Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

interesting questioned posed on an ebay return...

blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2020 7:12PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

long story short, ja morant looks like he suffered a decent injury. carted off in a wheel chair.

sold a few high dollar cards recently and just got a message from a guy, who is primarily a vintage collector, but has ventured into the modern arena. he hasn't processed a return but basically got a message along the lines of "at what point do you toss out the conventional rules of returns and start using the rules to your advantage?"

my personal answer and opinion is "never", but w/ the way he posed the question it just got me thinking if there is any truth to what he's asking? i certainly wouldn't hit my golf ball off the cart path if i had the misfortune of it landing on it.

if anything and the guy does file, at least he was honest in his approach and give him credit for that. it's the guys that pass the blame or act stupid that get me.

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I don't understand the question. Certainly, at some points some people will break some rules. There will always be people who will think it is OK to cheat to save $1, or $10, or $100 etc. There will be people who will think it's OK to rip off a big corporation, but not a private individual, or a perfect stranger on eBay but not a neighbor, or a neighbor but not a family member.

But somehow I don't think this is what you're asking.

• Options

@daltex said:

But somehow I don't think this is what you're asking.

it's exactly what i'm asking. it's not any big secret that returns for any reason are pretty much a given on ebay. at what point do you quit fighting the machine?

taking it bit further, i'm more inclined to welcome a return to someone that is straight up honest about a return vs one that comes up w an all out lie to simply to take advantage of a rule, when they don't have to even lie in the first place.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just sounds like he typically doesn’t play the return game on the bay, but in this case he is testing your waters. Things sure are risky selling on the bay. As we have discussed many times, buyer friendly.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 8:30PM

I read the original post as exploring the morality of buyers exploiting PayPal return policies. Is it OK as long as you are within the eBay/Paypal rules? Or (as seems pretty obvious) is returning a card two months after the fact because you think it will lose value just plain wrong?

• Options
    edited December 28, 2020 8:31PM

@NGS428 said:
    It just sounds like he typically doesn’t play the return game on the bay, but in this case he is testing your waters. Things sure are risky selling on the bay. As we have discussed many times, buyer friendly.

he doesn't. and has bought plenty from me in the past. again, i don't even expect him to file a return. his approach was simply refreshing and straight forward to some of the other reasons folks apply for a return. all i'm getting at, i guess.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I read the original post as exploring the morality of buyers exploiting PayPal return policies. Is it OK as long as you are within the eBay/Paypal rules? Or (as seems pretty obvious) is returning a card two months after the fact because you think it will lose value just plain wrong?

exactly what i think he was getting at. i have a 14 day return policy, card was sold 20 days ago. technically he could still file a "not as described" case per the rules. we all know "not as described" could mean basically anything. i'm taking his message as "i know a return would be wrong but if i chose to do so, technically would not be breaking any rules and fully within my rights however effed up it is".

• Options

im thinking he's seen horrible bosses:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62xjfuP_mKQ

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Two days after the first post and it looks like they are saying 3-5 weeks. My guess is, 3-5 weeks in the context of a long career isnt going to make a big difference for someone buying his RC. Now, lets say, they diagnosed it as "career ending", you could bet your bottom dollar, you are getting the card back.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

@mtcards said:
    Two days after the first post and it looks like they are saying 3-5 weeks. My guess is, 3-5 weeks in the context of a long career isnt going to make a big difference for someone buying his RC. Now, lets say, they diagnosed it as "career ending", you could bet your bottom dollar, you are getting the card back.

i think you hit the nail on the head. hadn't heard a peep since the medical report was made public. i heard horror stories across the board when burrow got carted off. it was obvious that was a season ending injury there at the very least.