Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Meanwhile, Mail in the US

Auction winnings up in Albany mailed out on 12/10. Arrived on 12/21, downstate NY.
Auction invoice mailed from Santa Rosa, CA on 12/16. Arrived here today, 12/26!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sedwick book mailed on 11/30, still waiting. eBay purchase 12/8, the same.

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a coin mailed the 6th of Dec. last scan was the 13th.

Bought a coin from Harlan J Berk, making them wait till it ships sometime after new years because of how bad the PO is.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a coin from HJB on 12/16. Received it on 12/24.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

USPS service is amazingly bad right now. Almost all of our shipments are taking around 2 weeks to arrive, at best. Have a bunch of orders going from CT to MA, NH, and RI that were routed through St. Louis (!?!?). And apparently, orders to FL are have been taking a tropical vacation en route in Puerto Rico...

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent something 2-day priority and it took about 8 days.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

If you can ship via FedEx, UPS or DHL - they have been very good and are beating their expected delivery date most of the time.

USPS first class and priority - one to two weeks behind and forget about media or bulk delivery.
    Very poor performance. The local offices have been great -!its the distribution facilities that have fallen apart. Watch for news stating they find undelivered mail stashed away or discarded. Thefts are up,as well it seems.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I shipped two first class packages on Monday, one arrived Wednesday and the other, today. I received two priority mail packages this week, both took three days.

FWIW...

• FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Zero problems or delays this year. Been pretty impressed. Guess it depends where you’re shipping to/from.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipped a Priority box to Seattle. Took 4 days to get from Buffalo to Rochester. Then 2 days ROC to SEA.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • tcollectstcollects Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭

I think it's pretty well accepted fact that a lot of mail sorting machines were dismantled to prevent mail in voting, hopefully they can reassemble them in a couple months

Why would machines dismantled to prevent delivery of votes sent in envelopes delay the delivery of packages?

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received my Heritage catalogs for the Hong Kong sale—held 17 December.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Why would machines dismantled to prevent delivery of votes sent in envelopes delay the delivery of packages?

I don't know, but don't you think there's a connection? Maybe all that effort manually sorting envelopes diverted effort sorting packages? I could have sworn the mail wasn't this slow even when everything was shut down up through a couple months ago, so what's the new factor? Everyone has a story - priority packages taking a week, express mail from Western Europe taking months, ordinary domestic mail lost or remarkably delayed, heck, even that guy's top pop Bugs Bunny half got run over by a forklift or something. Anyway, the point wasn't political, it's hopeful... We know they dismantled a bunch of machines involved in the mail system, so hopefully, when they reassemble them and turn them back on, we'll get our coins faster.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most first class and priority mail packages are taking 7-10 days for me to receive here in SE WI.

Worst I had was an eBay item from 12/6, which was accepted by the USPS in Montana and finally made it here on 12/21...14 days.

Jeff

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most priority mail packages are taking 10 days or more to arrive..hoping things will improve now that Christmas is over.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 5:32AM

According to my Postal Clerk, who used to work at a big sort facility. The biggest problem they are having is a shortage of workers and drivers at the sort facilities, many due to Covid. She said there are trailers full of mail with no drivers available to haul them as well as trailers sitting with no one available to unload them. This makes a lot of sense following the many packages I have been sending. They seem to get hung up in bunches...sitting for a week or so and then they all start moving together. Couple that with what appears to be a record shipping season that will probably beat the last record by more than 20% in volume due to so many people doing their Christmas shopping online this year.

Personally I don't believe this BS about the sort machines causing this. If anything was the cause it was the restrictions in the beginning not allowing overtime which probably caused them to fall behind causing a snowball effect.

@tcollects said:

@MasonG said:

I don't know, but don't you think there's a connection? Maybe all that effort manually sorting envelopes diverted effort sorting packages? I could have sworn the mail wasn't this slow even when everything was shut down up through a couple months ago, so what's the new factor? Everyone has a story - priority packages taking a week, express mail from Western Europe taking months, ordinary domestic mail lost or remarkably delayed, heck, even that guy's top pop Bugs Bunny half got run over by a forklift or something. Anyway, the point wasn't political, it's hopeful... We know they dismantled a bunch of machines involved in the mail system, so hopefully, when they reassemble them and turn them back on, we'll get our coins faster.

@tcollects said:
    I don't know, but don't you think there's a connection?

No. See amwldcoin's post below for a reasonable explanation.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2020 11:24AM

My understanding is that there is a general reluctance to hire more people when they need more help because of the perceived effect of the union, so they just let the work pile up hoping the workload will drop before it gets worse.

There are definitely some reasons why workers union representatives are the only ones they can get for interviews on the USPS situation in a lot of articles I read.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me