Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID coin/medal

Can anyone give me an idea of what I have here

Comments

• Options

Other then ruff translation of central railroad and maybe reincarnation of pirapo don’t have a clue of what this is thanks Greg.

• Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Obv: Ferrocarril Central Del Paraguay 1911 (Central Railway of Paraguay).
    Rev: Pirapo a Villa Encarnación (railroad section between Pirapo and Villa Encarnación).

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking medal. Like the placement of the cap and rays! Thanks Ivan for nailing it. Ho ho ho. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Thanks. Is it a medal or a train token. Any thoughts appreciate the help guys.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not recall seeing a Paraguayan medal before, other than the one banal specimen I have in my collection. This one is magnificent. Can you make out the medalist?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

@Tractor3 said:
    Thanks. Is it a medal or a train token. Any thoughts appreciate the help guys.

I think this is a commemorative medal dedicated to the construction of a railway line between Pirapo and Villa Encarnación.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lion and Liberty Cap is the national emblem of Paraguay.

Paraguay 300 Guaranies 1973 Stroessner
    Silver, 37 mm, 26.87 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2020 7:00AM

Very cool- exceptional design

edited to add- Welcome and thanks for sharing... regrettably I know nothing about this one...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Thanks guys. You are the best of the best. I will take a closer look with th 10x for maker marks.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything on the edge? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I couldn't find information about the medal designer, but after looking at the medals of Paraguay and Argentina from those years, I realized that it was a good design school.

But it was possible to find some historical background and mention of the medal in literature ("Los jinetes de la loma y otros relatos", 1999 by Cancio S. Giménez B.).

Google translate translation from Spanish:

"The Argentine Republic, through the Northeast Railroad in 1910, subscribes ordinary shares worth 220,000 British Pounds for the continuation of the railway line from the Pirapo River to its connection with Pacu-cua with the Argentine railway network and through the provision of a service by ferry, the Parana river crossing to the Argentine city of Posadas is achieved. These works were completed in 1911. The railroad stretches for 372 km. The company celebrates this event with the minting of a splendid medal, on the obverse it reads the inscription "Ferrocarril Central del Paraguay - 1911" and it bears the Paraguayan shield. On the reverse is stamped the legend of "Pirapo a Villa Encarnacion "and the allegory of a winged figure, which symbolizes communication..."