Home Sports Talk

Cannon Ball Dick Redding

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cannon Ball Dick threw 30 no-hitters while playing for a variety of teams in the Negro Leagues. An amazing SEVEN no-hit games in 1912 alone! He will now finally get the recognition he has always deserved as the all time leader no hit games pitched. About time!

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of the guy. I think these guys should get more revisited history but again I don’t think they should combine their stats with MLB

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never heard of him either. Wish I still hadn't.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2020 3:49PM

The way the OP started the thread, I thought he was really a big fan. And I thought my ketchup thread was weird.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Negro League players matter, as do the women who played baseball during WWII.

Honor them in the Hall Of Fame on equal footing with everyone else.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

Honor them in the Hall Of Fame on equal footing with everyone else.

There are actually several Negro League players already inducted into Cooperstown. I don't have any problem with this fact. What I am opposed to is "rewriting" history simply because we wish it had been so. They didn't play MLB. Changing things to make things "right" now does not change that. Saying they did is actually insulting to those who appreciate history...both the good and the bad parts. The Negro Leagues existed and MLB discriminated against blacks simply for the color of their skin. Should we change the name "Negro League" since it is offensive to many now? Never mind that was what it was actually called. Times have changed and will continue to do so but history should not.

@SanctionII said:

SanctionII, your reference to WWII got me to thinking. I have an old photo album that my uncle put together during the war. He was a Marine in the 4th Division. Anyway, there is a picture he took of a baseball game being played on some Pacific Island. The players were all Marines in the 4th. So I'm thinking, many major league players left the game during the war and signed up. Like Ted Williams. So if Teddy Ballgame hit a homer in a game he played in during his time in the service, I don't see any reason that it shouldn't be added to his MLB stats. A home run is a home run. What difference does it make if it was hit in Fenway Park or on Iwo Jima?

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cannon Ball Dick Redding

Now this is a nickname.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rewriting history is widespread throughout society today.

Not a good thing IMO, for many reasons. However larger numbers of people are in favor of doing this, so why not do the same in sports?

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Rewriting history is widespread throughout society today.

Not a good thing IMO, for many reasons. However larger numbers of people are in favor of doing this, so why not do the same in sports?

I agree. And I will be the first one to say that there are innumerous examples of people, organizations, what have you, getting creative with their historical narratives for the sake of controlling future impression. That's perhaps a weird way of saying that what is accepted as fact isn't always true. But what you are referring to here @SanctionII is different. I agree. But it is easy to miss it. Someone might think that , for example, statues are being torn down as protest towards people. But in actuality it's in protest against the entire USA and it's system of formative tenets. I had been offline for a few days and saw the news here about the NL records, etc. And I was shocked to see the way MLB is handling it. Meaning to say MLB says..... yes these ballplayers were in an an equal league , but then look for every way possible to not include most of their stats. I'm not saying I want the record books rewritten, but it seems like MLB is talking out both sides of their mouth.

edited December 18, 2020 2:39AM

Interesting.

@thisistheshow said:
    Cannon Ball Dick Redding

Now this is a nickname.

I thought so too. Worthy of HOF induction on name alone.