Home Q & A Forum

Grading Standards Between US and Foreign Coins

I did a couple of searches of the boards, but didn't find anything that specifically addresses my question. If I've overlooked a thread or two, please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction.

I have a number of foreign coins and notes (mostly from Europe) that I acquired while stationed overseas. All of these are "pre-Euro," so I've got German, French, Dutch, etc. in the mix. My question is whether the grading standards are the same for coins from different countries. For example, if I look over my German 10-pfennig coin and it grades at AU-55 based on the criteria in my Yeoman's book on US coins, would that same grade be found in a book on international coins, or could I find a chart or tool that allows for grades to be translated across different grading guides?

I am trying to get the different coins and notes put into cards and protectors, but I'd prefer not to have to buy an international coin guide if I can avoid it. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

If you are fairly good at grading US coins your eye & knowledge should get you close enough for what you are doing. ;)
    Any grading guides should help to get you even closer.