Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is this a real Piece of Eight? Thanks for looking! RJ

Hi All-
Need help identifying for client....26 grams, didn't see it in the Sedgwick database as a copy or fake. Thoughts?
thanks for taking a look, and Best wishes for a happy healthy New Year! RJ

Comments

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 7:30AM

Looks OK, what’s the weight? Poor strike from uneven surfaces. So you see any assayer initials? Bourbon shield may help narrow the date. Not too much else to go on though.

• VernoVerno Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

26 grams, unfortunately i do not have in hand so this is all I can go on. Had an old receipt from 1982....

• I'm guessing the client is... yourself, considering this eBay item?? (which has listed/relisted for a month or so):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1715-Piece-of-8-Reale-Silver-Cob-Coin-Wreckage-Booklet-Receipt/224293393716

I've been on the fence about this one. Has a strange look to the surface, like it COULD be a cast (and that one semi-filled planchet crack is questionable)... but this may mostly be a consequence of odd lighting/photography. In the other photo shown, has a BIT more natural look (see below).

I believe I've seen pieces with this particular type of certificate before that have been legit.

• VernoVerno Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said:
    I'm guessing the client is... yourself, considering this eBay item?? (which has listed/relisted for a month or so):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1715-Piece-of-8-Reale-Silver-Cob-Coin-Wreckage-Booklet-Receipt/224293393716

I've been on the fence about this one. Has a strange look to the surface, like it COULD be a cast (and that one semi-filled planchet crack is questionable)... but this may mostly be a consequence of odd lighting/photography. In the other photo shown, has a BIT more natural look (see below).

Thanks, a guy called looking for one to make a necklace from...I told him to look on ebay...he said he'd pay me to find a decent one that was real. ICC Montpelier VT 1982 was invoice date...$195. THANKS! RJ