Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What do you collect & what requirements does it have to meet?

Just as the title suggests I wanted to start a discussion on different series and makes them desirable.

Is having luster good enough? Is any problem free coin worth adding? Is the series you collect so common that you have to find toners or early strike examples to justify their additions to your collection? Or maybe you just chase top pops.

I would love some insight into what makes a coin worthwhile to you.

I always find it interesting that in one series a problem free VF can be a catch and another series from the same time period in low MS isn't worth picking up.

Curious your thoughts!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

Comments

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

As a type set collector of world coins, there is always plenty of material available. I prefer my coins already in plastic, and have set the following minimum thresholds ... 65 and above for coins from 1800, 64 and above for coins from 1700 to 1799, and 63 and above for coins up to 1699. PCGS is preferred, but I will do NGC or early ANACS.

I do like coins with interesting features like die breaks and clashes, attractive toning, and strong strikes. Adjustment marks, undecipherable legends, and negative eye appeal are a big turn off.

Higher grade is always better, but I don't chase top pops. I want a good example of the type, but don't really care if a coin has a brother or a cousin that is nicer.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scarcity and Grade! always! and sometimes: how bad do I want it! ;)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid I had a thing for silver dollars though I had never seen one until I was like 12-13. Eventually that got me into "silver dollar sized coins" which I now call crown sized coins. Includes silver slightly larger than crowns such as Daalders, Talers 8Rs and Mexican coins.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't typically collect with the idea of finishing a series and I appreciate coins in various metals, grade ranges and appearances, so my answer might not be applicable to many folks here. Regardless, I attempt to incorporate coins, medals and tokens that have original (un-worked) surfaces and are visually cool and I don't worry so much about grade as long as it passes my criteria.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

My main focus German coins after 1871 by type and also full series of the types I like. I branch out to earlier German stuff and other world coins here and there for fun. I don't have broad quality criteria, but I usually set some guidelines for myself in specific sets or areas. Affordability has a huge impact on the quality criteria I set for myself. I generally go for flashy coins instead of frosty coins. I generally want lightly toned coins and will shy away from darkly toned or blast white coins.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are priorities followed by other series that I collect on the side. The coin has to have artist merit in terms of the design and should represent the times for which it was intended to circulate. Quality for the grade is important. The state of preservation must capture the essence and purpose of the coin.

There is no substitute for the knowledge and appreciation in connection with the frequency certain coins are offered for sale. And even then one must recognize quality and make an judgment as to whether sacrificing is the best alternative.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect modern issues from us, world mints & central banks - mostly silver issues, but some gold here and there; prob not the comments ur looking for, but wanted to contribute this pov

so far, have been interested in us, mexican, few canadian releases, several uk releases, the offerings of the royal dutch mint, czech, ukrainian, russian and other slavic country's silver issues, israeli silver - recently discovered latvian and hungarian issues, some chinese restrike and yuanbao ingots --- I really like exploring all world mints and central banks have to offer; been fun to hunt and peck amongst these offerings and build up a pretty sizable collection over the past few years

yearly issues I try to keep up w are us ASEs, mexican libertads, uk queens beasts, silver kruggerands, russian st georges, ukranian archangels, israeli doves, and dutch ducats as of this year

always looking for more national mints and central banks w interesting offerings - havent been able to find direct methods of purchasing many middle eastern issues if anyone can point the way on that [uae, egypt, etc]

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I don't typically collect with the idea of finishing a series and I appreciate coins in various metals, grade ranges and appearances, so my answer might not be applicable to many folks here. Regardless, I attempt to incorporate coins, medals and tokens that have original (un-worked) surfaces and are visually cool and I don't worry so much about grade as long as it passes my criteria.

I think un-worked surfaces is a good idea to start standing by. Seems that even if a coin is only lightly dipped it looses some of it's shimmer. I very early on was told to stay away from cleaned coins but I think it takes awhile to appreciate untreated coins as well.

@neildrobertson said:
    My main focus German coins after 1871 by type and also full series of the types I like. I branch out to earlier German stuff and other world coins here and there for fun. I don't have broad quality criteria, but I usually set some guidelines for myself in specific sets or areas. Affordability has a huge impact on the quality criteria I set for myself. I generally go for flashy coins instead of frosty coins. I generally want lightly toned coins and will shy away from darkly toned or blast white coins.

I really feel the comment on darkly toned coins. In particular it seems that trueviews do a good job of hiding how dark some coins can be. Been loving the proofs you've been picking up.

@coinkat said:
    There are priorities followed by other series that I collect on the side. The coin has to have artist merit in terms of the design and should represent the times for which it was intended to circulate. Quality for the grade is important. The state of preservation must capture the essence and purpose of the coin.

There is no substitute for the knowledge and appreciation in connection with the frequency certain coins are offered for sale. And even then one must recognize quality and make an judgment as to whether sacrificing is the best alternative.

You make this sound like hard work! haha. I do understand where you mention the frequency of coins offered for sale which I suppose could easily sum up my own collecting habits. If it's a common coin, when is its condition un-common.

@Abuelo said:
    I am not the right person to answer as I really do not collect by series per se. My interests are Mexico, Guatemala, and the Central American Republic. But as far as requirements, all needed is that I like it. If I like it, I'll buy it (assuming I have the funds). As I am somehow attracted to absolute rarities, for some of those coins as long as you see them, that is all is needed.

So you have a personal museum. Got cha.

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

In some instances, condition rarity applies a subjective standard and may not be worth the discussion. As an example- look at an 1881-s Morgan that grades MS68...Is it a condition rarity? Most would say yes even though there are literally thousands that grade 67. This part of the reason quality for the grade is paramount... pun intended...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    In some instances, condition rarity applies a subjective standard and may not be worth the discussion. As an example- look at an 1881-s Morgan that grades MS68...Is it a condition rarity? Most would say yes even though there are literally thousands that grade 67. This part of the reason quality for the grade is paramount... pun intended...

Very true I am just not used to having thousands to pick from. Spoiled US collectors ;)

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not know if what I do can be called ‘Collect’, I normally buy what looks good for me, no matter if they are raw or graded. After keeping the coins for a while, I simply end up selling them to buy again other coins, or for gold.

Have filled complete only two sets, the Lincoln Cents from 1909 to 1940, and the set of Centenario Family from 2 Pesos to 50 Pesos. But both are not with me anymore.

Lately started to grade coins, first to make sure they are original, an to know more at the sell price, mostly because in many of the sells I did on local dealers, sometimes noticed that end up getting way too low prices. So at least to have a better idea, and do not lose too much.