Home Sports Talk
Options

New single season batting average record is .568

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pop Lloyd now has the record. MLB is elevating the Negro League to MLB status and will be integrating stats. lots of records will most likely fall. unfortunate as NL quality of play was significantly lower than MLB.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I don't agree with this decision either. Like it or not, they were two distinct leagues. It simply isn't apples to apples.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a smart move at all. Next they will include Japan baseball stats into it. The NL players got screwed absolutely but they were not all at the MLB level

• Options

But whatever MLB can do to destroy themselves I’m ok with.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they should also include Little League stats. It's just not fair to those kids.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just getting quite silly out there.

What about the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League...and in today's climate, i'm not even kidding.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2020 1:13PM

I saw that they were being elevated to major league status yesterday and don't have any issues with that, arguably long overdue. Trying to merge stats for records is silly, though.

• Options

So i guess this means that Josh Gibson is now the new MLB home run king.

Or is it Sadaharu Oh?

I'm beginning to lose track. 🤔

• Options
    edited December 17, 2020 3:31PM

Will the inverse also apply? That is, will Nolan Ryan be the all-time strikeout leader for the Negro Leagues? It just doesn't make sense. It wasn't fair and many NL players certainly got screwed but they were different leagues. The guy was likely a great hitter, but I personally don't think anyone could hit .568 in MLB. Plus, didn't the Negro League play a much shorter schedule annually?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked at a couple of articles covering this, and it appears as though they won't be re-writing the record books all that quickly. For example, they are saying that Gibson only has around 200 HRs based on their ongoing and fluid calculations -which they are using to separate things like official games from barnstorming.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

does this really rise to the level anyone should care ? 70 year old baseball records changing?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    does this really rise to the level anyone should care ? 70 year old baseball records changing?

It sure does. Those old records do mean something to a lot of people. Look at how wound up people have gotten over the years when the HR record has changed.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    Will the inverse also apply? That is, will Nolan Ryan be the all-time strikeout leader for the Negro Leagues? It just doesn't make sense. It wasn't fair and many NL players certainly got screwed but they were different leagues. The guy was likely a great hitter, but I personally don't think anyone could hit .568 in MLB. Plus, didn't the Negro League play a much shorter schedule annually?

My thoughts exactly.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

They still play baseball? Another league dead to me.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

It certainly seems this is the first step down the slippery slope to making Ichiro the hit king.

• Options

You know what sucks is there are a lot of old people that really cherish MLB, more so than any other sport I think and to see how ridiculous the game and all the other things that has gone on with it is too bad, I’m not talking about political related things either, I’m talking about the ridiculous money and players jumping from team to team, PEDS, cheating ect.. ect.. it’s a shame what has become to the “Great American Pastime”

• Options

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-is-finally-recognizing-negro-leagues-stats-but-josh-gibson-wont-become-baseballs-official-home-run-king/amp/

I haven't done a deep dive into this. All of the mainstream news articles look like they got their info from the same place. It sounds like they are doing it without really doing it. Because there have been some good questions raised in this thread, so I imagine MLB has heard all of the possible question and considered the extrapolations. It sounds like they want to say that the NL was in no way a lesser than league, but also make sure that the old records still stay intact. I'm sure there will be more information and opinions forthwith. 😬

• Options
    edited December 17, 2020 8:47PM

@perkdog said:
    You know what sucks is there are a lot of old people that really cherish MLB, more so than any other sport I think and to see how ridiculous the game and all the other things that has gone on with it is too bad, I’m not talking about political related things either, I’m talking about the ridiculous money and players jumping from team to team, PEDS, cheating ect.. ect.. it’s a shame what has become to the “Great American Pastime”

My Dad died when I was pretty young.
    Not too long after I got married, my mother met a man and married. She was about sixty. He was a few years older. Great guy. Both still doing well at 80 and 83 or so. He loves sports like us, a lot, but baseball is his passion. Coached little league. President or whatever of a little league until a few years ago, setting everything up. Watches all 162. This is the first year in about fifteen that they aren't spending the winter in Florida. They go to a few Red Sox spring training games every year. You get the point. I'm going to ask him about this when I have a chance. Love getting his opinions on this type of question.

Edit to add: There was a reason it's called America's Pastime. You are right when you say there are a lot of people who really cherish it.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious as to the outfield dimensions the NL played in. Were they comparable to the ML dimensions? Deeper from home plate or shallower? The NL numbers may have been skewed if they differed quite a bit from MLB.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this makes me think about the way some girls/women/ insist on playing with the boys/men. it's just not a fair fight. I don't think anyone would argue the point that MLB and America screwed those players back in the day, but the level of competition wasn't equal. recognize the records of the Negro League but please don't merge the into one.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    this makes me think about the way some girls/women/ insist on playing with the boys/men. it's just not a fair fight. I don't think anyone would argue the point that MLB and America screwed those players back in the day, but the level of competition wasn't equal. recognize the records of the Negro League but please don't merge the into one.

We're going to have to merge the Woman's Baseball in as well.

All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL) was a professional women's baseball league founded by Philip K. Wrigley which existed from 1943 to 1954.

I hadn't realized the league lasted that long.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

good point joe. will also have to add the cuban league, mexican league, japanese league and korean league to the roster.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    good point joe. will also have to add the cuban league, mexican league, japanese league and korean league to the roster.

Well, that's a possibility, but the Women should certainly be next.

You might not be aware, but I had a couple of stellar years playing slow pitch softball. Thinking I might be in the HOF someday alongside Harmon Killebrew!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

You might not be aware, but I had a couple of stellar years playing slow pitch softball. Thinking I might be in the HOF someday alongside Harmon Killebrew!

I had over 50 HR’s one year, played about 30 games in our beer league slow pitch softball with red dots and a composite bat. The fence was 280 and I used to CRUSH the ball!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

I had over 50 HR’s one year, played about 30 games in our beer league slow pitch softball with red dots and a composite bat. The fence was 280 and I used to CRUSH the ball!

280 is a NICE poke!

SWEET! I couldn't hit anything but "warning track" fly balls, so I became a guy who was on base all the time. My manager told me I was "the best lead-off batter in the league"! Those were some FUN times.

Would have loved having someone like you batting behind me!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

280 is a NICE poke!

SWEET! I couldn't hit anything but "warning track" fly balls, so I became a guy who was on base all the time. My manager told me I was "the best lead-off batter in the league"! Those were some FUN times.

Would have loved having someone like you batting behind me!

Hahaha it was so much fun. Not sure if your familiar with Red Dots/Blue Dots and Composite Bats or not but really it helped get some serious flight on the ball, the softballs were as hard as baseballs, before composite came out I’d literally get not even a season out of the Aluminum Bats due to denting. The Composite were actually stronger but eventually they would crack. Good Times! 👍👍🍻

• Options

all right you two. all this talk about softball is cute and all, but when it came to a real sport, like wiffle ball, I may have been the best there ever was... my brother and I played thousands of innings of wiffle ball growing up and i must have struck him out at least 10000 times. forget Nolan and Satchel, I am going to say right here and now I was the greatest strikeout pitcher to ever live.

I think Perk, Joe and I all deserve our own wings in Cooperstown. Im getting on the phone right now.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    all right you two. all this talk about softball is cute and all, but when it came to a real sport, like wiffle ball, I may have been the best there ever was... my brother and I played thousands of innings of wiffle ball growing up and i must have struck him out at least 10000 times. forget Nolan and Satchel, I am going to say right here and now I was the greatest strikeout pitcher to ever live.

I think Perk, Joe and I all deserve our own wings in Cooperstown. Im getting on the phone right now.

Absolutely we need to introduce Wiffle Ball into the conversation! I was so so I used to love taping the bat!!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Absolutely we need to introduce Wiffle Ball into the conversation! I was so so I used to love taping the bat!!

We all loved that game! So fun. I've watched some of the recent videos on Youtube of "pro" wiffle ball tourneys, etc. Some of it is UNREAL. Amazing pitching and hitting. Great memories.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2020 10:49AM

I still remember playing little league ball. There were always pitchers that you dreaded facing because they could really throw hard. I remember this kid with glasses would just fire the ball so hard, you could feel a draft of wind when it went by you. I never could hit him. It was just swing away, and hope you make contact. He could really throw that ball hard.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2020 10:58AM

I miss my little league days, the smell of the grass on the field, the dirt on my uniform, the feeling of excitement because you knew you were going up to bat that inning, the dirty jokes in the dugout. That's why I like that movie "The Sandlot" so much, because it reminds me of my youth baseball days.

• Options

I just hope that the perfect 1.000 on-base percentage record of the great Eddie Gaedel still stands.

• Options

I remember little league as well, I remember being so disappointed I didn’t make the traveling team. 11-12 years old and I didn’t make the cut but everything was ok 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember getting a ticket after the game for the concession stand and buying pixie sticks or whatever it was that was colored / flavored sugar.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they can do like www.hockey-reference.com does for the WHA:

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

.568 LOL

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball-reference has Gibson's stats ( https://baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=gibson002jos ) from the NL and while they're certainly good the NL seasons were just too short to meaningfully compare them to MLB seasons. I also thought Gibson hit a whole lot more HR than he actually did (about 1 per 18 AB). He does have a couple eye-popping batting averages, but my guess is Ted Williams averages would have been even higher if he had been facing NL pitching in NL ballparks.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.