Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Id needed

Can anyone id this coin for me? I think the date is 1698 or 1598. The pics are rather large. The coin is bigger than a quarter but smaller than a half dollar. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bob

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see some clues, Fredericus and Saxonie, indicate German states. I'll bet the Google shall tell you more. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

German states aren't my specialty, but Saxony would be a good place to start. I think the date is 1498, using a script peculiar to early AD dated coins.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options

1498 Sachsen-Ernestinische Groschen. Looks clipped as the legends are not full.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

1498 Wow! Oldest coin that I ever seen with a date. Thanks for the info. I don't think it was clipped. Coins were hammered back in 1498 I believe. That is the was they come sometimes. A lot of coins from back then appear this way.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s one with full legends. Not mine.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Thanks Andy! Then it may have been shaved down. I don't know. I do not know what size it should be. This coin is between quarter and half dollar size. It is in a 2x2 made for a half dollar. Do you know how much it should weigh? Either way I did not pay much for it.

• Options

Should be about 4.3 grams according to Levinson. And he estimates less than 10 known, so a really good find.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    edited December 21, 2020 1:02AM

OMG!! Thanks much for researching it!! I had this laying around for years. It weighs 3.65 grams, but the accuracy of my cheap Chinese scale could be off. Do you think I should send it in to PCGS? Will they grade and authenticate this coin?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTG @rec78
    Can you remember how you came by it

• Options

@rec78 said:
    OMG!! Thanks much for researching it!! I had this laying around for years. It weighs 3.65 grams, but the accuracy of my cheap Chinese scale could be off. Do you think I should send it in to PCGS? Will they grade and authenticate this coin?

PM sent

Andy Lustig

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent as well.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sharks are circling! >:)