Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

General Douglas Macarthur WWII Philippines

FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭
edited December 13, 2020 6:46PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Almost 80 years ago, General Douglas Macarthur lead U.S. armed forces back to the Philippines to retake the islands from the Japanese, setting the scene for the end of WWII in the Pacific. Almost 40 years later, the Franklin Mint struck a silver coin to commemorate the occasion and the General's 100th year birth anniversary. 40 years after that, I acquired this coin from a well known numismatist of Philippine coinage and medals. And the circle of life goes on ...

Comments

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about this one?

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take the over....LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1947 San Francisco Mint struck issue was a low point in quality for that mint. I've never seen a well struck example.

Thankfully, the 1980 Franklin Mint issue was very well struck as was typical of all their coin and medal issues.

All glory is fleeting.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2020 1:49PM

A set that passed through my hands recently. I'm not usually a fan of this type of material. But these pieces were exceptional in execution and had serious presence. Medallic Arts matching set #16.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

@Weiss I've seen those medals for sale, but have never owned them. They are spectacular!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet a lot of the silver examples have gone into the melting pot in the 48 years since they were struck. There probably aren't a lot of sets still left in that condition, let alone in the original holder.

All glory is fleeting.

Box looked like it had never even been opened. Easy to second guess yourself after a sale. It's not even close to what I focus on--what would I do with them? But they were 10x better in person than the images show.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Just came across this medal. What's AE stand for? Thanks!

(1970) AE FRANKLIN MINT MACARTHUR MEMORIAL JAPAN SURRENDER 25th ANN

AE is an abbreviation for bronze (or brass).
    AR or AG = silver
    AV or AU = gold

--Severian the Lame