Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico Libertads

Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
edited December 22, 2020 8:28AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Anyone collect these? I know premiums are high, but apparently mintages are going to be really low for 2020. (Thought I bookmarked the source but have to look for it again).
I normally can find older ones in the “misc” tray and pick up for about 1-2 over spot.

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Libertads", maybe? ;)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL.
    I don't think these are particularly low by Libertad standards but nice enough. Try the 1998 and 1999's for lower mintage, however they have gone high price wise.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

These can be bought directly from 'Casa de Moneda Mexico' - https://www.cmm.gob.mx/cmtienda/busqueda-resultados?category=3
    Do not know if the above url link end up being translated to English.

HTH.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    "Libertads", maybe? ;)

Oops...corrected it.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't see on the mint set where they were for sale...Impressive catalog with a crazy amount of stuff...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2020 11:46AM

^It is not that user friendly way to buy from La Casa De Moneda Mexico, there is a url link here:
    https://www.gob.mx/cmm/articulos/venta-en-linea-de-casa-de-moneda-de-mexico

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2020 4:27PM

There's a reason most people in Mexico buy these at coin conventions--because they are not easily available online from CMM.

For gringos, I would highly advise not trying to buy directly from CMM, but to buy from a distributor of the coins already imported into their home country. I've heard horror stories of authorized distributors having problems getting their coins imported. And they have done this before.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a dansco album that I have been working on filling. Been tough as it looks like the 2020s were just released.

• Options

I am in a border town, and have been in the past buying, but on a bank, if they have it, they can sell it to you, last time there was for someone without an account up to 3k amount that you could buy.

Also, the Libertad Silver Onzas, on the three banks that you can buy right now, are around $32USD each.

Looks like the OP it is looking for the gold Libertads, I guess.

Just fyi.

hth.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just the one:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@ELuis said:
    I am in a border town, and have been in the past buying, but on a bank, if they have it, they can sell it to you, last time there was for someone without an account up to 3k amount that you could buy.

Also, the Libertad Silver Onzas, on the three banks that you can buy right now, are around $32USD each.

Looks like the OP it is looking for the gold Libertads, I guess.

Just fyi.

hth.

No was looking at the silver. My options are online being located up north. I like the look of them just not sure with the premiums. Most online sites are sold out now especially the 2 oz. 1/2, 1 and 5 oz can be found.

• Options

Hi @Danno44

I have bought coins from this place, on a quick look, they have some avail of 1oz silver.
    https://www.apmex.com/category/24100/mexican-silver-libertad-coins-all/all?vt=g&f_productoz=1+oz&page=1

HTH.

• Options

About 20 years ago, when I was trying to assemble a Mexican twentieth-century set, I bought the sets of proof silver Libertads from Panda America. At that time, they were the sole distributors in the USA. You know these sets: 1/20, 1/10, 1/4, 1/2, and 1 Onza in proof in capsules and a cute package. Maybe I bought 7 or 8 different years, going back to 1991.

At the time, I thought they were ridiculously-priced (and silver was cheap). And Panda America was (to put it politely) so difficult to deal with. (Though not as difficult as the Coin and Currency Institute, who were sole distributors of the pre-Colombian proof series which I never did manage to obtain.)

Anyway, fast forward to today and those suckers are pretty darn expensive. It was worth the pain and suffering of obtaining them because I will probably triple or quadruple my cost.

So what I’m trying to say is, if you like these things, do the work to track them down and buy them. I don’t think you will regret it 20 years hence.

• Options

I asked a dealer friend to check the CMM store in Mexico City, but they don’t reopen until mid-January.

The 2020 proof half-ounce is $75 on eBay today BIN from an authorized distributor in Houston. Mintage is 2000. If you want one for your collection, BUY IT NOW.

Have you seen this?

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious, what would a typical mintage amount be?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexico Libertads one of most popular sellers for me both shows and online.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

love these - a big fan of the 5 oz bu, proof and other finishes [antiqued a couple years ago - waiting to get my hands on some 2020 proofs, have some 2020 bus already

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I asked a dealer friend to check the CMM store in Mexico City, but they don’t reopen until mid-January.

The 2020 proof half-ounce is $75 on eBay today BIN from an authorized distributor in Houston. Mintage is 2000. If you want one for your collection, BUY IT NOW.

Have you seen this?

All of Mexico City is closed until Mid January except for essential workers

Happy New Year and I hope to catch up with you on Mexico City sooner then later. I miss working there

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Dealing with a well known Mexico Libertad dealer who is taking orders in advance for 2020 issues and then returning some funds and not delivering some of the coins. Interestingly the same dealer sells 100+ of the same libertad denomination on eBay he claims he can’t fulfill on my order.
    Something is rotten in Denmark.

• Options

And it happens to be the denomination in the most demand—of course—-

• Options

And so it begins. 23 minutes into the new year.... :o

• Options

Well—it actually started before the old year ended......but posted a little late!!
    Not a cool move by the dealer. Might lose lots of customers over a few bucks