Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Louis Dickerson Hudson (1942-2014) - Collector, Dealer and ANA Authenticator

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 10, 2020 1:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Did anyone here know Louis of Louis Hudson Rare Coins in Greensboro, North Carolina?

From E-Sylum:

Alan Luedeking wrote:

Louis got his start in numismatics while working for an American tobacco company in Argentina in the 1960s. There he became fluent in Spanish and began to make contacts throughout South America. He handled many of the greatest rarities in Latin American coins and paper money known today, and helped to build significant collections such as the Amon Carter collection.
[...]
Louis Hudson is one of the foremost authorities in Spanish colonial coinage. He was a fixture at coin shows and important auctions around the world. His knowledge and influence were evident in countless publications and numismatic collections, perhaps the most important of which was that of the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic, which he single-handedly appraised in 2002 for over 50 million dollars by today's standards. Louis was assisted in the last years of his career in the numismatic business by his daughter, Stephanie who today continues Louis' legacy.

The following is from The Greensboro News & Record:

Jack Scism wrote on Nov 5, 1995:

He may be the foremost expert in the country on old coins and scrip from Latin America. The American Numismatic Association has designated him as an 'authenticator' for such coins and he is a contributing author to numismatic books sold to dealers and collectors.

Among other things, he had a fascinating Panama Collection of items struck by the Franklin Mint.

Here's some info I found on him:

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew him well from the years when I was collecting Honduras.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2020 1:15AM

@CaptHenway said:
    I knew him well from the years when I was collecting Honduras.

Nice. Do you still have your Honduras Collection?

I have 3 pieces from his Panama Collection and have been wanting to create a small guide for those and related pieces.

They are mentioned as supporters of Coins-of-Panama.Com by David S. Plowman.

The Hudson family (Louis, Cora and Stephanie) allowed me permission to use their many scans of rare Panama pieces.

http://www.coins-of-panama.com/thanks.html

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Sole off long ago.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file