Home Sports Talk
Options

Who has the biggest arm in the NFL?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't realize that during Monday night's Browns vs Ravens game, Baker Mayfield threw the longest distance ever recorded in an NFL game when he threw a hail mary attempt for over 70 yards.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that throw the other night. i rewound it and checked a few times right afterwards and it was a heave for sure. of all the current QBs, Josh allen has got to have the strongest arm. not just for distance, but for velocity. the guy can chuck it.

i remember of jeff george having about the strongest arm i remember. elway and marino had cannons too. bledsoe and moon could also throw a long ways

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to Madden21 (I Googled) Josh Allen does.

Makes me miss the old NFL QB challenge shows. The winner usually threw about 70 or so yards.

There is evidence of some current QBs, both video and anecdotal, throwing pretty much the length of the field.

Based on what I know, correct me if I'm wrong, someone like Mahomes has a baseball background and mentality to his football mechanics, and this would include a lot of long toss and outfield to home throwing. Think about right to left outfield, corner to corner, it's usually 450 ft or so.

https://youtu.be/OTlw2yUt8xA is this 100?

https://youtu.be/hZdpR93uggw 80 yards

At the end of the day, it is a combination of distance and touch and accuracy and whatever else, not just distance.

Joe Flacco is considered to have a huge arm, and successfully used that to get PI calls on deep throws on a regular basis.

Maybe the Chiefs should work up a play with great pass protection that lets Patrick air it out 80 yards? I have a feeling we will be seeing more of this, because these young guns like to show off a bit and don't want Baker getting all the glory. 😂😂

I'll leave you with this......
    I'm impressed with the GOAT still being able to put a lot of air underneath the ball.

https://youtu.be/g1mqr4G87TY

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

last year at age 42, tom brady was clocked at 61 mph. Mahomes tops out at 62. the goat has a somewhat underrated arm. he could heave the ball 70 plus yards in his prime.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    last year at age 42, tom brady was clocked at 61 mph. Mahomes tops out at 62. the goat has a somewhat underrated arm. he could heave the ball 70 plus yards in his prime.

Definitely. And to be honest, the deep ball wasn't even his specialty. Like Larry Legend, who for most of his life didn't practice the three.

• Options

Drew Brees had a pretty decent arm at one time.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I've always thought that Ndamukong Suh's arms looked massive.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2020 5:21AM

Whenever I think about hail mary passes, I can't help but remember the famous Hail Flutie. He had a pretty good arm himself.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

before last night's game I was talking with a friend, we both seem to be amazed with Josh Allen. he'll be a premier QB in time, he moves so well and throws such a nice pass. during the conversation, my friend who is a Steelers fan actually brought up Baker Mayfield and how nicely he seems to throw. watching that game on Monday I was really surprised by the throw. it looked like 75-80 yards at the time, just ridiculous.

I will say this, the current QB's may not challenge for the best, win multiple Super Bowls or play into their 40's, but their are some fine players in the game today. up and down the NFL it seems like many are ready to step up when Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Rivers, etc. decide to retire. as long as these guys all stay healthy we might be in store for some great, great duels in the next 5-10 years. B)

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Whenever I think about hail mary passes, I can't help but remember the famous Hail Flutie. He had a pretty good arm himself.

I think I recently said this on another thread, but that is one my earliest College football memories, probably one of my first great sports memories. Living a half hour south of Boston, it was a big game. I could hear the cheers and screams coming from next door at my Grandparent's house. I have a vague memory of my older cousin calling me on the phone and asking if I had seen it. I was eight. We talked abut that game and that Hail Mary for a long time. Look at me still talking about it today. Flutie is an absolute legend.

• Options

@thisistheshow, Yes, now I remember you mentioned that story. That must have been awesome being in that environment when that actually happened. Doug Flutie is definitely a legend.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2020 10:12AM

The ugliest hail mary I've ever seen came from Jay Cutler when he played for Miami. It would have been perfect, if the Chargers cheerleaders were his wide receivers!

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    The ugliest hail mary I've ever seen came from Jay Cutler when he played for Miami. It would have been perfect, if the Chargers cheerleaders were his wide receivers!

That ball HAD to slip out of his hand. I never liked Cutler but he had a strong arm. How embarrassing!

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@doubledragon said:

That ball HAD to slip out of his hand. I never liked Cutler but he had a strong arm. How embarrassing!

I never really liked Cutler either, I always thought he had kind of an arrogant and nasty attitude.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2020 11:08AM

I remember watching this touchdown from Mahomes to Hill.

• Options

We need a thread on Hail Mary's that were almost caught.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Don't tempt me, you know I have nothing else to do!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

that Mahomes to Hill throw is sort of unique. all too often when you read stats or hear about "bombs" it equates to a QB throwing the ball 10 yards and the receiver running for 60 yards. with this play, Mahomes actually threw the ball 70 yards and was credited with a 70 yard TD.

that play should be the definitive Long Pass pass.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

It actually is a good idea. If any of you are like me, I am sometimes surprised and impressed when they show the close up replay. What looked like an uncatchable ball has sometimes actually landed right in someone's bread basket. Sometimes the receiver looks as though they don't expect the catch to actually happen and they aren't prepared for it. All different scenarios.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2020 3:55PM

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

It actually is a good idea. If any of you are like me, I am sometimes surprised and impressed when they show the close up replay. What looked like an uncatchable ball has sometimes actually landed right in someone's bread basket. Sometimes the receiver looks as though they don't expect the catch to actually happen and they aren't prepared for it. All different scenarios.

This Andy Dalton hail mary was tipped twice and went right to A.J. Green. Insane.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

70 yards for an NFL quarterback is probably average in terms of long distance. Heck, when I was coaching high school football, we had a long distance contest and had a freshman throw a ball 65 yards.