Home PSA Set Registry Forum

(OC) vs. (MC) qualifier..

Curious to know how much each qualifier lowers a grade. For example is a PSA 9(OC) equal to a straight PSA 6 and a PSA 9(MC) equal to a straight PSA 5? -thx

Comments

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Usually qualifiers bring a card down by two grades a PSA 9 o/c will be actually be a PSA 7 in regards to population reports,i have sent cards in that are most likely a PSA 7s but with a heavy wax stain at the back of the card they they came back PSA 5,if a card was a PSA 6 before a qualifier and labelled miscut or any other qualifier it would come back PSA 4,as an example i have a PSA 9 o/c card and by looking at the population report i can tell that it was lowered by two grades.

• cuda440cuda440 Posts: 150 ✭✭

so is a (MC) typically 2 full grades lower than an OC? Seems as though it can be very subjective and varies depending on who is doing the grading or if a grader is in a bad mood or having a lousy day..

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

No, all qualifiers drop a card two grades—MC would be the same as an OC. The value of a card will obviously depend on the card's eye appeal (i.e., a card that's OC in both directions might sell for less than a sharp card that's miscut).

• okay thanks for the info..

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2020 10:41AM

As mentioned above, any qualifier drops a card two grades for registry purposes (except at the low end of PSA 3s and below, a PSA 3 with a qualifier counts as a 2 for example). This does not mean the card could be submitted and automatically get a straight grade two grades lower.

An MC should never get a straight grade, it's one qualifier that cannot be avoided. A 9(OC) could be within centering specs for a 6 or could be near the edge of MC with 99/1 centering in at least one direction and may only qualify for a 2 or 3 for a straight grade.

On the flip side, there used to be some here who would buy 9(ST) 1986 Fleer BkB stickers, carefully wipe off the wax on the front, and resubmit for straight 9s or 10s.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Detailed registry rules for qualifiers ...

Bonus Points and Deductions

Some sets may have bonus points assigned to certain items within a set.

Additionally, the following point deductions are taken for Qualifiers. For example, if your card or ticket is graded PSA 9Q, the grade calculation in the Registry will be 7.

9Q = -2
    8Q = -2
    7Q = -2
    6Q = -2
    5Q = -2
    4Q = -2
    3Q = -1
    2Q = -1
    1Q & 1.5Q = no deduction

The calculation for bonuses or deductions is as follows:
    (Grade + Bonus) x Weight
    (Grade – Deduction) x Weight

Qualifier population statistics listed in the Registry take the deductions into account. So, for example, if your item is graded 4MK, it is calculated with the PSA 2 populations.

Source: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/rules

• cuda440cuda440 Posts: 150 ✭✭

I always had the understanding that an (OC) qualifier counted higher than a (MC). But perhaps it depends a lot on who the player is i.e. a star player versus a common. Therefore If it's a star player card with a (MC) qualifier it wouldn't be frowned upon all that much provided that it's otherwise a very clean card with sharp corners and no marks.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cuda440 said:
    I always had the understanding that an (OC) qualifier counted higher than a (MC). But perhaps it depends a lot on who the player is i.e. a star player versus a common. Therefore If it's a star player card with a (MC) qualifier it wouldn't be frowned upon all that much provided that it's otherwise a very clean card with sharp corners and no marks.

I would think you would get more money for an OC card than a MC, after all, an OC might just be slightly more than what's accepted for the grade and might not have bad "eye appeal".

A MC card is usually way off center.

As far as the registry goes, they have to assign penalties that make sense. Imagine if they had to adjust for different levels of "offcenteredness".

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

It depends where the "miscut" occurs. Some cards that are miscut on the back present very well. See back right edge...

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen anything like that!

Thanks for posting.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set