Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GAI Autograph Reputation- Big Names- Mantle Mays

Curious what folks think on this item. I'm not sure GAI's reputation for autograph authentication. I know Mantle and Mays were churned through forgery mills for a lot of years

Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the general consensus is that the early GAI stuff (at least when it came to grading) was accurate, however the later stuff was iffy. you could always try PSA's quick opinion option, but I think that needs to be an active auction on a vetted site to do so.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

You just never know with these autos, unless you get them in person.

The guys like Mantle had a clubhouse signer who could "sign my autograph better than I could".

GAI has had problems, as pointed out and former PSA autograph guy Steve Grad, despite heavily implying that he'd been educated at the prestigious Columbia School of Journalism, further research determined that Grad had briefly attended Columbia College Chicago in 1993, but never actually graduated. In fact, during a court-ordered deposition, he revealed he'd received no formal training of any kind to back up his "expert" label. He instead credits much of what he knows to being mentored by the "King of Memorabilia" Bill Mastro—a man who landed in prison after being busted for various acts of fraud.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set