Home Sports Talk
Options

Does the NFL have a set COVID-19 policy??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

So when I prepared to watch the Cleveland Browns vs. New York Jets game today I was surprised to learn that the three starting receivers along with a few other players were ineligible for today's game due to COVID-19, either testing positive or under quarantine, I believe 6-7 total. Certainly the number of players isn't near the number from Teams around Week 12 when games were postponed to a later date, but the implications at this point in the season are a bit greater.

From what I read they'll need a 24 hour turn-around for test results, so why not wait for a day, maybe two, to play the game?? It was done several weeks ago and worked out. I know I'm biased because it's the Browns, but it seems the NFL made this call like their Officials make PI calls, based much of the time on "judgement" of the Official and favoring certain Teams or QB's.

Anyway, even before the game started I assumed Cleveland would lose and they did. It's tough enough to win in the NFL, tougher still with guys that usually ride the pine pony. Worse than that, Cleveland was forced to play most of the game with three Tight Ends as wideouts.

Maybe 20-30 years ago, but that won't work in todays quick passing game!! A pox on you, NFL. By the arbitrary nature of the way you operate, the end of a 17-year Playoff drought is now in jeopardy.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. Here’s the policy. Anyone screws up on your team and the whole team suffers. Welcome to responsible gentlemen. You’re all grown up.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Anyone screws up on your team and the whole team suffers. Welcome to responsible gentlemen

that sounds logical on its face until you understand that players have families and the rest of the World does as it wants. are you really of the opinion that anyone contracting COVID-19 has acted irresponsibly??

right now the Browns have gone pretty much the whole week without practice and I'll assume staying at home. they have nowhere to go, gyms are closed, all access to any Team facility is denied and they can't interact with each other. it's a pretty bad situation at exactly the worst time in the season.

they are not alone. the Miami Dolphins face a critical game, if they lose they are probably out of any playoff chance. now we learn that Ryan Fitzpatrick has tested positive for COVID-19. did he act irresponsibly??

in a strange sort of way the NFL is left with egg on its face for not doing something with the season to allow for this sort of thing, some kind of flexibility to allow for "make-up" games to be played. instead, they forced Denver to play when all their QB's were sick, the Steelers were jack-assed around because the Ravens had sick players, the Ravens got a pass on everything and the Browns were forced to play with all their starting WR's out.

we should all hold our breath and hope nothing happens going forward. if the wrong players on the wrong Teams test positive from here on out it'll put the NFL in a really hard place with the "F" orfiet word hanging in the balance.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of all the Covid crap and how the NFL has or hasn’t handled it I’m pretty happy we are this far into the season without any major hiccups. All teams and players are on a level playing field with this virus situation, some get it some don’t. Haskins was unmasked and partying his butt off and was Covid free and started. It is what it is

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if some pro athletes are privy to the vaccine on the QT. It would be to the markets advantage to ensure the players are safe.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I wonder if some pro athletes are privy to the vaccine on the QT. It would be to the markets advantage to ensure the players are safe.

They are the healthiest least at risk people on the planet , but we need to let them cut the line ?
    good luck explaining that to everyones older relatives

• Options

:)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

They are the healthiest least at risk people on the planet , but we need to let them cut the line ?
    good luck explaining that to everyones older relatives

Come on man. There are lots of old people and very few NFL players. Get it together

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

there has already been some line cutting though the media hasn't been talking about it.

• Options

yeah, everyone who wanted to deny the truth of the Pandemic sure are anxious and happy to be first in line, it's sort of disgusting to watch money and power supersede actual need. NFL players need to wait at the back of the line where they belong while they allow the unheralded heroes to be vaccinated.

• Options

@keets said:
    yeah, everyone who wanted to deny the truth of the Pandemic sure are anxious and happy to be first in line, it's sort of disgusting to watch money and power supersede actual need. NFL players need to wait at the back of the line where they belong while they allow the unheralded heroes to be vaccinated.

sure but I mean when the rich and connected cut the line the media is strangely silent ;)

I saw some reports on the internet irregularities in hospitals happened , like higher ups that don't work with patients getting jabbed before the front line workers . Nothing but crickets on the TV news though.

• Options

I'm in agreement with you 100%.

to circle back to the topic, since the NFL hasn't stated any firm COVID-19 policy regarding the re-scheduling or forfeiture of games, I wonder what they'll do as the playoffs start and there's an outbreak with one or more Teams?? it would seem they would HAVE TO re-schedule or the reaction might get ugly. maybe they force a Team to play short-handed and swallow hard, but I'd bet that decision would have a lot to do with what Team(s) is involved and who the player(s) are.

• Options

Few weeks ago the Commish was interviewed at half time during the Sunday night game. He said all the games will be played. What will really be of interest if come SB time if any of the star players,QB WR RB fall ill. Would they move the big game to a later date? SB bubble anyone?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

ABC reports during the Ole Miss-Indiana game:NO Saint Kamara has Covid won't play Sunday. Browns have closed their facility for 3rd time in 4 days. 5 players will not play Sunday. Game is still on.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    ABC reports during the Ole Miss-Indiana game:NO Saint Kamara has Covid won't play Sunday. Browns have closed their facility for 3rd time in 4 days. 5 players will not play Sunday. Game is still on.

The entire Saints backfield is out this week including the running back coach. Alvin with Covid and the rest close contacts

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

it's ridiculous. the only time the NFL can reasonably "save face" is at the Championship Games with the extra week and the Super Bowl. by doing nothing prior to that and then essentially helping those Teams it comes off as looking pretty bad. the situation in New Orleans is similar to what Cleveland faced, only at a different position. how can the NFL justify hurting one of the top Teams at the end of the season like this?? depending on how severe the infection is, Alvin Kamara will either be out for the first round or playing at less than 100%.

there's no way to know for sure, but it's an almost certainty that some Team suffers a loss in the Playoffs because the NFL has no balls.

• Options

I like the way have handled it personally. Keep a tight ship or go to the bottom. My team is one of the teams you would have expected to sail through the corona with old iron hand Bill at the wheel but noooooo.

Covid cost the patriots probably 2 games either from starters being out or lack of practice , or 8 guys opting out , or teams not responding effectively. Tough $hit everyone is in the same boat .

Its like my first job as a roofer , I was getting paid $4 an hour and the boss said to me if you fall off the roof you are fired , literally in mid air :D

• Options

@keets said:
    it's ridiculous. the only time the NFL can reasonably "save face" is at the Championship Games with the extra week and the Super Bowl. by doing nothing prior to that and then essentially helping those Teams it comes off as looking pretty bad. the situation in New Orleans is similar to what Cleveland faced, only at a different position. how can the NFL justify hurting one of the top Teams at the end of the season like this?? depending on how severe the infection is, Alvin Kamara will either be out for the first round or playing at less than 100%.

there's no way to know for sure, but it's an almost certainty that some Team suffers a loss in the Playoffs because the NFL has no balls.

every team but one will suffer a loss in the playoffs , its just another way to lose . There were 1000 ways now there are 1001

• Options

Tough $hit everyone is in the same boat

please explain the Baltimore exception.