Home Sports Talk

Newest Auto Pickup - The Greatest College LB Ever

bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Ok. I know I'm an OU Homer and anticipate some vitriolic feedback. No worries. I just am happy to get this card. And, for the record, the only 2-Time Butkus award winner EVER. Yeah, he catches HECK for his relative failure in the NFL. And the Bo video doesn't help. But he was the only defensive player truly chasing. And (watch the video) he was not squared up at the goal line. He was coming off a block! :) Plus, he's changed quite a bit since those days. Not so brash for sure.

But Man, did he ever bring it in college. Ok, let the flagellation commence! :p It's all part of the fun.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a less than anticipated pro career can kind of tarnish the college career. Sounds like you are making that case.

I haven't watched that video in a bit, but I think I know what you're saying.

Nice card.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

BTW- I have studied college football and Tommy Nobis, Lee Roy Jordan, and Hugh Green are waaaaaaay underrated IMO. And the best defensive player in college history ( in my humble and limited opinion was Lee Roy Selmon..absolutely unstoppable).

@thisistheshow said:
    Sometimes a less than anticipated pro career can kind of tarnish the college career. Sounds like you are making that case.

I haven't watched that video in a bit, but I think I know what you're saying.

Nice card.

It is certainly debatable. Bosworth did too many steroids too early. It wasn't illegal then either. But when he was healthy, he was someone you wanted on your side. :) `I do hate the perception that he was a bad player. He was a great player when he played.

Here's a pretty decent (and controversial) example to some. I'm a Tebow fan. I think he is one of the greatest college football players, and possibly the best college QB, ive seen.

I enjoyed and appreciated his short NFL career. But I am sure that some invalidated his college career , etc after his NFL career.

@thisistheshow said:
    Here's a pretty decent (and controversial) example to some. I'm a Tebow fan. I think he is one of the greatest college football players, and possibly the best college QB, ive seen.

I enjoyed and appreciated his short NFL career. But I am sure that some invalidated his college career , etc after his NFL career.

He is definitely one of the top 10 greatest college players ever. No doubt in my mind.

@bobbybakeriv said:

@thisistheshow said:

He is definitely one of the top 10 greatest college players ever. No doubt in my mind.

I actually meant recent example....but decent will do. 🤪

The beauty (to me) in college football is the stories behind the players. The legacies they establish. It may not translate to professional success, but they did it when it meant the most at the time. Tebow certainly did that. So did many others including Vince Young, Steve Davis, Joe Montana, and Shane Conlan. It's a special game to me and I absolutely LOVE college football for it. I enjoy conversing about sports (mainly CFB) and am open to debate. Civil debate that is...

I forgot to mention Tommie Frazier!

It's funny... Football is my favorite sport, but for probably most of my adult life I have been more NFL focussed. Recently I was thinking about it. Why? 🤔😂😂

Thinking back, I got married in my early twenties. Started a family. I loved watching sports. I think I dedicated the Sundays to watching, and just didn't have time to do two days. I never really thought of this much, and may sound crazy.

I'm now 45. Grew up in Massachusetts. My earliest great college football memory is the Doug Flutie pass. I grew up in a house adjacent to my Grandparents. I know it was winter, so the windows weren't open, but when Phelan caught that pass I remember screaming and hearing the cheers from next door at their house.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 1:05AM

I watch college football all day every weekend. I'll turn the TV on at about 12 p.m. and rotate between Fox, ABC, and CBS all day, up until I pass out at around 10 p.m. I've done this for years, I just love the game at the college level. I love the atmosphere of it.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best friend is a HUGE OU fan, his favorite player was Jamal Holloway #4 🏈

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I still say that Bo never ran over Boz, that is one of the most overhyped and overrated plays ever. At the angle Bo had on Boz there is no player in the history of football that ever would have made a stop on that play.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

The man sure knew how to get the most out of the hype around him. I put him in the Dennis Rodman category. Great talent but a greater promoter.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man thought I was gonna open this thread to see a Shane Conlan auto.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    And I still say that Bo never ran over Boz, that is one of the most overhyped and overrated plays ever. At the angle Bo had on Boz there is no player in the history of football that ever would have made a stop on that play.

Exactly. If that wasn't at the 1yd line, it would be just another play. Boz tackled him after about a 3yd gain.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Derrick Thomas was pretty good, RIP

He holds every Alabama record for quarterback sacks with 52 during his career from the 1985 to 1988 seasons, 27 in 1988 and five in a single game against Texas A&M in 1988.

At Bama and KC.

@Bullsitter said:
    Derrick Thomas was pretty good, RIP

Yes, he surely was.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think his daughter was on the sooner volleyball team :#