Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Impulse Purchase: Marcus Aurelius denarius

One goal for 2021 is to assemble an assortment emperors, starting with the more notable ones.

I'll probably do some research and pursue mostly gold, but on a whim, I bought this one (thanks to Heritage)

Higashiyama

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more notable ones may be too broad to keep straight. When I was a young collector, I tried to put together a coin of every emperor from Augustus to Constantine.
    Since you are starting with Marcus Aurelius, maybe concentrate on the other "Good Emperors." Together, you have Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha - thanks, that's good advice, although my "notables" list is probably shorter than others who have a deeper knowledge of Roman history than I do. I would want to add Augustus and Tiberius as well as Constantine. For the shorter term, I'll probably skip those who were notable for their degeneracy.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were doing Roman Emperors I don't think any collection would be complete without the one's I consider the most notable/famous depending on how you look at it. Julius Caesar and Nero!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collect whatever appeals to you and fits within your budget. The rare emperors get very expensive for high grade examples. Look for coins with exceptional quality portraits.

All glory is fleeting.