Home U.S. Coin Forum

I am interested in conversing with Franklin Mint coin/medal collectors-anyone?

I am new here. Would 7 jaguars post and tell me his contact info. I hear he is the Franklin Mint guru.

Tagged:

Answers

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m no guru but I do like Franklin Mint products. Sterling gets no love here and the FM even less.
    Welcome.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start by doing this: @7Jaguars so he'll be alerted. ;)

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 12:50PM

LOL. Ok, I am guilty of being a fanatic - but of coins only & prob know a bit more about their Caribbean issues. Please feel free to PM me or ask questions in this forum.
    Best,
    Eric

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

This may get more attention in the precious metals forum.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree that there might be more interest in a discussion over on precious metals. I think some of the earlier FM products- eg, the flags of America which have roughly 100 ounces of silver and can be obtained at near melt-are a fun way to accumulate silver.

Higashiyama
  • Thanks to everyone for you help. 7jaguars asked me to PM him. What is PM?

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not in any way a FM guru, but I am aware and appreciate some of their work. I don't believe that I own any FM pieces, but I do have a few nice sterling commemorative medals issued by other private issuers.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@danielwball said:
    Thanks to everyone for you help. 7jaguars asked me to PM him. What is PM?

Click on his username. Then click on the message symbol. DO NOT just type into his activity window.

Hope this helps!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a copy of the Krause catalog on Franklin Mint issues? I believe the last edition was published circa 1982. It contains a great deal of detailed information about and photos of the issues and the original mintages. If you are serious about Franklin Mint issues you should seek out a copy of this catalog.

All glory is fleeting.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. There are some threads on the World coin forum that address Franklin Mint issues.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 6:06PM

PM

private message

click on the name

click on message

you'll see the area for typing

zPM zprivate zmessage zprivatemessage

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

check your PMs

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sterling silver is certainly one of the 'no respect' forms of silver, at least by most on this forum.

But... you will find there are those who do appreciate some of the past Franklin Mint issues. I am also one of them. It is kind of ironic; Franklin Mint became synonymous with kitschy, over priced, gimmicky issues. Guess who is doing that now? Why... the US Mint! Curved coins, pink gold, gimmicky finishes, and on and on! And horrible PC designs. And expensive prices. The US Mint has become the new 'Franklin Mint'!!!

As mentioned previously, the best guide out there that I am aware of is the Franklin Mint Guidebook, 1982 issue. It is rather pricey since there is not any other printed reference that I am aware of (with as much info), though there are some websites that have some info. Sure would like to see a new updated and more complete Franklin Mint Guidebook come on the market.

----- kj
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another thing about Franklin Mint issues: some of the silver medals are of very low mintage, in the 100's originally. After the many silver melts that have occurred, who knows the remaining number of any of the issues. (other issues such as the Presidential Series had much higher mintage issues).

----- kj
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Some more ...
    1975 Barbados 5 Cents

1975 Barbados Dollar

• I need some help: I am looking for the mint or producer of the six coin set of .999 gold coins (1.755 troy ounces) of the six Pepsi Cola logos ( of 1898, 1905, 1906 1950, 1962 and 1972--not sure of these exact logo dates.

@danielwball said:
    I need some help: I am looking for the mint or producer of the six coin set of .999 gold coins (1.755 troy ounces) of the six Pepsi Cola logos ( of 1898, 1905, 1906 1950, 1962 and 1972--not sure of these exact logo dates.

Best to open your own thread, and include photos.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 8:40PM

@coinkat said:
    There are some threads on the World coin forum that address Franklin Mint issues.

Agree. There's some good demand for the quality Franklin Mint proof sets.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of these. It's a massive silver coin that, if I'm not mistaken, was minted by the Franklin Mint for Panama.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Panama Franklin mint proof sets from 1980 and later are deceptively tough. The interesting component for Franklin mint proofs sets is simply trying to handicap the surviving population. Even though the 20 Balboas above may only be .500 silver... the mintage is fairly low and one can only guess how many have survived.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Yes, love the Franklin Mint coins although the obscene Panama 500 Balboas are basically at $2k+ USD...

But let me emphasize, I am interested in coins only and not dolls or plates or cars or jewelry or even medals..

CK is quite correct, and quite a number of these later sets sell for multiples of issue. The really interesting ones IMO are the currency coin uncirculated strikes, some of which DID circulate in the target countries, and some of which are not only IMO beautifully designed but on occasion very rare with increasing interest these days....

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to beat low mintage, high quality, and solid silver.

A few of the FM issues are heavily melted and most have suffered significant degradation but not much of the silver is heavily melted I believe. Keep in mind though that if a dealer can't sell something at a premium he'll sell it to someone buying it for melt. Even today it can be difficult to get much premium for the most common FM material so there is a continual flow to the melters. Eventually almost all this stuff will be overmelted even if it hasn't been yet.

FM packaging is usually as high quality as the coins themselves so fresh sets are the norm rather than the exception as with many world mints.

Tempus fugit.
  • KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do absolutely love my Franklin mint vintage silver...
    But, I also happen own what could easily be considered the absolute Queen of all Franklin Mint pieces, ever.
    I present to you the Papua New Guinea 100 Kina Gold with the worlds largest butterfly.
    In the ultra rare MS69!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1991 book **Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog 2nd edition ** by Medcalf & Russell listed numerous Franklin Mint issues related to Hawaii, however the listing was incomplete. To fix this situation for Hawaii collectors, I self-published a book that fills in the missing issues and organized the FM issues by category.

The Franklin Mint issues is ideal for the "Alapi'i Collecting". https://thehawaiiananumismatist.com/alapii-collecting/

edited December 9, 2020 9:07AM

@7Jaguars said:

But let me emphasize, I am interested in coins only and not dolls or plates or cars or jewelry or even medals..

Not even the Civil War chess set? :o:D

edited December 9, 2020 1:22PM

Absolutely not. I detest that other crap. I confess to getting to FM non-coin items:

• 10,000 gm bar from melted US Silver reserves @ bullion
      • Lady of the Lake Bronze sculpture (it is beautiful).

PS - Not sure if the gold Papua 100K above is Franklin Mint although it looks like it, no monogram.

I looked up the bronze above - very impressive.

My non-numismatic FM guilty pleasure is the porcelain Romeo and Juliet candlesticks. Incredible detail and very well done.

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2020 2:06PM

@7Jaguars said:
    PS - Not sure if the gold Papua 100K above is Franklin Mint although it looks like it, no monogram.

I confirmed with both Heritage and Stack's that it is indeed FM :-)
    Also here's a reference on PCGS https://www.pcgs.com/news/queen-alexandra-birdwing-butterfly-coin-of-papau-new-guinea

And here are the MS mintage numbers https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces99359.html

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

The different Franklin Mint stuff was so much fun in the 80's. During that decade, Deak/Perera made a two-way market in most issues. That was great ! I sold them many different sets.

edited December 9, 2020 4:31PM

Don’t want to come off an ass but if PCGS and NGC, Heritage et al said FM for that PNG 1990 100k, then I have to call them in on it as All are wrong ! I do not believe all the Perth Mint proofs were actually sold as they about comparable rarity to the currency/unc. There was also a platinum issue of this coin, check dates as there are 1990 and 1992.
    (I know, Nerd Attack)
    Here is my proof and the certificate of authenticity (COA):

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

check your PMs

When I first joined the forum years ago, a few posters were kind enough to help me out navigating the site and posting pictures. I will say that it really made me feel welcome and was super helpful. Thanks to @MsMorrisine for his detailed instructions. Very nice of you to take the time out of your day to create a step by step guide with pictures. Well done!

PS - the PCGS article cites the 1978 Franklin Mint version of the 100k, not 1990...I have this one in the scarcer unc. variety...

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

Im a sportscard collector and I just inherited several Franklin Mint sets (silver) from the 1970s. They include

Kings & Queens of England (2 sets)
    Signers if the Declaration
    Michelangelo
    US Presidents
    Eisenhower Dollar Proofs

All in the original blister packs.

Based on what I have been able to dig up on the search engines I have around 300 Troy ounces of silver in total, but as collectibles these things aren’t worth much more than the melt value.

Is this an accurate understanding?

Dave
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Franklin mint products will be highly collectable when classic US coinage has been forgotten, but not before."

I have a few of their products that I bought below melt. I have done OK as silver has risen; the original purchaser, not so much.

Vplite99
  • Hello. I have five sets of 5 medals each of National Commemorative Society sterling silver uncirculated medals. They are of historic events and people in U. S. History. I also have another 15 single medals of the same type. Is there any interest?

• I might be. Can you give me the ASW actual silver weight, or sterling weight of each medal?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file