Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stack's shipping question

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I paid for a coin I won on Stack's about 12 days ago, and I still haven't received a shipping notice. Before I bother them, is this common amongst the auction houses to wait this long to ship a coin?

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2020 5:12PM

I experienced the same thing. They are usually better than this, but oh well. They moved HQ or something to that effect and shipping was delayed across the board. My coin arrived today safe and sound.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it can take a couple weeks from Heritage or Stack's

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I buy from Heritage or GC, i pay by eCheck, and the item(s) typically ship the next day (unless with Heritage if the coins are "out of town" coming back from an auction). Stacks is a bit "behind the times" in several ways. One of which is you cannot pay via eCheck. As such, you have to mail them your payment, then wait for it to "clear" before they will ship. Not convenient, but no big deal in the overall scheme of things in today's world!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    When I buy from Heritage or GC, i pay by eCheck, and the item(s) typically ship the next day (unless with Heritage if the coins are "out of town" coming back from an auction). Stacks is a bit "behind the times" in several ways. One of which is you cannot pay via eCheck. As such, you have to mail them your payment, then wait for it to "clear" before they will ship. Not convenient, but no big deal in the overall scheme of things in today's world!

Steve

I pay Heritage with eCheck and it still sometimes takes a week or more to ship. FWIW

I also once bought an item from one of Stack's Hong Kong auctions and it took 6 weeks to get shipped.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

Steve

I paid Stacks with a card.

• Options

@JoeLewis said:
    I paid Stacks with a card.

But with the low five figures, their additional fee for using a credit card is "expensive", even with the "points" or cash back!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I pay Heritage with eCheck and it still sometimes takes a week or more to ship. FWIW

As previously noted, if the coins first have to be returned to Dallas from an out of town auction, then yes, that adds up time before they can ship ANY coins. But during Covid with the auctions taking place in their home office, the coins typically ship a day or so after the full auction has ended. If it's a typical multi-day auction, i agree that if the coin(s) your purchased were on the first day, it will then take a bit more time.

• Options

@winesteven said:

@jmlanzaf said:

As previously noted, if the coins first have to be returned to Dallas from an out of town auction, then yes, that adds up time before they can ship ANY coins. But during Covid with the auctions taking place in their home office, the coins typically ship a day or so after the full auction has ended. If it's a typical multi-day auction, i agree that if the coin(s) your purchased were on the first day, it will then take a bit more time.

Most of the purchases I'm talking about are inexpensive foreign coins in their weekly auction. I'm not mad about it or anything, but it does often take them a week or more to ship for whatever reason.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 6:23AM

Most of the times my coins will ship before payment, having legacy status. The funny thing for me is the slowest shipments I have had from Heritage have been when I pay by eCheck!

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:

Steve

I also once bought an item from one of Stack's Hong Kong auctions and it took 6 weeks to get shipped.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won one last month and took 6 days after paying to get FedEx shipping tracking info. Not during any holiday time.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2020 9:49AM

@davewesen said:
    I won one last month and took 6 days after paying to get FedEx shipping tracking info. Not during any holiday time.

Did you really "win" the coin, or instead were you the "High Bidder' and you bought it at a price you were willing to pay?

The last time I "won" something, it didn't cost me anything, and if it did, it was the cost of a raffle or lottery ticket, which was MUCH lower than the value of what i received!

Just semantics, no big deal.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

"Due to our move this past week to a new facility and the Thanksgiving holiday, orders from this auction were slightly delayed, but your order has been marked as “ready to ship” and should be going out in the mail within the next few days. You will be receiving the tracking number/shipping information once your order departs.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but can assure you that we are working our hardest to get all of these orders shipped out."

Kind Regards,

Stack's Bowers Galleries

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven What @amwldcoin about "Legacy" status is correct. Indeed, when I win (I do like that word! :)) a coin at a Heritage auction on a Friday when they are at a show away from Dallas, the coin often ships out to me on Saturday. I guess they would rather ship the coin to me from the show rather than transport the coin to Dallas and then ship it to me. Anyway, you ought to ask someone at Heritage about gaining "Legacy" status. i am not at all a big fish in the numismatic sea (I often feel more like chum) , so if I can gain Legacy status I expect it will be easy for you.

Mark

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the email I received on 11/24:

Dear Friend,

Over the last weekend Stack's Bowers Galleries has moved into our beautiful headquarters in Costa Mesa, California. Please make a note of the new address for when you send future payments or consignments to an upcoming event.

Stack's Bowers Galleries
    1550 Scenic Ave. Suite 150
    Costa Mesa, CA 92626

You are receiving this message because a package is scheduled to be shipped to you. Due to our move and the upcoming holiday, your package is scheduled to mail next week, November 30th through December 2nd. If there is an urgent need to receive the package earlier, please let me know as soon as possible. If we need to process a rush shipment, I am happy to accommodate this as best I can. If you were successful in more than one sale and would like to combine your orders for shipping, please email me at Wberkley@stacksbowers.com .

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@davewesen said:

Did you really "win" the coin, or instead were you the "High Bidder' and you bought it at a price you were willing to pay?

The last time I "won" something, it didn't cost me anything, and if it did, it was the cost of a raffle or lottery ticket, which was MUCH lower than the value of what i received!

Just semantics, no big deal.

Winner’s Curse

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience both Stack's and Great Collections ship auction lots very quickly, and Heritage is a very, very distant third along with their overpriced shipping fees.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file