Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2020 Quarter sells for over $3K! How cool is this!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2020 1:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A 2020 quarter selling for over $3K was recently mentioned by @ErrorsOnCoins and @WQuarterFreddie in the best performing modern coins of 2020 thread, so I had to look it up!

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
I saw a 2020 Quarter go for $3000

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
I disagree ;)

I saw a 2020 Quarter go for $3000

$3299 to be exact😉😎

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1048866/the-coin-analyst-the-best-performing-modern-coins-of-2020#latest

It's the lower graded of the 2020-W Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller Discovery quarters. I wonder what the top graded one would go for!

Here's some info on these from PCGS:

https://www.pcgs.com/news/2020-quarter-quest-winners-split-2000-dollar-prize-for-w-vermont-quarter

2020-W Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller Quarter - Discovery Specimen - PCGS MS65 POP 0/1/1 - Karl P. Maryland Specimen

This quarter was sold for $3,299 as a BIN.

Karl didn’t know what he was going to find searching through bank rolls, but he kept his eyes on the prize – that being a 2020-W Quarter. “It has been a crazy year for coin roll hunting!” he says. “COVID-19 regulations here in Maryland have resulted in most bank lobbies being closed and therefore [it’s] impossible to obtain quarter boxes. In addition, the Federal Reserve declaring a coin shortage a few months ago throughout the U.S.A. has made it difficult to pay cash for purchases making it extremely difficult to obtain any coins let alone the coveted 2020-W Quarters.”

However, there was one bank near him that kept its lobby open, allowing Karl to purchase and swap boxes of quarters. “Most of the boxes are old quarters, which still yield an occasional 2019-W quarter, and to date I haven't gotten any 2020 [American Samoa] ‘Bat’ or [Connecticut] ‘Weir’ Quarters. However, recently I have gotten a total of six 2020 Salt River Bay [National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve] Quarter boxes, but none of them had any W Quarters.” He adds, “I was getting extremely discouraged; however, I kept at it and never gave up the search.”

Fortunately, Karl struck it rich – ironically, not via a roll of quarters. “Luckily, I was able to find a 2020-W Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller [National Historical Park] Quarter last week, and it came from a local convenience store! I couldn't believe it, and I submitted the quarter expecting to be just a little late for it to qualify as a First Discovery Quarter. I figured the worst-case scenario was that I would get the First Week of Discovery label. Imagine my surprise when I was informed that, in fact, I was one of two lucky winners!”

“I really appreciate PCGS offering this contest for everyone to participate. As a two-time winner, I can tell you that I began my coin collecting hobby just last year because of the Quarter Quest, and it has been a blast!” says the cowinner of the 2019 PCGS Quarter Quest, when he submitted the First Discovery 2019-W Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Quarter. “I have been hooked ever since my first find, which was a 2019-W Northern Mariana American Memorial National Park Quarter.”

Karl attended his first coin show last year, and he says the highlight of that experience – visiting the Whitman Expo in Baltimore – was attending the PCGS Luncheon. “PCGS is a first-class company with a tremendous reputation and offers collectors the best value for graded coins.”

2020-W Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller Quarter - Discovery Specimen - PCGS MS66 POP 1/1/0 - John B. Southern United States Specimen

This is the higher graded specimen. It looks a bit more fully struck to me.

“I felt like a fish out of water,” says John of the excitement he felt in finding the 2020-W Vermont Quarter. “The adrenaline, excitement, the wait, the rush, the anxiety, anticipation, the joy and disbelief – all at the same time!” He was a long time waiting for the moment, as he is a long-time collector. A fan of Standing Liberty Quarters, error coins, and other pieces, works in the food industry, though his job affords him much time to travel and also search through rolls. “Whenever I visit my banks, I always ask for rolls and boxes to take back home and search.” He picked up three boxes of quarters during a 72-hour span in Florida, Mississippi, and Alabama the weekend before his discovery.

“They say, things happen when you aren't looking, and in this case I wasn't looking for the [2020-W] Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller Quarter – I was still looking for the elusive Salt River Bay Quarter and everything in between, especially with the [PCGS] countdown for the Early Find Label submission. When I got home I didn't really open the boxes until Monday, and when I opened the second box and [it] was full of new [2020] Marsh-Billing-Rockefeller Quarters and saw a ‘W’ ender [a W-mint marked specimen at the end of one of the rolls], that’s when everything turned upside down.

His next thoughts? “How many are there? What to do now? And then it was ‘ohhh, I need to send them…” And send one he did – to PCGS as a 2020 Quarter Quest submission. “One little detail in the commotion was that I never marked the quarter boxes, and thus I believe the box I got in Florida was the one with the 2020 Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park Quarters.” The Tom Hanks fan who loves the widely acclaimed 1994 movie Forrest Gump in which the actor stars sums up his numismatic experience this way: “The hobby is like a box of chocolates… You never know what you are going to get – and that’s all I have to say about that!”

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story.... @Zoins...Thanks for posting this. I have not searched boxes of quarters, but have searched pocket change (I get a lot since I deal in cash a lot)...No W quarters that way yet...but they must be out there. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to see any W quarter of any type in my area. But congrats to that guy for winning a small lottery.

• Options
    edited December 26, 2020 8:39AM

@Crypto said:
    I honestly wouldn’t give 30c for it but I see the appeal to modern collectors. I just will always remember something one of the curators at the Smithsonian told me when I interned there one summer.

“Be careful of things made to be collectible as investments. They lack the critical element of attrition. True collectibles typically start out organically as beloved or utilitarian items that get used up and become scarce which causes people to go looking for survivors. Made collectibles are just people currently looking to profit off collectible dollars”

While there is typically a buying frenzy and money to be made for sure, that isn’t the same as a healthy two way market. There will always be more of those gem V75 quarters than actual set building collectors for a thousand years*

(*assuming no nuclear Armageddon)

That's true when the surviving specimens is much greater than the number of collectors.

It's more okay if the mintage is low, like the 1913 Barber nickel.

It's also okay for many of the fantasy pattern coins made for collectors by the Mint in the 1800s but there I think the warning is beware of thin markets.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not the 2020 Quarter I was talking about so there are at least two 2020 quarters that went for over 3K :o

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    That is not the 2020 Quarter I was talking about so there are at least two 2020 quarters that went for over 3K :o

OMG! More quarters to find!

This has the $3,299 price mentioned by @WQuarterFreddie.

Did these other two sell for this exact price?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Only one other quarter that I know of, not two others, 2 total.

Not the same price and not a V75.

• Options
    edited December 26, 2020 9:09AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Only one other quarter that I know of, not two others, 2 total.

Not the same price and not a V75.

I was thinking it might be a struck thru V75 so thanks for clearing that up ;)

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

does it stand to reason that the more of these high grade specimens are found and graded that the price will decrease as the pops grow?

• Options

Naw it was a major quarter error with a backstory ;)

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    does it stand to reason that the more of these high grade specimens are found and graded that the price will decrease as the pops grow?

I think the price has to do with it being a "discovery" specimen, and there won't be any more of those.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

I think the price has to do with it being a "discovery" specimen, and there won't be any more of those.

ahhh - righton - thx, zoins

• Options
    edited December 26, 2020 9:27AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Naw it was a major quarter error with a backstory ;)

Any more information on the story, frontstory or backstory, would be useful at this point! :)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

“Be careful of things made to be collectible as investments. They lack the critical element of attrition. True collectibles typically start out organically as beloved or utilitarian items that get used up and become scarce which causes people to go looking for survivors. Made collectibles are just people currently looking to profit off collectible dollars”

Truer words have never been spoken in this hobby

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

It absolutely boggles the mind someone would spend 3k on this. Anything that loses 99 percent of its value when cracked out of the slab is not for me.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

3K for a poorly struck modern coin, not for me but to each his own.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@Rarity said:
    Wonderful story and a beautiful coin. Thanks for posting.

Another early find in action at the moment
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-W-MARSH-BILLINGS-ROCKEFELLER-EARLY-FIND-MS66-PCGS-NP-QUARTER-GOLD-SHIELD/274615604213?hash=item3ff05d93f5:g:8bAAAOSwHflf2r8L

What in the world does that mean, "Early find?!"

Label madness is reaching its zenith. As if "First strike," wasn't bad enough.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the label not the coin?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will just say that there are a lot of cool coins out there I could buy for $3,000 plus bucks!!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Buy the label not the coin?

People do all the time. Especially if has some “big name” in numismatics.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@Rarity said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-W-MARSH-BILLINGS-ROCKEFELLER-EARLY-FIND-MS66-PCGS-NP-QUARTER-GOLD-SHIELD/274615604213?hash=item3ff05d93f5:g:8bAAAOSwHflf2r8L

I’m gonna start searching still have all my ASE US mint coins in unopened boxes. Didn’t get the 75th as I was with my Family dealing with the loss of my Dad. Hard year 2020 but a lot of first fir me too. Grateful to so many here who have been around fir me in spirit and helping me along the way. 2021 is setting up for excellent things to come. Watch out work Kathleen is still here still in coins and enjoying all my coin buddies. You guys and gales are fantastic

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's one of only 10 million struck!!!

This isn't even a true "discovery" coin. A discovery coin would be the first of a variety that someone discovered that no one previously knew existed. This is simply the first coin submitted to win a corporate contest. The price boggles...

Hey everyone! I had to chime in on this one....it is 1 of 2 labeled First Discovery Marsh-Billings and there were 2 million 2020 W Marsh-Billings made NOT 10 million. Specifically, there were 2 million of each W quarter made in 2019 and 2020 with 5 varieties each year.....so now there are 20 million W quarters made.😎

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2020 8:25AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

This isn't even a true "discovery" coin. A discovery coin would be the first of a variety that someone discovered that no one previously knew existed. This is simply the first coin submitted to win a corporate contest. The price boggles...

Hey everyone! I had to chime in on this one....it is 1 of 2 labeled First Discovery Marsh-Billings and there were 2 million 2020 W Marsh-Billings made NOT 10 million. Specifically, there were 2 million of each W quarter made in 2019 and 2020 with 5 varieties each year.....so now there are 20 million W quarters made.😎

Still not a "discovery" coin. It should be labeled "contest winner". It may not have even been the first one found. It just happens to be the 1st one found that someone entered into the contest.

And, yes, 2 million of this reverse. Getting rarer by the second.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2020 8:26AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Great info! Seems like a fun series to collect.

I have to ask, why did you pick WQuarterFreddie for your handle? Do you specifically focus on West Point quarters? Are they got you into collecting?

• Options

@DCW said:
    It absolutely boggles the mind someone would spend 3k on this. Anything that loses 99 percent of its value when cracked out of the slab is not for me.

I believe this coin is a vital part of the PCGS registry set and therefore is valuable to those collectors building registry sets.

Just my thoughts. I would appreciate a confirmation on this please 🤔

• Options

@Zoins said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Great info! Seems like a fun series to collect.

I have to ask, why did you pick WQuarterFreddie for your handle? Do you specifically focus on West Point quarters? Are they got you into collecting?

Yes and I live in Maryland 😉

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@DCW said:

I believe this coin is a vital part of the PCGS registry set and therefore is valuable to those collectors building registry sets.

Why would the "Discovery Coin" be a vital part of a registry set?

• Options
    edited December 27, 2020 8:36AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@DCW said:

From what I see in:

Washington Quarters with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1932-Present)

2020 isn't included yet! :o

Going back to 2019, you only need a W quarter, not a First Discovery, Early Releases or other slab variety. Making a First Discovery required would put off a lot of registry set participants.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@DCW said:

From what I see in:

Washington Quarters with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1932-Present)

2020 isn't included yet! :o

Going back to 2019, you only need a W quarter, not a First Discovery, Early Releases or other slab variety. Making a First Discovery required would put off a lot of registry set participants.

Interesting. Being new I am not familiar with registry sets but someone told me last year they bought a 2109-W First Discovery and that put them in first place.

Maybe PCGS has a registry contest?

• Options

@DCW said:

@Rarity said:

PCGS has the following labels for the W quarters:
    First Discovery which are for the first quarter(s) submitted to them.

First Week of Discovery which are for any quarters submitted within 7 days from when they announced that First Discovery has been found.

Early Find which are for any quarters submitted within 45 days from when they announced that First Discovery has been found

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

My buy price would be 25 cents.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Interesting. Being new I am not familiar with registry sets but someone told me last year they bought a 2109-W First Discovery and that put them in first place.

All these and any other special labels are meaningless for registry purposes, they do not add points or value to a registry set. I suspect that what the person who told you that meant was that because he was the first person to add a 2019 W to his set he temporally jumped to the first spot. Once all the other modern quarter collectors acquired and added their W qtrs he may have fallen back to his original ranking spot.

These labels are nothing more than hype and marketing to drive interest and make a temporary market for this product. As was pointed out all this means is this is one of the first two that were sent and graded by PCGS, not that these were in fact the first two found, and the use of the word discovery is just silly.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

All these and any other special labels are meaningless for registry purposes, they do not add points or value to a registry set. I suspect that what the person who told you that meant was that because he was the first person to add a 2019 W to his set he temporally jumped to the first spot. Once all the other modern quarter collectors acquired and added their W qtrs he may have fallen back to his original ranking spot.

These labels are nothing more than hype and marketing to drive interest and make a temporary market for this product. As was pointed out all this means is this is one of the first two that were sent and graded by PCGS, not that these were in fact the first two found, and the use of the word discovery is just silly.

Thank you for the clarification of registry sets but the "silly" comment was rude and unnecessary. We should be here to support and educate each other not ridicule someone else's collection or purchase. I am sure others find your personal collection or purchases "silly" as well.😤

I say to each their own and that is what makes us different and supports the hobby as a whole.😎

• Options

I am sure others find your personal collection or purchases "silly" as well.😤

For sure, the difference is that I'm not so thin skinned that I would get all but hurt about it.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said:

For sure, the difference is that I'm not so thin skinned that I would get all but hurt about it.

Not hurt at all....just tired of the negativity 🙄

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@coinbuf said:

Not hurt at all....just tired of the negativity 🙄

I'll tell you what I'll be very supportive of you if you prove to me that you have paid 3K+ for a W quarter. Show me that you are a two way maker in this market.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@coinbuf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Thank you for the clarification of registry sets but the "silly" comment was rude and unnecessary. We should be here to support and educate each other not ridicule someone else's collection or purchase. I am sure others find your personal collection or purchases "silly" as well.😤

I say to each their own and that is what makes us different and supports the hobby as a whole.😎

He said the use of the word "discovery" was silly. He said nothing about your collection.

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie
    Welcome to the forum. Please dont expect most members here to support the label game. If you like it, fine. Most collectors here are advanced enough to see a gimmick when it is in front of them, and no offense, but this is a rather silly label. I mean, as you point out, there are 2,000,000 of these quarters! And this one is not special because someone brought it to the attention of PCGS before anyone else.
    The most members here are willing to accept regarding the label game is "First Strike," which also means nothing having been debunked long ago. Those labels just carry a premium, so people keep up with what they have.
    You can, of course, collect what you like and even pay a few thousand for a coin like this. Just don't expect others to share your fascination.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Unbelievable. I didn't start this thread but I am done with you negative people.....and you wonder why this is a dying hobby....🙄

• Options

thinskinindeed

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Unbelievable. I didn't start this thread but I am done with you negative people.....and you wonder why this is a dying hobby....🙄

I'm not sure why you are taking it personally. Look at some of what they say to me. LOL.

The people on this thread are not fans of the "Discovery" label. PCGS should be hurt. I'm not sure why you would be. No one here has yet said anything about you or your collection - unless you were the one who paid $3000 for the "Discovery" coin.

It's just the other side of the equation. Obviously, at least 2 people cared $3000 worth about the label. So what? You also just found a dozen people who aren't going to chase that number.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2020 3:57AM

Interesting turn of events.

Seems like:

1. US Mint puts out a coin.
    2. PCGS makes a contest.
    3. Collector gets interested in the coins and contest.
    4. Contest quarter get sold for more than what some here would pay.
    5. Forums rag on the value placed on the contest coin.

I understand the opinions of many that posted, but I also wonder what our host thinks of this.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every 2020 W minted quarter will carry the privy mark correct?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

@Zoins said:

Seems like:

2. PCGS makes a contest.

I understand the opinions of many that posted, but I also wonder what our host thinks of this.

I'm not sure that PCGS created the contest trying to create a "rare slab".

• Options

@morgansforever

Yes, all 10 million of them have the privy mark

• Options
    edited December 28, 2020 6:23AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

Seems like:

2. PCGS makes a contest.

I'm not sure that PCGS created the contest trying to create a "rare slab".

What makes you unsure? Our hosts put "PCGS First Discovery" on the slab. What other intention can they have?

PCGS First Discovery has also been assigned its own PCGS Coin Number and is listed as a Variety in PCGS Cert Verification and CoinFacts.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 6:56AM

The first discovery label sold for over $3K, not the quarter.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file