Home Sports Talk
Options

Is practice important?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 1:25PM

In this video, NFL insider Ian Rapoport offers a few thoughts on the Deandre Hopkins practice scandal.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

DeAndre is one laid-back dude. He has his reasons. If that's good enough for his grandpa it's good enough for me.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 2:28PM

D-Hop is the best WR in the game. Besides that fact a lot of these guys that are elite players can use the rest so not practicing is probably better for them anyways. He and otherwise that miss a practice are already in “Football shape” know the playbook and are just flat out good.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    D-Hop is the best WR in the game. Besides that fact a lot of these guys that are elite players can use the rest so not practicing is probably better for them anyways. He and otherwise that miss a practice are already in “Football shape” know the playbook and are just flat out good.

Yes, and the media knows that he had ankle, neck, and back problems this year and they still attack him. As long as he gets the job done on Sunday, that's what matters. And he does.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Why did I know DD was going to bring up Iverson.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wednesday’s are normally Veterans Day off so that accounts for 15 missed practices. All it is is something for the talking heads to discuss. They are about as essential as tits on a bull.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being in shape is important. Knowing the playbook is important. Some players only accomplish these things by going to practice. Some players accomplish these things outside of practice. So there are many nuances to the question in the OP. A lot depends on position, familiarity with each other within the position group, what part of the season it is, etc.

In general the greatest of the greats practice a lot, but they know how and when to practice. They don't need to practice for the sake of practicing.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

do you think a wide receiver needs to be at practice for the QB??

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

going to practice is only important if you want to win championships. football is the ultimate team sport. practice in football is not just taking batting practice or taking free throws in the gym. every player on offense and on defense needs to be in sync with both their system and teammates. that does not effectively translate through film or meetings.

how many rings has hopkins or Iverson won?

as two examples: Jordan and Brady. both were extreme practice players and took it VERY seriously. 12 rings between them. championships take work and dedication, but yes, you can lead the league in receptions and yardage by missing practice...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you read the article and do the math then the conclusion is he may have missed practice one time when he was healthy.
    It says he has missed 18 practices, 10 of those were on Wednesday when veterans didn't have to show.
    That leaves 8, of which 5 he missed because of an ankle injury and 2 because of illness.
    That leaves 1 possibly legitimate missed practice.
    So what's the big deal?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The two posts above me by @craig44 and @Darin are both correct in my opinion, but there is one important detail of which I am unsure. Does he take the Wednesdays off just because he can or because it helps with his recovery? If he performs better on Sundays by having that day off, then this is a big to-do over nothing. If he takes each Wednesday off for any other reason, then it is him just skipping practice.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is a high maintenance bitch regardless of his practice attendance