Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help identify cards

Can anyone help identify these cards? I think they may have been from the MLB HOF store
from 25-30 years.

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 7:25PM

There are two of them on ebay, with price stickers from Toys R Us and JC Penney. Neither auction has any real information about them though.

The same company also did an identical set of Yogi Berra cards, and another one of the "12 All Time Greatest Giants"

Steve

• Options
    edited December 8, 2020 7:35PM

I think this one might be the key:

I found this set listed in the Standard Catalog of BB Cards, as a TCMA issue from 1980. So, the Spahn and Berra sets are probably/possibly also TCMA issues.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/djMAAOSwY8BbkFwh/s-l1600.jpg

Steve

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Steve,

Thanks. The other one I have is Duke Snider.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭

I think they are in the large guides under ASA if I recall correctly.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@SDSportsFan said:
    I think this one might be the key:

I found this set listed in the Standard Catalog of BB Cards, as a TCMA issue from 1980. So, the Spahn and Berra sets are probably/possibly also TCMA issues.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/djMAAOSwY8BbkFwh/s-l1600.jpg

Steve

That is definitely a TCMA issue from the early 80s, the Spahn set is not.

• Options

Can't read the print anymore, but the memory is still sharp!

• Options

Apparently some sets were issued with 1 card autographed. That one above looks like a repack w/o the auto.

• Options
  • Options

Here is a bit more, that if correct, leads the issue back to Renata Galasso, close to TCMA, but not the same.

https://baseballcardpedia.nfshost.com/index.php/1982_ASA_Mickey_Mantle

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2020 5:08AM

@mrmopar said:
    Here is a bit more, that if correct, leads the issue back to Renata Galasso, close to TCMA, but not the same.

https://baseballcardpedia.nfshost.com/index.php/1982_ASA_Mickey_Mantle

That looks like the set and it also listed the Snider set that I also have. No auto in my set, though. Thanks for your help.

• Options
    edited December 9, 2020 7:36PM

Well, in my defense, the 2005 and 2007 Standard Catalogs (the only ones I have) don't have any of the ASA sets listed :(

;)
    Steve

• Options

They have been dropping stuff for several years because the books got too big and the print too small. I have big books staggering years, dating back to nearly when they started them and often there are some good stuff that has since been dropped/forgotten. I have even gone and bought some of them used very cheap. If it wouldn't cost me too much, I'd love to have a full run of Beckett Almanacs and Krause Standard Catalogs, but you really don't get much from older editions if you have a few every couple of years apart.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2020 6:29AM

@mrmopar said:
    Can't read the print anymore, but the memory is still sharp!!

gotta say, it's weird seeing a clean, manicured thumbnail in a pic. 👍

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like COMC has them as 1982 w/green and red bordered versions: https://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=asa+spahn,ot,i100

• Options

haha, I do like to practice good hygiene. I have seen some of the pictures you imply with that comment. The feet are especially scary...

@blurryface said:

@mrmopar said:
    Can't read the print anymore, but the memory is still sharp!!

gotta say, it's weird seeing a clean, manicured thumbnail in a pic. 👍

• Options

So, after I saw this post the other day, I did scan ebay and tried to nab a cheap Spahn auto. it appears the red copies are where you'd see the certified autograph, at least from this small sample size. I can't say for sure if I own any of the certified autographs, but I do have a number of singles from the various sets and can't say I recall noticing a color variation. Then again, maybe all mine were green (that is what I recall them being). You never know what you are missing if you do not have attention to detail!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=spahn+asa&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=98258-7327&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

This makes perfect sense, as the green set above looks like maybe it was a repackage or reissue at a later date. It's possible that they were reissued with a new printing under a different name w/o autographs and sold in these prepackaged ways, maybe as collector club offerings or retail hangers.

CMC, I think, made minor league cards at some point and may have been a card producer/distributor. Again testing my memory, both those late 80s/early 90s Canseco and Mattingly boxed sets with the cards and the small record might have been CMC as well.

• Options

Yep, they were. Assuming these were the same CMC, which I think it pretty likely. Damn, I am good sometimes!