Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Top Error Coin Collector Pedigrees!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cert number is just above the reverse sticker:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1880-s-1-morgan-dollar-struck-40-off-center-ms63-pcgs/a/1344-3834.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

@FredWeinberg said:
    I don’t have the link to the true view of that 1880 off-center Morgan dollar heritage sold last summer.

At the February Long Beach show last month the collector who bought the coin from the Heritage auction, came up to me to say how much he loved the coin and how surprised he was that it went for under $100,000 – it was great to talk to a Collector who appreciated it For his collection

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:
    Last night I bought a top error coin that Mike found. Double pedigree.

I also bought back a coin that I used to own that I bought from Jon originally. Jon to me to a collector to auction and back to me :)

I also bought one of Jon's coins last night. Missed out on a few others, but I caught the biggest fish I was after.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    Frank Leone for 2 cent pieces.

He also did Mercury dimes as I bought many pre 1930's dates from him when he broke up his collection.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are talking about bust errors you have to include three of the pillars of the bust community, all in the JRCS HOF.

Stewart Witham
    Russell Logan
    Henry Hilgard

Most major bust errors can’t rave their provenance through these collections. Many of the best were owned by all three!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 1:43AM

@BustDMs said:
    If you are talking about bust errors you have to include three of the pillars of the bust community, all in the JRCS HOF.

Stewart Witham
    Russell Logan
    Henry Hilgard

Most major bust errors can’t rave their provenance through these collections. Many of the best were owned by all three!

Great info! Here's one from Heritage:

Provenance:
    1. Stewart Witham, 4/1992
    3. Russell J. Logan Collection (Bowers and Merena, 11/2002), lot 2586, realized $1,152
    1. Hamilton (Heritage, 9/2016), lot 4058, realized $1,880

Ref: https://coins.ha.com/itm/bust-half-dollars/half-dollars/1829-50c-small-letters-o-105-r1-struck-5-off-center-fine-15-ngc-pcgs-39784-/a/1239-4058.s

This one also has a nice pedigree chain:

1. Russell J. Logan (Bowers and Merena, 11/2002), lot 2011
    2. Fred Weinberg (1/2003)
    3. Ed Price Collection (Heritage, 7/2008), lot 1447, realized $910

Ref: https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-dimes/dimes/1807-10c-double-struck-vg-details-improperly-cleaned-ncs-pcgs-4480-/a/1114-1447.s

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

I think we forgot Herb.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file