Home Sports Talk
Options

Red Sox ramblings

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

JBJ appears to be headed to the Phillies at some point.
Dave Dombrowski also to the Phillies as GM
Red Sox not interested in renewing relations with Jon Lester.
Red Sox are cutting ties with their single A team the Lowell Spinners - my hometown.
Pedroia, who has only played 9 games since forever ago, yet raking in a king's ransom is in his last year of a huge money deal.
Manny Ramirez is now playing for the Sydney Blue Sox. They seem to love him, antics and all.

I still can't believe they re-signed Cora as manager.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m absolutely disgusted with Pedroia continuing to steal money from the Sox. If he had any integrity he would have retired and called it a career, if he is that greedy he could have lobbied for a job within the organization. I can’t stand him now and actually never really did like him after he developed his attitude.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not liked Pedroia for quite some time now. He started out as a hard nosed grinder. then he started to read his own press clippings and the whole shtick became forced.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭

Pedroia is getting what the Sox agreed to and is not going to take a dime less. I am still looking forward to the season for at least a few innings a day this year. How many innings each day depends on how they do. I still love baseball and always will I guess. Not much else to do when you are in your 80's.

• Options

Cora paid his dues, I think they realized they might not find another solid manager for next season. I often wonder if Varitek is interested or capable of being a good manager at some point

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Pedroia is getting what the Sox agreed to and is not going to take a dime less. I am still looking forward to the season for at least a few innings a day this year. How many innings each day depends on how they do. I still love baseball and always will I guess. Not much else to do when you are in your 80's.

Pedroia has been paid $18m in 2018, where he played NINE GAMES. He was paid $15m in 2019 for sitting and watching. He was paid $13m in 2020. for emulating his 2019 showing. He is going to be paid $12m in 2021. So, Pedroia will have been paid a M-I-N-D N-U-M-B-I-N-G FIFTY SIX....YUP, F-I-F-T-Y S-I-X MILLLLLION for playing a paltry 9 games!!! That comes to a stunning $6,222,222.22 per game.

The Red Sox are fools for making such deals. Like the El Sapo Grande bozo at 3rd base Sandoval. Losing Betts, losing Lester, losing Jeff Bagwell....the list goes on and on, yet they seem to love pouring money on losers. Lester for Cespedes???
    I am rapidly losing interest in the game and the Red Sox, and I've been a fan a long, LONG LONG time...like the 50s.

There is so much more to do with life than baseball, and I'm gonna get as much as I can while I'm relatively healthy.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Red Sox are cutting ties with their single A team the Lowell Spinners - my hometown.
    Pedroia, who has only played 9 games since forever ago, yet raking in a king's ransom is in his last year of a huge money deal.
    Manny Ramirez is now playing for the Sydney Blue Sox. They seem to love him, antics and all.

@MCMLVTopps Is Lowell your home town as in birth or current residence? I was born in Lowell, moved to the South Shore when I was six. My father's family had been there for a few generations ( French-Canadians). A lot of family still there and close.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@MCMLVTopps Is Lowell your home town as in birth or current residence? I was born in Lowell, moved to the South Shore when I was six. My father's family had been there for a few generations ( French-Canadians). A lot of family still there and close.

I was born in Lowell, I now live in Greensboro, GA, mid-way between Atlanta and Augusta, GA, known locally as lake country. Have lived in GA most of my life. Went to Lowell High. After graduation, I worked at the IRS in Lawrence, then enlisted in the Army at the age of 18. Of course my parents were still there, we lived up on Christian Hill, off Bridge St and I visited as often as I could. I have often wondered how my life would have been so different had I stayed with the IRS in Lawrence (now in Andover) and made a career of it. I did return for a short while after my first 3 years in the Army...I was out for 80 + days then renlisted. I ended up spending 10 years in the Army, then I became an Air Traffic Controller...was able to roll all my Federal Government time into a nice pension. I now live in a retirement community and enjoy a very comfortable life.

I have a brother who lives in Loudon, NH, just about 5 miles south of the NH Speedway. Hoping to get up there and visit within the next year. Crazy as it may sound, I miss the snow! I DON'T miss shoveling, God knows I've done my share, but I do miss the magic of a good snowfall, especially the day after, when everything is covered in white and the sky is so blue. I hated it when the melting got going and everything got dirty and slushy. Walking to school was no fun, especially walking over the bridge over the Merrimack river, nasty cold. Lowell kinda went downhill over the years...things that were once really cool, just disappeared, not the city I grew up in.

Are you still on the South Shore?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

as stupid as many recent decisions have been, I will continue to follow the sox. while i have enjoyed all the championships of recent years, the red sox have been miserable for most of my life with a few good seasons sprinkled in.

it will take more than pedroia collecting a check for nearly nothing for me to forget the sox.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    as stupid as many recent decisions have been, I will continue to follow the sox. while i have enjoyed all the championships of recent years, the red sox have been miserable for most of my life with a few good seasons sprinkled in.

it will take more than pedroia collecting a check for nearly nothing for me to forget the sox.

I’m always going to be a Sox fan, but since 2011 I have not been emotionally involved. 2011 with the huge lead they lost late in the year and being fat slobs in the clubhouse while Peedy & Tito were ignoring it all over cribbage just annoyed me big time.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@thisistheshow said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

I was born in Lowell, I now live in Greensboro, GA, mid-way between Atlanta and Augusta, GA, known locally as lake country. Have lived in GA most of my life. Went to Lowell High. After graduation, I worked at the IRS in Lawrence, then enlisted in the Army at the age of 18. Of course my parents were still there, we lived up on Christian Hill, off Bridge St and I visited as often as I could. I have often wondered how my life would have been so different had I stayed with the IRS in Lawrence (now in Andover) and made a career of it. I did return for a short while after my first 3 years in the Army...I was out for 80 + days then renlisted. I ended up spending 10 years in the Army, then I became an Air Traffic Controller...was able to roll all my Federal Government time into a nice pension. I now live in a retirement community and enjoy a very comfortable life.

I have a brother who lives in Loudon, NH, just about 5 miles south of the NH Speedway. Hoping to get up there and visit within the next year. Crazy as it may sound, I miss the snow! I DON'T miss shoveling, God knows I've done my share, but I do miss the magic of a good snowfall, especially the day after, when everything is covered in white and the sky is so blue. I hated it when the melting got going and everything got dirty and slushy. Walking to school was no fun, especially walking over the bridge over the Merrimack river, nasty cold. Lowell kinda went downhill over the years...things that were once really cool, just disappeared, not the city I grew up in.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@thisistheshow said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

My father's side of the family is from Lowell. On my Mother's side, they were from Cambridge, but moved to the South Shore in the 1950s. When my Dad died in 1981, my three sisters - much older than me- were now out of the house, all three having graduated HS in Lowell I believe. My Mom and I moved to be close to her family on the South Shore. I lived there until college age and then early twenties before leaving. That side of the family is still in that area. I moved to New York CIty in 1999, met my wife, had my first of three kids, and moved to Texas in 2006.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Cora paid his dues, I think they realized they might not find another solid manager for next season. I often wonder if Varitek is interested or capable of being a good manager at some point

My initial reaction to them bring back Cora was disappointment. Perhaps I was surprised, but if so I guess I wasn't paying attention.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭

I ave either listed to the Sox or watched them from the late 40's to now so will continue to do so from far away Albuquerque until I draw my last breath. If anybody's still capable of getting out and do other things take advantage of it while you can because before you know it you will not be ale to. I took full advantage of it until I was in my late 70's but am not able to get around much anymore.