Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hoping for a nice Christmas present from my bank? PART 176. 3 Half Dollar boxes!

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

#183W

2019W War in the Pacific

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2023 11:22AM

Part 132

Pennies
    After the first roll....

After 18 Rolls...

Thus far, 10 Wheaties!
    None to any significance, though.
    :)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

After 35 rolls...
    10 more wheaties of NO significance! 20 total. Then,
    Only found these 2 interesting ones?
    BU 2009d Log Cabin

And a possible 1997p Doubled Ear?

15 more rolls to go.
    Thanks 😊

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2023 7:14AM

Good luck with those pennies. I searched about 100,000 pennies from the bank last year and did not find a single error coin, or anything of note, really, in all those pennies. I did find one IHC but I figured it had been planted by a collector at the FRB that rolls the pennies and then boxes them. It was an 1896 in good, $1 coin, maybe. I gave it to my grandson. I found that about 1/4 of the 100,000 pennies I searched were coppers and considered that they were worthy of saving until they become legal to melt and then I would cash in for 2x face value or more for them.

One day earlier this year I decided to inquire at the B&M shop I visit frequently about how much they would pay me for all the copper pennies I had found and saved. My copper pennies had about $250 face value. I was looking for maybe 1-1/2 cents apiece for them or $375 for the entire lot of them. 50% profit for my pennies was on the horizon. Or so I thought.

The offer by the shop for the pennies I had so diligently saved was for face value or $250. I had grown weary of accumulating the pennies and dealing with their increasing weight heft so I accepted the shop's offer of face value for my pennies. I found some coins in flips in their 1-1/2x1-1/2 boxes to buy with the money they gave me for my copper pennies. I left the shop relieved of almost 200 pounds of copper pennies, found some nice coins for my collection, and was left with a few bucks in my pocket from the cash sale. I consider that I came out on the deal smelling like a rose.

I don't search bank rolled $25 penny boxes anymore. I Would rather spend my time duffing my way around the golf course or at the lake fishing, catching nary a fish.

The end.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    edited April 24, 2023 7:52AM

@mr1931S said:
    Good luck with those pennies. I searched about 100,000 pennies from the bank last year and did not find a single error coin, or anything of note, really, in all those pennies. I did find one IHC but I figured it had been planted by a collector at the FRB that rolls the pennies and then boxes them. It was an 1896 in good, $1 coin, maybe. I gave it to my grandson. I found that about 1/4 of the 100,000 pennies I searched were coppers and considered that they were worthy of saving until they become legal to melt and then I would cash in for 2x face value or more for them.

One day earlier this year I decided to inquire at the B&M shop I visit frequently about how much they would pay me for all the copper pennies I had found and saved. My copper pennies had about $250 face value. I was looking for maybe 1-1/2 cents apiece for them or $375 for the entire lot of them. 50% profit for my pennies was on the horizon. Or so I thought.

The offer by the shop for the pennies I had so diligently saved was for face value or $250. I had grown weary of accumulating the pennies and dealing with their increasing weight heft so I accepted the shop's offer of face value for my pennies. I found some coins in flips in their 1-1/2x1-1/2 boxes to buy with the money they gave me for my copper pennies. I left the shop relieved of almost 200 pounds of copper pennies, found some nice coins for my collection, and was left with a few bucks in my pocket from the cash sale. I consider that I came out on the deal smelling like a rose.

I don't search bank rolled $25 penny boxes anymore. I Would rather spend my time duffing my way around the golf course or at the lake fishing, catching nary a fish.

The end.

Awesome story!
    You're not alone in saving the copper. Many collectors seem to do the same. I for one, don't. Lately, rumor has it. That copper will rise in value!

Thanks 😊

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Part 132

Pennies
    After the first roll....

After 18 Rolls...

Thus far, 10 Wheaties!

Good to see you having fun with the bank pennies. One thing I realized is how scarce some of those DD errors (as seen in the Redbook) must be. I thought for sure I would find at least one $25-30 coin out of 100,000 pennies. Nope. Didn't happen.

Wheat pennies, sure. I would find about 4 (mostly 'D' mintmarked pieces from the '40s & '50s) in every 20 rolls (1000 coins) I searched in 2022. Well under 1% of pennies currently circulating are wheaties was my finding. The oldest wheat I found was a beat up well-worn 1916, no mintmark. I found a couple 1958-D pennies that had gobs of mint luster. I thought it interesting that among the wheats found not a single 'S' mintmarked piece was found. Total of eight rolls of wheats found in 100,000 pennies searched and not a single 'S'! Are you kidding me, bank box penny roll fairy?!

Of course, a search of a mere 100,000 pennies is just a tiny, tiny fraction of all pennies ever made. Maybe I would have eventually found something worthy of my efforts, something like a 1972 or 1995 DDO had I kept the search going.

The good news is that I learned things from my penny roll searching but, more importantly, my eyes thank me every day for giving up on searching for treasure in penny boxes from the bank.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    edited April 24, 2023 8:54AM

@mr1931S said:

@joeykoins said:

Part 132

Pennies
    After the first roll....

After 18 Rolls...

Thus far, 10 Wheaties!

Good to see you having fun with the bank pennies. One thing I realized is how scarce some of those DD errors (as seen in the Redbook) must be. I thought for sure I would find at least one $25-30 coin out of 100,000 pennies. Nope. Didn't happen.

Wheat pennies, sure. I would find about 4 (mostly 'D' mintmarked pieces from the '40s & '50s) in every 20 rolls (1000 coins) I searched in 2022. Well under 1% of pennies currently circulating are wheaties was my finding. The oldest wheat I found was a beat up well-worn 1916, no mintmark. I found a couple 1958-D pennies that had gobs of mint luster. I thought it interesting that among the wheats found not a single 'S' mintmarked piece was found. Total of eight rolls of wheats found in 100,000 pennies searched and not a single 'S'! Are you kidding me, bank box penny roll fairy?!

Of course, a search of a mere 100,000 pennies is just a tiny, tiny fraction of all pennies ever made. Maybe I would have eventually found something worthy of my efforts, something like a 1972 or 1995 DDO had I kept the search going.

The good news is that I learned things from my penny roll searching but, more importantly, my eyes thank me every day for giving up on searching for treasure in penny boxes from the bank.

Yes, you're right about the "S" mint wheat.
    Very rarely found. However, I did come across a 1910s. Very worn to where the s, was hardly seen. The very first post, The box was amazing! 186 wheats found. In which, the 1910s came from. Plus, 2 1909 vdb's.
    Thanks
    😊

• Options

My best penny finds were in days long gone by. I found a 1914-S in a roll from the bank in the early '60's. Also, a 1922-D. In the 1980's, I found a 1909-S wheat in the you-pick-for-10 cents-apiece jar at a coin shop in Denver. The '09-S (a nice VF) for a dime to me would be my best penny find ever.

• Options

@mr1931S said:
    My best penny finds were in days long gone by. I found a 1914-S in a roll from the bank in the early '60's. Also, a 1922-D. In the 1980's, I found a 1909-S wheat in the you-pick-for-10 cents-apiece jar at a coin shop in Denver. The '09-S (a nice VF) for a dime to me would be my best penny find ever.

Wow! Now those are great finds, dude.
    Congratulations.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

#183W

2019W War in the Pacific

Still out there but working hard and looking a bit beat up.

• Options

Here's Another...

#184W

2020W Weir Farm V75

• Options
    edited April 25, 2023 11:44PM

#Part 132

Completed
    End up with 35 Wheaties!

Oldest- 1918p

Nothing of significance

One possible 1997p
    Doubled Ear
    Not a bad box. Better than most.
    Enjoyable 😉
    Thanks

• Options

Part 133

Let's GO...

• Options

Part 134

Pennies still active!

• Options
    edited May 12, 2023 8:25AM

Part 134

Completed!

Back to my Cents.

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 295 ✭✭✭

My bank will take orders for boxes of every denomination EXCEPT halves :(

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options

Part 135

Quarters baby!
    Let's GO...

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a productive box, Joey!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited May 15, 2023 10:31AM

Part 136

Quarters, once again!

Staying Persistent!
    :D
    Let's GO...

• Options
    edited May 15, 2023 8:23PM

After 30 rolls...

#187W

2020W Weir Farm V75

&

#188W

2020W Rockefeller V75

In very good condition too!

• Options
    edited May 16, 2023 8:36AM

Part 136

Completed!
    Thanks
    😉

• Options

Part 137

Quarters, Quarters, Quarters!

Let's GO...

• Options
    edited May 28, 2023 11:21PM

Part 137

Completed!
    Only Find

2019p DDO Memorial

• Options

# Part 138

Silver baby!

• Options

Only after 7 rolls!

2- Babies!

Both, 1943p's!

B)

• Options

Part 138

Last find.

I tossed back.
    Completed!

• Options
    edited June 12, 2023 8:04PM

Part 139

QUARTERS!
    :D Great Start

In the FIRST ROLL!

SILVER BABY!

• Options

After the 7th Roll...

Beautiful Die Cud

...😜

• Options

After 20 Rolls...

Strike Through

Then...

#202W

2020W Tallgrass Prairie

30 more rolls.
    HOT!

• Options

Part 139
    Completed!
    2 Last Finds
    Color

Then...

#203W 2019 Lowell

Great Bank Box!
    Thanks 😊

• Options

Part 140

QUARTERS AGAIN!

• Options

NADA so far, after 20 rolls.
    :/

• Options

Part 140

Results...

Oh well.
    Thanks 😊

• Options

Part 141

QUARTERS BABY!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go get em buddy.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Go get em buddy.

You're too kind, dude!
    Thanks
    <3

• Options
    edited June 29, 2023 12:48AM

Well guys, after just 26 rolls.
    No Silver, No W, No Variety and No Key Coin either, But...
    Here is a true find!

FINALLY

Warning: Many Pictures!

2002p Louisiana Error Coin

First, the Obverse!

Now, the REAL Winning Shots, The Reverse!

When at first glance at the obverse, it did appear to be a "vice job". But, when I Flipped it over to it's Reverse!
    BAM!
    What do you guys think it is?
    Double Struck? The obverse looks as it was almost "Clipped". With that circular line?
    An Amazing find. I can't believe it!
    My best find since my, "Burning Airplane".
    Thanks 😊

• Options

😳👍🏼🤠

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2023 6:48AM

@joeykoins said:

Double Struck?

I'm not an expert. My first thought was yes, double struck outside the mint with a sledgehammer.

Don't make me re-post this on the "The OFFICIAL COIN ROLL HUNTING FINDS THREAD" 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting finds for face - how many hours a week do you spend looking?

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a vise job Joey
    Can you explain how Americ on the rev is backwards?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    edited June 29, 2023 10:49AM

@gumby1234 said:

Can't explain?
    Just like I can't explain the "YT" in the Pelican. Why not beyond the Pelican's body?
    Or, the letters below, "Dollar" on the obverse rim?
    :*
    I'm thinking, maybe the coin got stuck on the hammer die, than struck another coin?
    I don't know, not a real expert in this category.
    Thanks
    Warning: Long Video,
    from a conversation with an expert!
    https://youtu.be/Tzf29WvlZ78

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@gumby1234 said:

Can't explain?
    Just like I can't explain the "YT" in the Pelican. Why not beyond the Pelican's body?
    Or, the letters below, "Dollar" on the obverse rim?
    :*
    I'm thinking, maybe the coin got stuck on the hammer die, than struck another coin?
    I don't know, not a real expert in this category.
    Thanks

They are the obverse inverted impression of a (likely) America the Beautiful quarter. The YT comes from LIBERTY, the other word is QUARTER.

I concur with the vice job assessment.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Alright, thanks guys

• Options

Box Completed!

• Options

Part 142

How 'bout some S-I-L-V-E-R?

• Options

When I’m making errors with my leather strap and anvil y hammer the reversing of the lettering is one result. Sorry buddy. Although not my work. I’ll check with the cats but they will probably side eye me. They blamed the dog but he’s not having it.
    Thanks 🙏

• Options
    edited June 30, 2023 6:46PM

@joeykoins said:

Part 142

How 'bout some S-I-L-V-E-R?

In the 1st Roll!
    "W" BABY!

#204W

49 Rolls, to go...

• Options

Nice W. Alas I’ve never found one in the wild

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file