cut off, then similar panels cut around his head (his head pokes up past the "border" on these, for those not familiar.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    That is something I have never really looked into further or understood at a glance. The complete trays are clearly cut apart for the graded copy above, but the cards are all intact. Does is all come down to the cut/edge and surface, as it appears the discs themselves are pristine. The panels were not meant to be cut that way (that specific shape) by any means, so if you do it with a sharp blade with straight edge/angels, presumably you get a better grade? Does this piece suffer from being O/C because there is not an equal white space below the copyright line, where as the other "sides" have a larger white space?

If you are cutting away part of packaging to grade a card (like these Burger Chefs, 79 Raisin Bran Garvey, Hostess, Magazine cards, etc), how do you end up getting the lower grades when the cards themselves are complete and intact? I saw where some Garvey Raisin Bran panels were graded higher with part of his hat cut off, then similar panels cut around his head (his head pokes up past the "border" on these, for those not familiar.

My Post Garvey cards are all PSA graded, and most did not grade higher than 4 or 5. I think the main culprit in my case is that the panels have a manufactured crease (a completely straight line) on the backs of the panels that probably resulted in the lower grades. I'm not sure it's even possible to get higher than PSA 6 on this particular issue.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

my chefs should have been at least an 8 .........
    on the garvey i guess if you cut along the red line ..cutting off his head would be ...naturally correct i guess

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:
    my chefs should have been at least an 8 .........
    on the garvey i guess if you cut along the red line ..cutting off his head would be ...naturally correct i guess

Lawyer, I PM’d you several days ago looking for help with another jumbo issue. Thanks.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox