Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hoping for a nice Christmas present from my bank? PART 175. 2 Half Dollar boxes!

Comments

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome gift from your bank!! Congrats! :D

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great box!

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

WOW!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 1:07AM

Box finished! Now to go through the 6 Wheat Enders.
    Wheat total thus Far: 92
    No Keys :)
    Also, I put aside all 1983 p and d's / 1982 Small dates To weigh for Copper Approx. 25 so far

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Recent Wheats
    1926 and a super rough and very worn POSSIBLE 1914d? Lol

???????

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a 14 no d

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    looks like a 14 no d

Lol. Ok, thanks. :)

• Options

Thanks guy's for all the posts!

MERRY CHRISTMAS :)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job @joeykoins !

Roll searching is the purest form of collecting. If you enjoy the time you spend with the coins, you'll never lose a cent.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

PART 2:
    Ok guy's, here we go again. Hoping my bank stays in the giving mood? Lol. New box, hoping same results or even better? Fingers crossed. I'm on a (roll), pun intended. Maybe, the 1992 awaits me? Lol :)

• Options

Any Wheaties peeking through?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

You know what? This time, it may be a bad sign? Not one wheat ender. We shall see. :*

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today, I gave all my coin change to a local merchant who could not get coins a the bank.

I wish you roll hunters would give it a break for a month or two.

There, I said it. And I couldn't care less about what is found. Wheat cents? Meh......

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@Cameonut
    OUCH! Lay off the eggnog, brother. Im sure Joey is not hoarding all his rejects from the local mom and pops. He will be performing his civic duty to return small change to the proper authorities.
    AFTER he pulls a 1992 close AM, that is.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@DCW I get it, but I stand by my comments. Eggnog? I think not!!
    To me the roll hunters occupy the same low status as toilet paper hoarders.

There, I said that too.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options

Wait...people still pay for things in cash?? :D
    Maybe its time for merchant storecards and tokens to make a comeback. I would love that.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@Cameonut said:
    Today, I gave all my coin change to a local merchant who could not get coins a the bank.

I wish you roll hunters would give it a break for a month or two.

There, I said it. And I couldn't care less about what is found. Wheat cents? Meh......

You already said this before. :)

• Options

Merry Christmas everyone!
    I hope some of you will consider the difficulties that some of your fellow humans are dealing with during the pandemic in 2021.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    PART 2:
    Ok guy's, here we go again. Hoping my bank stays in the giving mood? Lol. New box, hoping same results or even better? Fingers crossed. I'm on a (roll), pun intended. Maybe, the 1992 awaits me? Lol :)

Joey! where is this First Numismatic Bank of Santa Clause? Can I join long distance? Wow, you sure get great treatment. Congrats and great luck on your search for the elusive 92 close AM. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:

Congrats and great luck on your search for the elusive 92 close AM. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

Jim

Lol. Thank You, my friend. Merry Christmas :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Merry Christmas everyone!
    I hope some of you will consider the difficulties that some of your fellow humans are dealing with during the pandemic in 2021.

I'm on the nice list. I regularly dump albums into the local Coin Star.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2020 11:21AM

The start.
    After 4 rolls. Only two wheaties thus far. Quite different than the last box. One coin of interest found. The 2009p ddr. Rough looking coin but the 043 dd of the vast 100+.

Wexler's

• Options

I still have a hard time believing these "extra fingers" are true doubled dies. I mean, the doubling doesn't even look like what it is supposed to be. Why are these doubled dies?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

The "Double ear" 1997?

• Options

Strange find?
    I know this coin is damaged. No value and even hard to look at. Lol. The strange part is this is the second one I found in the two past boxes I went through? Same bank.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the hunt continues. Good Luck!

2009 double dies... I have a few of those mint sealed boxes of rolls that are supposed to have high probabilities for double die cents. Never did get around to studying and searching them. Maybe one of these days... as Ricko would say... ;)

• Options

A beaute.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Strange find?
    I know this coin is damaged. No value and even hard to look at. Lol. The strange part is this is the second one I found in the two past boxes I went through? Same bank.

That's not damaged.. That a very valuble and rare ebay/etsy/offerup "error" ;)
    -Cali

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@Jimnight said:
    Nice!
    I ask my bank if they would order me one box of cents .. can't do :'(

Sorry, that's a shame. Your bank is playing scrooge. Ever think of opening a separate account with an entire different bank?
    Resulting in two accounts. ;)

How much does it cost a bank to order sortage coins?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

My banks lobby has been closed since COVID-19 hit. Have to do all of your banking at the drive through window. Are all banks doing this?

• Options

@mtnman said:
    My banks lobby has been closed since COVID-19 hit. Have to do all of your banking at the drive through window. Are all banks doing this?

My bank's lobby is closed also. Only the Drive-Thru is open, as well. Here's what I did. I pulled in the lane closest to the building, where they have a huge window box. So, I thought then to ask if they could give me a bank box of pennies. They said sure but come around to the entrance and we'll meet you at the door. Lol. :)

• Options
    edited December 25, 2020 1:56AM

Here are the latest finds.

Die chip

Color galore

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

i enjoy your roll hunts. keep going!

• Options
    edited December 25, 2020 10:54AM

Listen to this one. Lol. I found this 1982 Small Date. It does weigh 3.1. Now, here is the big question. Where the "D" is suppose to be, there is some sort of debris in that area. Can not tell if there is a MM or not? I soaked it in acetone overnight. No real improvement. I was thinking ? The debris or substance is only in that MM area. So maybe, they were playing with it?
    You can almost see a "D"? I do realize the MM wouldn't be positioned in that area. Here, you guys judge;

The rest of the coin doesn't have this

debris on it, it looks fine and sharp.
    Can I try to soak in lacquer thinner?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Listen to this one. Lol. I found this 1982 Small Date. It does weigh 3.1. Now, here is the big question. Where the "D" is suppose to be, there is some sort of debris in that area. Can not tell if there is a MM or not? I soaked it in acetone overnight. No real improvement. I was thinking ? The debris or substance is only in that MM area. So maybe, they were playing with it?
    You can almost see a "D"? I do realize the MM wouldn't be positioned in that area. Here, you guys judge;

The rest of the coin doesn't have this

debris on it, it looks fine and sharp.
    Can I try to soak in lacquer thinner?

The 1997 is not the double ear.
    And I have never seen a 1982-D with the mintmark placed that far left, so I wouldn't waste any further effort on it.
    Not that it couldn't be but.....it couldn't be.
    Just my opinion.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2020 8:14AM

Yeah, this box is turning out to be the opposite of my previous box. Hardly, no wheats as before. The total after 40 rolls 6. There are some interesting ones however. Here is a BU 1960. Possibly, a DDO/DDR? What do you guy's think? Thanks

• Options

Nope, that's it guys. Not so good of a box this time. Only a total of 10 wheats. Compared to the 183 in the last box. Also, no real varieties. That 1982 small date, turned out to be a Philadelphia. Pretty beat up anyway. Only a handful of some interesting ones. Oh well, can't be lucky everytime, right. The hunt for that elusive 1992 continues on. Lol. Found this nice 2012. Like the appearance and tone. Until the next box... Thanks guy's ;)

• Options
    edited December 31, 2020 2:01PM

Part 3

Here we GO! #3. Third time's the charm? Lol. I was worried if they were circulated or not? I checked! We're good to go.

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Yeah, this box is turning out to be the opposite of my previous box. Hardly, no wheats as before. The total after 40 rolls 6. There are some interesting ones however. Here is a BU 1960. Possibly, a DDO/DDR? What do you guy's think? Thanks

Definitely a DDR.
    Nice.

• Options

@joeykoins
    Anything on FG or UNITED?

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    @joeykoins
    Anything on FG or UNITED?

No doubling on either. Thanks ;)

• Options

Concerning box #3. No wheat enders. After 12 rolls= Only 2 Wheats. :/

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@ShaunBC5 said:
    Anything in particular you’re searching for this time, or is it anything and everything?
    Best of luck!

Still tracking the fugitive, 1992p or d Close AM Cent. :)

Do you use a microscope? if so, which?

• Options
    edited December 29, 2020 10:09AM

@Joe_360 said:

Price range. $15-$25
    Magnification. Anywhere from 500× to 1600x

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@Joe_360 said:

Price range. $15-$25
    Magnification. Anywhere from 500× to 1600x

Thank you, can you include make and model number please? Do you like it? Thanks again, Joe

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

Thank you, can you include make and model number please? Do you like it? Thanks again, Joe

Yes, I like It! Have a spare just in case it dies. Lol Amazon has it. Search through Amazon. ;)

• Options

Still have to search 30 rolls of the cent box. However, I did pick up today 120 chances for the "W". My last hurrah for 2020. It would be fantastic to finish the year with a BANG! Lol. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file