Home U.S. Coin Forum

NGC Photo Certification, the slab "orphan" never talked about.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking through some stuff I had squirrelled away and I came across two NGC Photo Certs from about 2003-4, a style of "slab" that I don't find in any searches about slab generations. I suppose some might argue that it wasn't a slab but it is identical in format to what ANACS and other services did prior to encapsulating the item in a plastic holder. They were sort of a stop-gap measure for NGC with Medals/Exonumia which were too large to fit into the then available slabs, the two that I have being 57mm and 76mm.

What NGC did was grade and photograph items submitted and then produce a card which resembles what a PCGS TrueView looks like. The obv/rev images were centered a little high with the NGC logo in the top-middle and an actual insert with all the pertinent information at the bottom-middle. On the reverse of the card is another separate card with the NGC guarantee/address and the two are joined by a silver seal similar to what's on the back of earlier NGC slabs. The entire thing is then laminated in plastic like a drivers license. Submitted items were returned in flips. I have since placed mine in custom holders but both NGC and PCGS now have capsules that will accommodate almost anything.

They are searchable in the NGC database, here is a link( https://ngccoin.com/certlookup/2137661-001/65/ ) to one.

My apologies if these have been discussed before but I have never seen them mentioned or listed anywhere. I don't currently have a picture, perhaps if someone else has images they can post them.

Al H.

Comments

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to apologize.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds similar to what PCGS didfor their Photo Cert. An early Libertas Americana medal I've run across was done like that.

Do you have any photos?

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

as mentioned in the thread, no pictures yet.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one with a world coin currently offered on ebay.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

@keets Did NGC ever use this type service for U.S. Coins? I have searched using several different terms and all I have found were either Medals or Roman coins. At least they plasticoated them, as ANACS did not, that I know of. I have had many of the ANACS over the years and none were ever plasticoated.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Did NGC ever use this type service for U.S. Coins?

as I mentioned in the OP, this was for items which were too large to fit into a standard slab, usually around 40-45mm is tops. if the cut-off. a standard Dollar is 38mm. Round Pan- Pacs at a little over 43mm(not sure on the Octagon) are the largest U.S. coins I'm aware of and both types can be placed in a standard holder.

edited December 17, 2020 4:52AM

to the above coin "cert" you posted, it doesn't resemble what I described very closely and would easily have fit into a standard slab. also, it is very recent, probably the last several years, so it might be some kind of seller mock-up. do you have a link for it??

--- I found the auction and apparently it is a photo cert, though it's hard to understand why??

• Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

Cool info! I have a couple of the ANACS Photo Certs, but didn't even know that NGC did similar.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

edited December 17, 2020 8:56AM

@keets That's the reason why I asked, as all of the ones I found both on the internet and ebay were of the small Roman coins. The only Medal I knew of was yours, at least I could not find one searching under NGC Photo Certificate. I found this blog that says NGC started Photo Certification from NGC Ancients 6 years ago for all ancient coins not fitting in a slab and is a very large certificate measuring 195mm x 120mm. Here is a photo of such a certificate. How old are your cerificates? Is there perchance a date on them? Thanks for bringing this up as it is something I do not think too many knew of. I think this blog was written in 2015.
    Jim

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

The TPG’s are missing out on a market for photo certificates, IMHO.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Or an even bigger market... Making trading cards. Wouldn’t it be cool to collect all the greats and chew some crappy bubble gum at the same time?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Here's one with a world coin currently offered on ebay.
    Jim

That is the first such photo certificate I have seen. I especially like that it is for a Balbinus denarius, whose reign as emperor only lasted for three months.

All glory is fleeting.

measuring 195mm x 120mm

that's close to the size of mine, the difference probably due to the laminating plastic. mine dates to about 2003 and there's an off chance that I still have the submission paperwork.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an older thread that briefly mentioned the NGC photo certificates (but wasn't really about them):

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/991478/does-pcgs-offer-photo-certificates-like-ngc

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    to the above coin "cert" you posted, it doesn't resemble what I described very closely and would easily have fit into a standard slab. also, it is very recent, probably the last several years, so it might be some kind of seller mock-up. do you have a link for it??

--- I found the auction and apparently it is a photo cert, though it's hard to understand why??

Some ancients are very fragile and placing the coin in a slab and then sealing through sonication risks fracturing the coin. The alternative is a photo certificate.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@CaptHenway said:

Or an even bigger market... Making trading cards. Wouldn’t it be cool to collect all the greats and chew some crappy bubble gum at the same time?

Can we forgo the pack searching and gum chewing and just buy a boxed set?

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@TurtleCat said:

@CaptHenway said:

Can we forgo the pack searching and gum chewing and just buy a boxed set?

Sure! And then send them in to be certified! That would be an awesome double dip for a company. Issue cards for sale then slab the best!

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    measuring 195mm x 120mm

that's close to the size of mine; the difference probably due to the laminating plastic. Mine dates to about 2003, and there's an off chance that I still have the submission paperwork.

Please find that submission paperwork. It would be interesting to see how this was requested.

it wasn't requested. medals were submitted normally to NGC because their website stated that they graded them, they just didn't say that they weren't encapsulated. I was a little disappointed and surprised when they returned home.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file