Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New Ebay Payments Can you still use Paypal?

mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2020 2:19PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I received an email about payments being done through ebay and not through paypal. Is this good? Seems to save 3% in fees.

PackManInNC

Comments

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay will eventually do away with Paypal. From what I have read, the new form of payments will go through eBay and the money will be deposited into your bank account on file. The deposits will take a couple days to go through. I believe the fees will be around 2.65% or so for now but we all know that they will be higher than Paypal fees soon after they get rid of Paypal

• The new payment format is costing more as eBay seems to be collecting a higher percentage then PayPal. You can request to transfer per transaction, weekly or monthly. But per transaction has taken several days to be deposited and is much slower then PayPal.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still holding out. lol

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    I'm still holding out. lol

There are three things certain in life: Death, Taxes and eBay managed payments.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2020 5:13AM

For me ebay managed payments is beyond a nightmare !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought I was all set and set to have money sent to my bank. For the first 3 weeks nobody could pay me due to a glitch. I eventually lost those sales.
    Now ebay sends me a "we ran into a problem" message every time I sell and ship a card. I have 3X checked my bank account numbers yet ebay after all the work to reenter bank info says we cannot verify bank info. I have sent them a bank statement with the ending numbers they have on file. No good. Every time I get to the end it says click to confirm.. Then every time it comes up we cannot verify band ending X885 and enter full account number. Nothing I ever add works and try to change a bank or card it will eventually say please enter full account number of X885. Absolutely nothing has worked on 7 weeks now. and $4K+ sales not into my account. Call and wait for a ebay rep and they say the can't go into my account and make or see changes. Only ebay managed payments people can so they transfer me. Well every time it gives me next available rep will be there so stay on the line. Many times it has been over a 2 1/2 hour wait. Yes and still no rep. Ebay says they have no direct line to managed payments.

I am paying for a store where I can''t add anythig as i can't get paid. Afraid to sell anything Store ends 2/2/2021 no matter what happens.

Can't change bank info or add a payment system, No help at all from the worthless service reps

Twice I have been over 2 1/2 hours waiting for ebay managed payments rep

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Jay, open up a free capital one 360 checking account, seems to work fine and I get my money. Although personally I hate managed payments

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

@tonylags said:
    Jay, open up a free capital one 360 checking account, seems to work fine and I get my money. Although personally I hate managed payments

So checking accounts with other banks wont work? Has to be capital one?

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited December 23, 2020 7:55AM

TY

However the last step in adding any payment or revision is ebay asking for full account number of X885 account I have. That number is my last checking account number I tried adding in the first place. I can't get past this part.
    I have added my account number, old account number, these numbers with routing number before like you would find on a check. From my phone, different computers
    Nothing works

I have a local credit union SEFCU
    and tried to add bank of America
    I ca get to BoA on ebay.s site and add info. Ebay recognized it and when I proceed to last step. Ebay says we can't verify so please add full act #

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • F%$# FeeBay.... uugghh. Blatant greed with no consideration for the sellers who make them their $.

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I will have to read the email again, but I thought I read that ebay would not be charging a fee.

PackManInNC
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

you will never get thru to ebay managed payment division. i have been trying for months to get several key answers.

the primary being is i have had 3 people within the last 6 months file disputes directly with their banks as soon as an item is delivered and claim they didn't get it. i ship fedex w signature confirmation. the first one was a $2k card. ebay forwarded his bank the tracking and proof of signature. 4 months later his bank sides with him. the money sucked out by ebay managed payments was returned to him. i'm out $2k and the card. absolutely nothing i can do. i've requested to get his bank information from ebay and they say they can't give it to me.

come jan 1. i'm done. there is zero seller protection. best part is i can't even get in contact w managed payments to get my $289 fvf credited.

you are playing w fire once you are in ebay managed payments. throw in covid and all the calls about and to complain about the program and you'll drive yourself crazy and wastes weeks of your time.

edited December 23, 2020 4:30PM

and this is what i find the funniest. so as soon as this pos opened his dispute, ebay sucks the money outta my account. so, right here where they say "don't worry, there's nothing you have to pay back. you're covered by ebays seller protection"!?!?

wtf would i have to payback? they took the money back months ago. sucked it right back outta my account back in september. guy got his money and my card. great protection, huh?

sent fedex overnight, guy signs for it. scammer wins. ebay winners (still not credited fvf fee).

• I am currently trying to use my Ebay Mastercard credit card to pay for a Ebay purchase and it will not let me. I just keep getting "Your payment did not go through" I have called the number on the back of card and I am told my card is fine. Ebay rep is no help. Anyone have an idea what my problem is?

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just chiming in on the change of eBay eliminating paypal: In their message to me, they mentioned I'd be saving the 3% paypal fee but they failed to mention they would increase their own fees by around 3% :-)

Daniel
  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

When does this take effect? I just sold a couple items on eBay in the last month and both payments were sent straight to PayPal. I've tried to do some reading on this but there doesn't seem to be a straightforward answer.

Andy

The fine print of ebay managed payments is all refunds requested for any reason are automatically
    starts the process with no say from seller. Example: buyer thinks willie Wonka is going to make the HOF so he buys the card. Wonka is not elected so he starts a return and then sends you a blank envelope. Can you imagine the problems. Your money is already gone. What if you buy a stock and the market goes down. No big deal just return the stock at full face value.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I’m not at all happy since the transition. Total fees have ticked up: eBay now charging me about 13.5 percent versus the previous 10 percent plus 2.9 percent PayPal fee. Plus funds aren’t available for 4-5 days, not instantly like before. So paying more for worse service.

Lose lose.

• 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭

Do we HAVE to accept this payment option? An email from Ebay said after Jan 1st I won't be able to sell without signing up.

@1966CUDA said:
    Do we HAVE to accept this payment option? An email from Ebay said after Jan 1st I won't be able to sell without signing up.

eventually, yes. they will ask and offer credits (still haven't got) until you are forced into it.>

@DEFPOTEC said:

I’m not at all happy since the transition. Total fees have ticked up: eBay now charging me about 13.5 percent versus the previous 10 percent plus 2.9 percent PayPal fee. Plus funds aren’t available for 4-5 days, not instantly like before. So paying more for worse service.

Lose lose.

13.5% on the TAXABLE figure too. so you sell something into cali whose tax rate is 10%, tack on an extra percent in fvf fee.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 12:24PM

@trapperlad said:
    I am currently trying to use my Ebay Mastercard credit card to pay for a Ebay purchase and it will not let me. I just keep getting "Your payment did not go through" I have called the number on the back of card and I am told my card is fine. Ebay rep is no help. Anyone have an idea what my problem is?

Maybe the seller has not setup his managed payment correctly so eBay is not allowing the sale to go thru.

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface

100% agree. The buyer files a chargeback/dispute with their financial institution and both eBay and PayPal are now out of the picture and the bank always sides with their customer (the buyer).

@sayheywyo said:
    @blurryface

100% agree. The buyer files a chargeback/dispute with their financial institution and both eBay and PayPal are now out of the picture and the bank always sides with their customer (the buyer).

i've had a similar instance w paypal in the past, and while the bank did decide w the customer, paypal did right by me and paid me. and this was on a $5k transaction prolly 3 years ago. i did have to file a police report though and fwd a copy to paypal to get paid. and this was after 3 months of his bank review, but still.

ebay managed payments and their "seller protection" basically told me to eff off and even kept their fee. can't even get to someone in managed payments on the phone.

edited December 24, 2020 5:17PM

@blurryface said:
    you will never get thru to ebay managed payment division. i have been trying for months to get several key answers.

the primary being is i have had 3 people within the last 6 months file disputes directly with their banks as soon as an item is delivered and claim they didn't get it. i ship fedex w signature confirmation. the first one was a $2k card. ebay forwarded his bank the tracking and proof of signature. 4 months later his bank sides with him. the money sucked out by ebay managed payments was returned to him. i'm out $2k and the card. absolutely nothing i can do. i've requested to get his bank information from ebay and they say they can't give it to me.

come jan 1. i'm done. there is zero seller protection. best part is i can't even get in contact w managed payments to get my $289 fvf credited.

you are playing w fire once you are in ebay managed payments. throw in covid and all the calls about and to complain about the program and you'll drive yourself crazy and wastes weeks of your time.

This is horrible news. Can you give out these 3 scamming buyers so we can block them?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

This latest mistake by Ebay feels more impactful than their usual bungling. I don't see much of a reason to sell directly any longer.

I'd love to believe that some enterprising young developer is out there and sees this as an opportunity. I'd be thrilled to support another platform that was purpose built for our hobby and corrected the mistakes Ebay made along the way.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 6:20PM

the majority of transactions go smooth but there’s a small % who take advantage

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Funny - I actually kind of like it (so far). I love that they take out the fees right away. I always hated getting the end-of-the-month bill that was much higher than expected.

I also like it going straight into my bank account. No more transferring stuff over from PayPal and waiting.

I don't understand the scams. Don't you insure what you send? Then if they claim they never got it, you just get your money from the carrier.

• mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I just ended all the items I had for sale. Until eBay get this straightened out I'm just not going to sell on eBay.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:
    Funny - I actually kind of like it (so far). I love that they take out the fees right away. I always hated getting the end-of-the-month bill that was much higher than expected.

I also like it going straight into my bank account. No more transferring stuff over from PayPal and waiting.

I don't understand the scams. Don't you insure what you send? Then if they claim they never got it, you just get your money from the carrier.

No, you won't, because the carrier delivered the item. The buyer (scammer) is a thief. Carriers only pay insurance claims if in fact the item is not delivered and/or signed for (lost).

Once ebay forces managed payments, I will just sell directly to buyers I know and trust or consign my items for sale.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@Copyboy1 said:

what's to claim when the courier did their job?

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Copyboy1 said:

No, you won't, because the carrier delivered the item. The buyer (scammer) is a thief. Carriers only pay insurance claims if in fact the item is not delivered and/or signed for (lost).

Once ebay forces managed payments, I will just sell directly to buyers I know and trust or consign my items for sale.

But if you have proof of delivery and/or a signature, then what's the problem? I guess they could still claim they didn't get it, but you'd have proof they did.

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1

Doesn't matter. The scam is to get the 3rd party involvement (buyers bank). Then eBay claims there is nothing that they can do. My sale in August was not a total loss as blurryface was. Buyer initiated a return of a PSA 10 card and did a chargeback with their credit card. I received a PSA 9 in the return, paid return postage, PayPal fees, chargeback fee and final value fee from the sale. I attempted to claim that the return item was not the same as the item sold. eBay replied, "case closed, contact buyer's financial institution for resolution". But, nobody provides information of buyers financial institution. So, he said/she said--- no "real proof". After a couple months eBay did credit my seller account $250.45 for final value fee. Have not sold since and if I do it will be cheap crap just to use it up.

@Copyboy1 said:

@grote15 said:

@Copyboy1 said:

But if you have proof of delivery and/or a signature, then what's the problem? I guess they could still claim they didn't get it, but you'd have proof they did.

you guessed right. proof WAS provided. customers bank is going to protect their customer and own interests 99.9% of the time. case closed, literally. eBay won’t even fwd the bank info to you. what aren’t you comprehending here?

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@Copyboy1 said:

you guessed right. proof WAS provided. customers bank is going to protect their customer and own interests 99.9% of the time. case closed, literally. eBay won’t even fwd the bank info to you. what aren’t you comprehending here?

I understand the bank’s actions, but why is eBay so willing to cave to an unreasonable request from the bank? I understand forcing sellers to accept returns no matter what, but when you are literally allowing your sellers to be robbed it doesn’t seem tenable.

@PaulMaul said:

@blurryface said:

@Copyboy1 said:

I understand the bank’s actions, but why is eBay so willing to cave to an unreasonable request from the bank? I understand forcing sellers to accept returns no matter what, but when you are literally allowing your sellers to be robbed it doesn’t seem tenable.

Good point. I think ebay should refund the seller in full if the seller is not at fault.

Ignore list -Basebal21

banking institutions>ebay>sellers

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious question. Let’s say I purchase a computer with my credit card, it is delivered to me with signature confirmation, and I claim not to have received it and initiate a charge back through my credit card company. Will Best Buy meekly accede to the credit card company’s wishes, or will they refuse to refund based on the signature evidence? Why should eBay be any different, except that they have less to lose because they can steal the money from the seller?

edited December 25, 2020 10:04AM

best buy is big box w a few factory direct suppliers. ebay is dependent upon millions of secondary and many times unscrupulous resellers.

with that being said, an order placed on best buy is most likely not going to be a scam. and just like there are many a buyers who scam, think about the number of scam listings run not just here in the states but all over the world thru ebay.

the millions of bad apple sellers auto taint it for the good ones.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:
    This latest mistake by Ebay feels more impactful than their usual bungling. I don't see much of a reason to sell directly any longer.

I'd love to believe that some enterprising young developer is out there and sees this as an opportunity. I'd be thrilled to support another platform that was purpose built for our hobby and corrected the mistakes Ebay made along the way.

I am in no way affiliated, but have had success selling and buying on Myslabs. very low fees and uses paypal

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I was skeptical of managed payments. I have to admit I have been pleasantly surprised. I like not being surprised at the end of the month with a huge bill. Payments to my bank show up within a day. The sales reports they provide are very helpful. No problems so far but I’m knocking on wood. 😊

• royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I wonder what portion of Ebay sales are sports market items. On the same theme, what are the biggest sectors for Ebay sales?

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001

Does this mean you cannot use Paypal anymore?

PackManInNC

to pay? yes. to get paid via an ebay sale? no.

Thanks, Blurryface

PackManInNC
  • tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    I was skeptical of managed payments. I have to admit I have been pleasantly surprised. I like not being surprised at the end of the month with a huge bill. Payments to my bank show up within a day. The sales reports they provide are very helpful. No problems so far but I’m knocking on wood. 😊

The only thing I don't like, is it hard to keep track of and know which items I was actually paid for

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@mbothner said:
    I just ended all the items I had for sale. Until eBay get this straightened out I'm just not going to sell on eBay.

Same here. If they wanted to help out their consignment partners, they sure have accomplished that.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

I have not yet encountered a seller who did not take accept Paypal for payment. Does that mean that all of those sellers have not yet been transitioned to managed payments?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited December 28, 2020 4:46PM

@grote15 said:

@blurryface said:

I have not yet encountered a seller who did not take accept Paypal for payment. Does that mean that all of those sellers have not yet been transitioned to managed payments?

you can still pay via paypal. those funds go thru paypal to ebay manged payments and dished out to seller via ebay managed payments. once you are in managed payments you can not request for your payouts to be paid thru paypal.

in about 3 years it won't matter. all sellers will be converted to managed payments and buyers will be forced to add a credit card/debit card for any and all payments.

• I haven't signed up and don't plan on it either. The hell with ebay. I'll just sell on myslabs.

@mrhighgrade said:
    I haven't signed up and don't plan on it either. The hell with ebay. I'll just sell on myslabs.

When I'm forced into buying and selling into managed payments, I too might switch over to myslabs.

Ignore list -Basebal21

I looked quickly

Is Myslabs thru facebook?

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets