Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Isle of Man 1 Penny Elizabeth II (3rd portrait) - Environmental Damage?

DuncanWylieWilsonDuncanWylieWilson Posts: 98 ✭✭
edited December 11, 2020 2:01PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hello all!

Picked this Isle of Man penny up recently and was wondering what has caused this deep red colouring. Paid almost nothing for it, so don't mind if it is environmental damage or even intentional manipulation by use of paint or some type of metal stain. Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Duncan.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's very difficult to say what was the exact cause, but I would call it environmental damage, not toning. Heat could have contributed somehow. This is not something that would occur during normal handling/circulation. I generally think of toning as a thin surface layer on the surfaces, not a heavier build up that's around the letters and bird of your coin.

If you like it, by all means, keep it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just remember that other collectors may be confused and disagree if you refer to it as being toned

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is more damage from the environment than it is toning. That coin spent quite a bit of time in a very bad place!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    I think it's very difficult to say what was the exact cause, but I would call it environmental damage, not toning. Heat could have contributed somehow. This is not something that would occur during normal handling/circulation. I generally think of toning as a thin surface layer on the surfaces, not a heavier build up that's around the letters and bird of your coin.

If you like it, by all means, keep it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just remember that other collectors may be confused and disagree if you refer to it as being toned

@291fifth said:
    It is more damage from the environment than it is toning. That coin spent quite a bit of time in a very bad place!

Gentlemen, I stand corrected. I have a lot of genuinely toned coins and I knew this was different. I just didn't know how to phrase this thread.

Thank you for the knowledge though. It's very bizarrely coloured. I actually thought that somebody had painted or stained it in some way, and it would make sense that the colouring is more dominant on the reverse given that it is a nice little design. The obverse is an absolute disaster, haha. I will keep it, but it deserves to be separate from my toned coins on the basis that there is nothing really all that natural here.

I will keep it given that it didn't cost me much, and I'm glad I asked here.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad, a somewhat scarcer year as well....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.