Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1714 Gold Cob

1714 Gold Cob .. First it is real Gold and it is for sale. What should I know before and if I pull the trigger? It does look cleaned but it just so nice .. can anyone add some information on this cob.. Thanks

Comments

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexico City mint. Bourbon shield. Hard to tell if it’s been cleaned.

• HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

What kind a value do you guys estimate the coin is worth ,, ?

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best way to determine value is to check recent auctions. I suggest Dan Sedwick's auctions.

• That's either had a very hard life as a jewelry piece OR (and this is more likely from the awful pics) it is a cast repro.

• HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I took your advice and sent a pic to Dan Sedwicks auctions. He was kind enough to get back to me about the cob. Story First: About 8 years ago a guy offered me the same cob. I took a look at it and checked the internet and found the exact same coin. It was identical to the one I held in my hand. I went back to him and said I found the exact same coin as yours's it was found on a shipwreck I said it was identical . He responded to me that it is that coin on the internet. I kind of believed him but I can say he did believe it. So a few days ago I get offered the same coin. The guy had passed away and the coin is for sale through another person . So 8 years later I have a chance to buy the coin.. Dam I always wanted a gold cob. BTW I found a silver cob while metal detecting along the shore of Lake Eire. Anyway I wanted this cob to be real. So I sent some pics to Dan he was kind enough to get back to me ... and yes it is a FAKE. :( not pleased but maybe I will find one before I buy one..

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 354 ✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 4:30PM

Listen... you can always BUY a gold cob (from, for example, Sedwick!!). I'm guessing you wanted this to be real... b/c it seemed like a bargain?? If you're going to bargain hunt , you'd better REALLY know what you're doing on pieces like these.

Actually was just running through my files and had pics of several "twins" to this piece... compare to this piece in question shown amongst them:

Just FYI... this is a cast of a 2 Escudos denom.: