Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL players being paid in Bitcoin?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a wild story circulating that Carolina Panthers player Russell Okung is demanding to be paid his salary or at least some of it in Bitcoin. There's also a rumor that other NFL players want to be paid like this. I have heard of Bitcoin but I don't quite understand what it is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/russell-okung-panthers-nfl-salary-bitcoin/

Comments

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 3:26AM

I need to get out more. I blame my wife, she keeps me cooped up at home. She doesn't want me to go out and learn about the world. She's too attached to me. She's obsessed with me!

• Options

Ok, since my last post, I have learned a new piece of information on this Bitcoin thing. It is a form of something called "cryptocurrency". I learned that Richard Sherman has his own clothing and apparel website, and he accepts Bitcoin as payment, and Richard Sherman is also an investor into Bitcoin and other "cryptocurrency". This whole Bitcoin thing has peaked my curiosity.

https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/nfl-football-star-richard-sherman-invested-in-bitcoin-litecoin-and-ethereum/

• Options

Everything is becoming so technological these days. I can see a day when robots will eventually overthrow us and take over. It scares the heck out of me.

• Options

Apparently, Russell Okung is going to be paid half of his $13 million salary in Bitcoin. Here is a little video that kind of explains it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi5ZQxaqOX8

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 6:28AM

If I was Russell Okung, I would invest in tomatoes. Surprisingly, tomatoes are one of the most popular vegetables, and there's a fortune to be made. He should tell them to give him half of his salary in cash, and the other half in tomato seeds.

• Options

I wonder how many NFL players are going to start getting paid in Bitcoin? This whole concept is just insane to me.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I wonder how many NFL players are going to start getting paid in Bitcoin? This whole concept is just insane to me.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/74-bitcoin-questions-answered-202033293.html

74 bitcoin questions, answered

The link is one of the better articles i've seen explaining Bitcoin.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

It’s basically an investment on their money. Same thing as Gold in my opinion

• Options

I started reading that yahoo article and wow. I got lost at about number 3. It's talking about blockchain, and software, and mining for Bitcoin. This stuff seems pretty technical and complex if you actually try to get into it and make money from it. I'll take perkdogs word that it's basically an investment like gold. It's fascinating stuff, and I'm going to be looking into this more to try and understand it. I want to know what this mining and blockchain stuff means. I have to know. I can't stand not knowing!

• Options

Forms of money has always been only of value to what another person will accept it as.

Men lust for gold, but the old saying is if sand was a rarity, they would lust for sand.

Basically Bitcoin evolved as a way for others to trade and buy goods and services without any government interference, and so the parties decided to invent a system to accompany that. Many liked the idea and jumped on the bandwagon.

The first forms of money by our ancient ancestors was probably seashells. Bitcoin could very well be the new "seashell" form of money, until something else better comes along.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 9:58AM

@doubledragon said:
    I started reading that yahoo article and wow. I got lost at about number 3. It's talking about blockchain, and software, and mining for Bitcoin. This stuff seems pretty technical and complex if you actually try to get into it and make money from it. I'll take perkdogs word that it's basically an investment like gold. It's fascinating stuff, and I'm going to be looking into this more to try and understand it. I want to know what this mining and blockchain stuff means. I have to know. I can't stand not knowing!

I know a lot of offshore gambling accounts only take bitcoin. Major complaints are huge variations in what you collect from the day you cash out until you are paid electronically (which should only take a nano second.) Obviously not in the players favor.

I think you'll also need a wallet, and not the kind in your back pocket. :)

• Options

@stevek said:
    Forms of money has always been only of value to what another person will accept it as.

Men lust for gold, but the old saying is if sand was a rarity, they would lust for sand.

Basically Bitcoin evolved as a way for others to trade and buy goods and services without any government interference, and so the parties decided to invent a system to accompany that. Many liked the idea and jumped on the bandwagon.

The first forms of money by our ancient ancestors was probably seashells. Bitcoin could very well be the new "seashell" form of money, until something else better comes along.

Nice dissertation! 😁

• Options

I read that Japan is using Bitcoin. Did they copy this from us? Why must they always copy us? They copied KFC from us. Just look at what they did to our beloved Colonel Sanders!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I read that Japan is using Bitcoin. Did they copy this from us? Why must they always copy us? They copied KFC from us. Just look at what they did to our beloved Colonel Sanders!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@doubledragon said:

I know a lot of offshore gambling accounts only take bitcoin. Major complaints are huge variations in what you collect from the day you cash out until you are paid electronically (which should only take a nano second.) Obviously not in the players favor.

I think you'll also need a wallet, and not the kind in your back pocket. :)

Bitcoin became popular in the beginning to help keep government's prying eyes away from certain activities. But now its become mainstream for a lot of folks out there.

With most governments involved in irresponsible spending, and creating "money" out of thin air to pay for it, Bitcoin will become more popular.

Check out the history of the Weimar Republic and what they did to their currency. Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

I'm not exactly equating the US to the Weimar Republic. However with a 27 trillion dollar debt, it's beyond out of control, and a 50 trillion or 100 trillion dollar debt or more is possible sometime in the future, maybe sooner than we think. That's a lot of seashells.

• Options

I remember hearing about former NFL quarterback Matt Barkley demanding to be paid his salary in Bitcoin. He played for a lot of teams including the Eagles, Bears, 49ers, Bengals, and Bills. He wanted the 49ers and the Bengals to pay him in Bitcoin, but both teams refused. This story broke in 2019.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansided.com/2019/05/16/nfl-news-matt-barkley-wanted-to-be-paid-in-bitcoin-two-teams-refused/amp/

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 12:55PM

I think that crazy nut Barkley wanted ALL of his salary paid in Bitcoin!

• Options

I've been thinking about Bitcoin all day. I'm going mad. I want to know why? How? Why?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

idiots , the irs knows about bitcoin . Smarter to take your huge paycheck in dollars , and buy gold for cash . Then just act irresponsible and say duh I done spent it all . The old sunken sailboat scheme .

You are not going to be able to get your dough out of bitcoin unseen other than purchasing things directly with the bitcoin

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 1:16PM

I know what will take my mind off of Bitcoin, this photo of Terry Bradshaw flexing his muscles. Ah yes, that's better. Comedy always helps.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 4:44PM

I wonder if Bitcoin will ever be accepted at fast food restaurants?

• Options

Oh, oh! I just read an article about Jose Canseco and his dealings with Bitcoin. Jose was initially in favor of Bitcoin, but now he says, "Stay away from Bitcoin, it is mathematically structured for a lot of people to lose money, and a small group of people to make a killing."

https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/jose-conseco-warns-the-world-to-stay-away-from-bitcoins-pyramid-scheme-via-twitter/?amp=1

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    idiots , the irs knows about bitcoin . Smarter to take your huge paycheck in dollars , and buy gold for cash . Then just act irresponsible and say duh I done spent it all . The old sunken sailboat scheme .

You are not going to be able to get your dough out of bitcoin unseen other than purchasing things directly with the bitcoin

A few years ago, the largest Bitcoin company was forced by the IRS to provide the IRS with a list of all their users who transacted 20k worth of Bitcoin during the year.

• Options

If you get a speeding ticket, can it be paid in Bitcoin? So many questions, so little answers.