Home Sports Talk

NON sports cruise ?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

We've cruised several times with Celebrity and a small yacht cruise through Croatia...actually have 2 cruises scheduled for 2021.

I'm considering a Viking long ship cruise, destination not yet finalized. If you've cruised on Viking, or another long ship through Europe and have a minute to PM me with your viewpoints, pro and con, pls do so.
Looking at an Amsterdam-Basel, departing from Zurich back to Atlanta.
Tks
Al

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn Al, this sounds like a great trip!! Hopefully you can get it done without any delays!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wife’s been harping on me to go on a cruise. I don’t like water. I don’t have a fear of boats, I have a fear of drowning. 🤭

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Wife’s been harping on me to go on a cruise. I don’t like water. I don’t have a fear of boats, I have a fear of drowning. 🤭

If you're serious...I would HIGHLY recommend a cruise. Go to Vactionstogo.com and search for literally hundreds and hundreds of destinations. I have a preference for Celebrity cruise lines and have sailed with them to the Western and Southern Caribbean. Will be sailing with them in June to Bermuda, and in December to the Eastern Caribbean. I would not recommend Carnival...the name says it all. if that's your cup of tea, party, party...they're for you.

We sailed with Celebrity out of Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand, 14 days and it was SUPERB. Worst part was the flight from LA to Sydney...14+ hours. This cruise also stopped in Tasmania then on to New Zealand. We were amazed at the view in the Sydney harbor...when we got to the top deck, we were right across from the Sydney Opera House that you've probably seen a hundred times, the shell like thing...and next to the bridge people pay to walk over and where they shoot the fireworks on New Year's Eve. Awesome country, super friendly people!! I would rate this trip as A+++++.

Always get a Veranda room, its nice to just watch the world go by and take a nap. Don't do inside or limited view. Make sure it's an unobstructed view...can we say lifeboats? If gambling is your thing, blackjack, craps, slots and a daily texas holdem game is available. Entertainment is excellent in the large theatre...lots of stuff to do, or not do.

We have also cruised through the islands of Croatia on a small yacht. Gotta say, this was the best trip we've ever taken.

Not likely you'll drown...unless you're swimming and something happens. If you ever do Croatia on a small yacht, the captain does periodically pull into a cove, drop anchor and we all go swimming. Priceless!!

Besides the Vactionstogo website, Earthboundexpeditions.com is an outstanding company to travel with. We did a tour with them of Southern Italy and Sicily. Too many positives to mention, but, it was excellent!!! This is the company we went with to Croatia.

Best thing about a cruise is you unpack once and repack once. Just blend with the atmosphere and crowds at the terminal, and understand that customs is customs, you can't rush it, just go with it.

Tons more to say, but PM me if you have any questions.

Al

@2dueces said:

I went on my first cruise in 2019, huge ship that took us from Boston to Bermuda. I didn’t get seasick but it took me the entire trip to get used to the boat and the rocking motions it was making. I admit I was nervous a few times lol. After 48 hours I was getting restless being stuck on a boat but it was a good time just the same.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, that ship is huge. I wouldn't mind going in a cruise some day. The best vacation I've ever been on was back in 1992, I went to Paris France with my grandparents. I wish I still had the photos we took. I remember going to the famous Louvre museum and standing directly in front of the famous Mona Lisa painting by Leonardo Da Vinci. The city of Paris is beautiful, especially at night when it's all lit up. We went up on the Eifel Tower and the view was unbelievable. I remember we also traveled to Versailles and visited the palace at Versailles where all of them King Louis's live, that place was absolutely huge. We walked through the famous hall of mirrors at Versailles also. I do believe the treaty that ended WW1 was signed at Versailles if I'm not mistaken. It was quite an experience. The only thing I didn't like was having to fly overseas to get there and flying overseas to get back. The flight took forever.

Double D, that sounds like an awesome time going to France! I’ve never been but would love to go see some WW2 history for sure. I don’t really like to fly, it’s not that I am scared it’s not having any control whatsoever that gets me unsettled.

@perkdog said:
    Double D, that sounds like an awesome time going to France! I’ve never been but would love to go see some WW2 history for sure. I don’t really like to fly, it’s not that I am scared it’s not having any control whatsoever that gets me unsettled.

I hear you about the flying, the only reason I flew back in those days was because I was young, and I didn't really know any better. I will never fly again. Ever. I just don't trust airplanes because if something goes wrong mechanically, it's over, there's no escape. Never again will I fly.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I hear you about the flying, the only reason I flew back in those days was because I was young, and I didn't really know any better. I will never fly again. Ever. I just don't trust airplanes because if something goes wrong mechanically, it's over, there's no escape. Never again will I fly.

Someday after the apocalypse, when we have our giant Sports Talk meet and greet, you will have to get there Madden style.

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Totally my thoughts as well. I used to fly all the time in my early 20’s but after 9/11 I been very skeptical also the no escape thing as well. Yes we are on the same page as usual 👍👍

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may think that traveling by plane is inherently more dangerous than driving an automobile. After all, an air crash is catastrophic, with more loss of life, injury and property damage than a car accident. A few U.S. government statistics can shed light on this question.

Driving
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration compiles and researches accident statistics for the entire country. Its 2008 Traffic Safety Facts Data boils down the millions of accidents and other statistics to 1.27 fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. In contrast, the 1998 rate was 1.58 fatalities per 100 million miles.

Flying
    The National Transportation Safety Board compiles aviation accident data. Preliminary statistics for 2008 show only 20 accidents for U.S. air carriers operating scheduled service. This works out to nearly zero accidents per million flying miles. No one died, and only five people were seriously injured.

I feel comfortable travelling in large airplanes.

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Someday after the apocalypse, when we have our giant Sports Talk meet and greet, you will have to get there Madden style.

No, I only travel by horse these days, and I never travel without my cape!

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I'm asking this question for a friend.....

Why were you wearing the cape?

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Double D’s alter ego is Superman ☝️

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

You set yourself up for this one.

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Or perhaps, I was just auditioning to be your straight-man sidekick.

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Or perhaps, I was just auditioning to be your straight-man sidekick.

Sounds great, but let me give you some good advice that will help you throughout your life, just always remember....

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂