Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA's Quick Opinion was wrong?

I bought a signed Brown's Boxing card, and sent the images to PSA's Quick Opinion - which came back as "Likely Not Genuine", despite the fact that his card was signed Joe Calzaghe (and the providence of the card is sound) ~

Does this happen often? And if I were to send this into PSA to get it encapsulated that it'll come back as unverified?

All comments are welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I’m confused. If you believe in the provenance, why did you pay for a quick opinion?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    I guess I’m confused. If you believe in the provenance, why did you pay for a quick opinion?

Because I was curious on PSA's authentication process, also I heard one story about a legitimate signature being denied so I was curious if those tales are few and far between :3

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2020 1:23PM

could be based solely off the quality of the signature?

kinda looks like he signed his name by slinging a brush freshly plunged into the paint can.

(i wanna say it looks more like a roomba ran over a dog turd, but don't wanna be mean. beauty is always in the eye of the beholder)

is it just a "likely" or "unlikely" situation w quick opinion? never done it,

• Options
    dtmodeldtmodel Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

I had a Gretzky quick opinion come back legitimate/good; sent card in for encapsulation and it failed...so it does happen

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Opinions are like...

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

I had a legit Mantle that didn't pass the PSA Quick Opinion...total downer when family member received in person. It happens!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about quick opinions, but Joe Calzaghe was a damn beast. He's the longest reigning super middle weight world champion in history, he held the WBO belt for over 10 years. He was an absolute genius in the ring, and he retired 46-0.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2020 5:17PM

opinions aren't necessarily factual. given the info they have, they render an opinion. forming a more conclusive opinion could require alot more work and looking at the item live, not just by a picture. as such, opinions may not always be definitive by nature and probably tend to err on the side of caution given the circumstances.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm.....Calzagnhes.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.